PDA

View Full Version : Food stamps now accepted at grocerty store Starbucks

tsai3904
12-02-2011, 10:50 AM
http://www.kptv.com/story/16160615/fox-12-investigators-find-food-stamps-used-for

oyarde
12-02-2011, 12:51 PM
Starbucks has groceries ??

ShaneEnochs
12-02-2011, 12:56 PM

This. Guess they're expanding.

Krugerrand
12-02-2011, 01:03 PM
This really parallels the thread where people wanted to drug test welfare recipients.

Look - when you give people money you don't get much say over how its spent. Plus, I really don't like government controlling people, so I'd rather no controls on how its spent. A bigger fish to fry is what wasteful things the corporations do with their government kickbacks.

This strikes me as "YOU don't want THEM eating with YOU at YOUR store do you?" - class warfare.

The problem is NOT that government lacks control over people.

edit because this lines deserves repeating:

heavenlyboy34
12-02-2011, 01:03 PM
No, read the story. This particular Starbucks is located in a grocery store, and their menu items are thus considered "groceries".

>>While FOX 12 learned you cannot use an Oregon Trail Card at a corporate, stand-alone Starbucks location, the Starbucks inside Safeway is run by the store. Fowler tried to use her card at a stand-alone Starbucks, but was denied.However, the register at the in-store location considers the purchase a "grocery item" and as long as it's cold, it's allowed, according to store employees.
"It shouldn't be allowed, whether it's a cold item or not," said Fowler. "It's a luxury item. If you really want one (Frappuccino), save your money and go buy one. Don't use the system.
A spokesman with the State Department of Human Services told FOX 12 he wasn't aware this practice was happening.

heavenlyboy34
12-02-2011, 01:06 PM
This really parallels the thread where people wanted to drug test welfare recipients.

Look - when you give people money you don't get much say over how its spent. Plus, I really don't like government controlling people, so I'd rather no controls on how its spent. A bigger fish to fry is what wasteful things the corporations do with their government kickbacks.

This strikes me as "YOU don't want THEM eating with YOU at YOUR store do you?" - class warfare.

edit because this lines deserves repeating:
The problem with that argument is that in reality, to the extent one accepts government handouts, he surrenders liberty to the government.

Krugerrand
12-02-2011, 01:15 PM
The problem with that argument is that in reality, to the extent one accepts government handouts, he surrenders liberty to the government.

I disagree. One's liberty is only surrendered when they threaten/compromise somebody else's liberty.

You drive on public roads - does that mean its okay to stop you and search your car for no reason? That public road is a 'government handout.' Our money is stolen from us every where we turn around. Trying to get some of it back is not taking a handout. Government is so pervasive everywhere that one could argue almost everything is some form of direct/indirect government handout.

ShaneEnochs
12-02-2011, 01:22 PM
I don't really understand the line of thinking. I also don't understand why people use food stamps to buy candy and soft drinks. I use mine to buy FOOD, but to each their own.