PDA

View Full Version : Indefinite Detention Bill passes Senate 93-7

Ben Bernanke
12-02-2011, 10:15 AM
http://www.infowars.com/indefinite-detention-bill-passes-senate-93-7/

I thought Rand was able to stop it yesterday? :mad:

Not only did it pass, but it passed by a landslide. No wonder Congress' approval rating is what...9%?

This is probably the most dangerous bill to have passed since the Patriot Act.

acptulsa
12-02-2011, 10:20 AM
Just damn.

We need to educate on this one. I haven't seen hide nor hair of this mentioned in the lamestream media. This could be the issue that puts us over the top, if only we can help people understand it.

The provisions of the PATRIOT Act were used in what huge percentage more often for other than actual terrorism cases? And this thing is exactly how vague about who is a terrorist? It's Paul Revere time--tyranny isn't just coming, it's here!

Tunink
12-02-2011, 10:27 AM
He had the amendment stripped.

Ben Bernanke
12-02-2011, 10:29 AM

I thought his amendment failed....but he was able to prevent passage of the entire bill by using a roll call vote? Apparently this happened last night, I honestly don't know, I thought the bill had been defeated.

acptulsa
12-02-2011, 10:30 AM

And at 93-7, there's no way he could have pulled off a filibuster.

Does any site have a list of the seven senators yet? If the Senate can confer a Medal of Freedom, it seems to me that We, the People can too--and these intrepid few deserve one.

flightlesskiwi
12-02-2011, 10:32 AM
you know what's maddening? all of these bills are deliberately confusing!! :mad:

LibertyEagle
12-02-2011, 10:33 AM
Nope, and this is what Justin Amash had to say. http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?333965-Sen.-Paul-Statement-on-Defeat-of-Detainee-Amendment&p=3797004#post3797004

LibertyEagle
12-02-2011, 10:36 AM
This video should go on the front page, in my opinion. http://www.fox19.com/story/16169862/reality-check-did-the-us-senate-just-give-away-your-right-to-due-process

Bosco Warden
12-02-2011, 10:42 AM
OK, what s wrong here?

Infowars vs Rand Paul?

I am going to side with Rand, until I see or hear otherwise.

flightlesskiwi
12-02-2011, 10:50 AM
OK, what s wrong here?

Infowars vs Rand Paul?

I am going to side with Rand, until I see or hear otherwise.

i'm pulling Justin's quote that LibertyEagle linked:

Justin Amash
UPDATED: Here's the roll call for S 1867, National Defense Authorization Act, which grants the President new statutory authority to indefinitely detain American citizens on American soil, without charge or trial, at his sole discretion. I voted no on the House version of this bill, H R 1540, on May 26, 2011 [http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2011/roll375.xml]. The Senate bill, S 1867, passed 93-7.

Some have asserted that the defeat of Sen. Sessions' amendment, S Amdt 1274, means that the egregious detainee provisions have been defeated. That is incorrect. First, logically, the defeat of an amendment cannot change the problematic language in the underlying bill. Second, S Amdt 1274 provides that even if a detainee (American citizen) were to receive a civilian trial and be acquitted, he STILL could be held indefinitely in military custody. In short, it was an effort to make the bill even more destructive of our Constitution. That is all that was defeated.

Others have asserted that Sen. Feinstein's amendment, S Amdt 1456, protects the rights of American citizens and preserves constitutional due process. Unfortunately, it does not. It's just more cleverly worded nonsense to preserve the status quo, which, according to the Obama administration, permits the President to deny constitutional due process to American citizens without having to provide any justification.

Although the President has threatened to veto this bill, he actually does not object to the most egregious provisions related to the indefinite detention of American citizens, so those provisions are not likely to be removed without further public outcry.

this happened with the Libya legislation fiasco. Justin was pretty much the only one giving correct information about that.

kylejack
12-02-2011, 12:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNAHjsAnTd4

Sematary
12-02-2011, 12:30 PM
still not over. it has to be reconciled with the house bill and the get by a threatened presidential veto. be sure to let your senators know what a bunch of scumbags you think they are!

HOLLYWOOD
12-02-2011, 12:56 PM
So are groups going to sue?

As Spencer Ackerman highlights (http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/12/senate-military-detention/), the bill completely violates the sixth amendment in that it allows American citizens to be locked up indefinitely, including in a foreign detention center, without any burden of proof whatsoever. An American merely has to be declared a terrorist and they can be abducted off the streets and never seen again.

kylejack
12-02-2011, 01:02 PM
Can a suit be filed if it hasn't been used to violate rights yet, or do we have to wait until they detain someone and then sue?

mczerone
12-02-2011, 01:03 PM
So are groups going to sue?

When the Federal courts grant them standing. So, uh, never... Cause to have standing you have to be subject to the policy. But if you're subject to the policy you've already had your habeas corpus rights revoked and no court can/will hear your charges against the military that's holding you without trial or charges.

The courts aren't going to be the answer anymore - it can only be a social change at this point. The people are going to have to throw this new yolk off - and I don't see them working up enough outrage just yet. But it's building.

flightlesskiwi
12-02-2011, 02:00 PM
When the Federal courts grant them standing. So, uh, never... Cause to have standing you have to be subject to the policy. But if you're subject to the policy you've already had your habeas corpus rights revoked and no court can/will hear your charges against the military that's holding you without trial or charges.

The courts aren't going to be the answer anymore - it can only be a social change at this point. The people are going to have to throw this new yolk off - and I don't see them working up enough outrage just yet. But it's building.

THIS is why it's important that states start neutering the federal government's reach through nullification.

LibertyEagle
12-02-2011, 03:16 PM
still not over. it has to be reconciled with the house bill and the get by a threatened presidential veto. be sure to let your senators know what a bunch of scumbags you think they are!

Yes, this is where things stand now.