PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul's secretary of state, Michael Scheuer -- if this official?

vechorik
12-02-2011, 09:25 AM
I just saw a video with that title and wondered if Michael Scheuer even knows about it.
Is this official? Michael Scheuer would be Ron Paul's secretary of state?

If so, why the heck hasn't the campaign capitalized on this?
Glenn Beck has had Michael Scheuer on his program dozens, and dozens of times.
The evangelical Christians will recognize/know/and be more apt to trust what Michael Scheuer says.
It might go a long way in helping Dr. Paul's image with the "Israel/Middle East war-thing"

bluesc
12-02-2011, 09:26 AM
No, it's not official. Michael did leave an open offer to the campaign to help them out in any way he can in the campaign though. Hopefully they take him up on that offer for an ad or something.

NaturalMystic
12-02-2011, 09:33 AM
We truly have some type of illness I was thinking about this yesterday

rp713
12-02-2011, 09:38 AM
i dont think you can be offering or promising positions like that this early. its illegal.

Feeding the Abscess
12-02-2011, 09:46 AM
I hope not. Scheuer is far too hawkish for a Paul administration, and he created the torture and rendition programs while in the CIA. If he keeps his mouth shut about assassinating people and turning the Middle East into a glass-laden parking lot, I'm cool with him helping in the campaign.

vechorik
12-02-2011, 09:48 AM
Since Michael Scheuer has been on Glenn Beck's program so many times, I'm wondering about their relationship.
It would be AWESOME to see Dr. Paul and Michael Scheuer discuss Israel/Middle East vs Glenn Beck's position Israel/Middle East
and since I'm brainstorming--- could it ever happen that Dr. Paul and Michael Scheuer appear WITH Glenn Beck to discuss this?

I promise you, this "Israel thing" is what keeps a lot of the Tea Party people away from Dr. Paul and it's Glenn Beck doing the damage.

bluesc
12-02-2011, 09:55 AM
Since Michael Scheuer has been on Glenn Beck's program so many times, I'm wondering about their relationship.
It would be AWESOME to see Dr. Paul and Michael Scheuer discuss Israel/Middle East vs Glenn Beck's position Israel/Middle East
and since I'm brainstorming--- could it ever happen that Dr. Paul and Michael Scheuer appear WITH Glenn Beck to discuss this?

I promise you, this "Israel thing" is what keeps a lot of the Tea Party people away from Dr. Paul and it's Glenn Beck doing the damage.

Have you heard Michael's position on Israel? With the language he uses to describe the situation, it wouldn't help. If he sticks to the Muslim terrorist side of things, he can help a lot.

MikeM39
12-02-2011, 01:21 PM
Have you heard Michael's position on Israel? With the language he uses to describe the situation, it wouldn't help. If he sticks to the Muslim terrorist side of things, he can help a lot.

You are right, Scheuer comes off as anti-Israel in his comments, we should avoid him until the election is won.

musicmax
12-02-2011, 01:34 PM

Agreed. He has "Justin Raimondo Syndrome" - a real smart guy who brings Israel into the discussion even when Israel isn't part of the discussion.

Nate
12-02-2011, 01:41 PM

+1

He really lends credibility to Paul's stance to the "War on Terror" being the Chief of the CIA Bin Laden Unit. He is a Radical Islamist expert & should be used by the campaign as such. In an official campaign capacity I'd want him to shut up on any other subject except Al Qaeda, Bin Laden & the Islamic world & if he has to criticize Israel he needs to do it with extreme caution in how he phrases the criticism.

I understand where he is coming from in his criticism of Israel in that while studying these radical groups he has come to understand that some of their grievances, against both Israel & the US, are justified while the actions they've taken to rectify those wrongs are not. Unfortunately the ill informed warhawks in this country do not seem to understand someone who makes such an argument & lash out at them for disrupting their blissful willful ignorance. "Evil men have no motives, they're just evil! No more thinking necessary."

pulp8721
12-02-2011, 01:50 PM
I've said before if Paul wins, Scheuer needs to run the CIA. Secretary of State requires one to travel around the world representing the country. This man came up with the rendition program, not many leaders, would be comfortable speaking with him. Plus, he would be an even greater target than a normal secretary of state would be because of his CIA past.

kylejack
12-02-2011, 01:56 PM
I've said before if Paul wins, Scheuer needs to run the CIA. Secretary of State requires one to travel around the world representing the country. This man came up with the rendition program, not many leaders, would be comfortable speaking with him. Plus, he would be an even greater target than a normal secretary of state would be because of his CIA past.

Ron Paul intends to dismantle the CIA.

bluesc
12-02-2011, 01:59 PM

No he doesn't. I hope when you are speaking for him you don't tell people that. There is a philosophical view and a practical view.

pulp8721
12-02-2011, 02:06 PM

He told Tim Russert in 2007, he wouldn't shut it down, but merely change their functions.

JohnGalt23g
12-02-2011, 02:11 PM
i dont think you can be offering or promising positions like that this early. its illegal.

Nonsense. A candidate could name an entire shadow cabinet if he liked. It's just that usually the political drawbacks outweigh the benefits.

kylejack
12-02-2011, 02:11 PM
No he doesn't. I hope when you are speaking for him you don't tell people that. There is a philosophical view and a practical view.
Claps when closing CIA (and other departments) is mentioned: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SZKLvEOp9c
Says "We need to take out the CIA": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dECSYm5bSM

Virtually everything the CIA does is illegal. We don't need a special agency to legally collect intelligence, and any legitimate functions they're serving can be rolled into DOD.

bluesc
12-02-2011, 02:13 PM
Claps when closing CIA (and other departments) is mentioned: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SZKLvEOp9c
Says "We need to take out the CIA": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dECSYm5bSM

Virtually everything the CIA does is illegal. We don't need a special agency to legally collect intelligence, and any legitimate functions they're serving can be rolled into DOD.

Where in his plan does it mention eliminating the CIA? Right, it doesn't. He also would like open borders, does that mean he intends to open them when elected?

kylejack
12-02-2011, 02:29 PM
Where in his plan does it mention eliminating the CIA? Right, it doesn't. He also would like open borders, does that mean he intends to open them when elected?
He mentions it in his speech to supporters. Perhaps he doesn't want to post it as a bullet point on his website for political reasons, but he is on the record saying he wants to eliminate it. And rightly so, it is a festering hive of criminality.

bluesc
12-02-2011, 02:33 PM
He mentions it in his speech to supporters. Perhaps he doesn't want to post it as a bullet point on his website for political reasons, but he is on the record saying he wants to eliminate it. And rightly so, it is a festering hive of criminality.

But has not said he will eliminate it when elected, so you shouldn't tell people that unless he does.

kylejack
12-02-2011, 02:47 PM
Liberty Defined

http://i.imgur.com/wdL5z.jpg

bluesc
12-02-2011, 02:49 PM
Liberty Defined

Is that a campaign pledge? Is it in his plan?

No, it's a philosophical view.

kylejack
12-02-2011, 02:53 PM
The CIA is a black box. Much of what they do is secret from the President by design. There's no way to get any accountability without taking it apart. I do not believe that Ron Paul is going to continue to allow assassination programs and other skullduggery. It's unrealistic to imagine him doing so.

Ekrub
12-02-2011, 02:54 PM
The CIA in its CURRENT form should be abolished. I think RP would do a lot to make sure that the CIA isn't flirting around in other countries affairs, but I doubt he would just dismantle the entire CIA. I'm all for it, just think that it would be a bad move politically when we have more pressing issues that need to be solved first.

kylejack
12-02-2011, 02:56 PM
Precisely why I think he will roll legitimate and legal intelligence collection into DOD.

12-02-2011, 02:56 PM
Scheuer, if picked for a cabinet post, would be a far better SecDef who could thoughtfully coordinate intelligence and defense in a way few have ever been able to do. Secretary of State needs a diplomat, someone like Huntsman, while Scheuer is a military and intelligence mind. Or he would work as head of the CIA.

bluesc
12-02-2011, 02:59 PM
The CIA is a black box. Much of what they do is secret from the President by design. There's no way to get any accountability without taking it apart. I do not believe that Ron Paul is going to continue to allow assassination programs and other skullduggery. It's unrealistic to imagine him doing so.

That is speculation. You simply can't tell voters that he will abolish it based on what you believe he will do. Do I believe he would try to roll it into the DIA or something similar? Possibly. Would I tell voters that he is going to do that? No.

Concentrate on what we do know he will do.

kylejack
12-02-2011, 03:13 PM
Scheuer might make a good top analyst, but he shouldn't have any control of either intelligence operations or the military.

GreenBulldog
12-02-2011, 03:46 PM
The CIA in its CURRENT form should be abolished. I think RP would do a lot to make sure that the CIA isn't flirting around in other countries affairs, but I doubt he would just dismantle the entire CIA. I'm all for it, just think that it would be a bad move politically when we have more pressing issues that need to be solved first.

Yes, I agree.

It is called Central INTELLIGENCE Agency, so it should be used for GATHERING INTELLIGENCE.

Paulitics 2011
12-02-2011, 04:21 PM
"In its current form"

Feeding the Abscess
12-02-2011, 08:09 PM
Ron has said multiple times that the CIA should be abolished. There is no debating this point.

Historically, intelligence was collected during wartime. The idea that we must constantly collect intelligence on foreign nations is a canard, a byproduct of a progressive, all-expanding state era.

In no form or fashion should Michael Scheuer have any power in any capacity. The man created the torture and rendition programs while in the CIA.

Feeding the Abscess
12-02-2011, 08:13 PM

Well, he's said that there is no reason why we can't move in that direction (open borders). I take him at his word that he would do just that.

asurfaholic
12-02-2011, 08:21 PM
Cia starts civil wars and assassinates people around the world. Id be disturbed if Paul didnt drastically alter it

Deborah K
12-02-2011, 08:23 PM
Scheuer is a non-interventionist. He fully supports Ron's foreign policy. He will be speaking at the fundraiser "Why Ron Paul is Right on Foreign Policy" this monday in Manhatten.

http://non-intervention.com/

Eric21ND
12-02-2011, 09:25 PM
Ron Paul has always said there was a role for intelligence gathering and having intelligent people looking at it.

Eric21ND
12-02-2011, 09:26 PM
Scheuer, if picked for a cabinet post, would be a far better SecDef who could thoughtfully coordinate intelligence and defense in a way few have ever been able to do. Secretary of State needs a diplomat, someone like Huntsman, while Scheuer is a military and intelligence mind. Or he would work as head of the CIA.
We have this guy for Secretary of Defense

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgWA3fmfVrI

pulp8721
12-03-2011, 01:23 AM
We have this guy for Secretary of Defense

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgWA3fmfVrI

Exactly. While I'm sure Scheuer would be good at the Pentagon, he would be much harder to confirm for the simple reason I believe because he's never worn the uniform. Yes, not every defense secretary has worn the uniform (Dick Cheney anyone?), but Rumsfeld, Gates, and even Panetta have all served in the military. And MacGregor has an impressive track record internally in the Pentagon.

bluesc
12-03-2011, 05:30 AM
Well, he's said that there is no reason why we can't move in that direction (open borders). I take him at his word that he would do just that.

Philosophical view. He said it's not practical with the current economic climate. He also said he would secure the border with troops or agents. Are you going to take him at his word on that too? If you are asked about his plans for the border, give them the best information you have available (since Ron is vague at times).

As long as our borders remain wide open, the security and safety of the American people are at stake.

Enforce Border Security – America should be guarding her own borders and enforcing her own laws instead of policing the world and implementing UN mandates.

-ronpaul2012.com