PDA

View Full Version : TIME: Can Ron Paul Win the Anti-Romney Primary?

bobbyw24
12-02-2011, 05:07 AM
Portsmouth, New Hampshire

http://timeswampland.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/sl_rpaul_1201_blog.jpg?w=600&h=400&crop=1

If the race for the Republican nomination were a children’s story – and let’s face it, Little Miss Moffett, Jack Horner and Dumbo sometimes come to mind – then Ron Paul would surely be the tortoise. While other hares have taken turns racing ahead, Paul has gained slowly and steadily in the polls. The Texas congressman is now running third in New Hampshire and second in Iowa in polls taken before Herman Cain’s latest meltdown. In a year when most candidates are ignoring old-fashioned retail campaigning, Paul has large grassroots organizations in both states. And he had plenty of money with which to play.

“Steady growth is what we panned on and it’s what we have, so it’s incremental, it’s steady,” Paul told reporters after a speech to the Portsmouth Rotary Club on Thursday. “Because one of the things that we know, and I think that the polls show, once we gain supporters they’re very solid, they don’t go back and forth. So if we continue to do what we’re doing and spend even more money between now and the election I think we’re going to come out very close to the top.”

Paul insiders say they believe they have a shot at winning both states. In Iowa they have hard pledges from 20,000 voters. Given that there are usually between 90,000 and 115,000 GOP caucus-goers, 20,000 pledges in an eight-way field is nothing to sneeze at. They also say his internal polls have him at 18% in New Hampshire – easily placing second behind former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney.

Read more: http://swampland.time.com/2011/12/02/can-ron-paul-win-the-anti-romney-primary/#ixzz1fNH9bKxX

NY-Dano
12-02-2011, 05:11 AM
Coming from TIME, this is really quite good.

bobbyw24
12-02-2011, 05:16 AM
Coming from TIME, this is really quite good.

Agreed

pauladin
12-02-2011, 05:26 AM
20000 hard pledges. DAMN. we have a month left and with 500 enthusiastic pairs of boots on the ground and hundreds of thousands of brochures going out...i think we can take it.

brendan.orourke
12-02-2011, 05:27 AM
Wow...20,000 hard pledges? That's remarkable folks! Let's keep it up, don't get comfortable now! Phone from home, Tea Party 11, super brochures, donate!!!!

Eric21ND
12-02-2011, 06:06 AM
20000 hard pledges. DAMN. we have a month left and with 500 enthusiastic pairs of boots on the ground and hundreds of thousands of brochures going out...i think we can take it.

WINNING!

http://i.usatoday.net/news/_photos/2010/05/19/randpaulx.jpg

bluesc
12-02-2011, 06:14 AM
Wow, things are sounding good in Iowa. NH too. And that picture is awesome. Great article (aside from the end).

Keep it up with the phoning from home :D

Travlyr
12-02-2011, 06:27 AM
The odds of Paul being elected President remain low. But surprisingly strong showings in Iowa and New Hampshire and enough money to organize outside of the early states mean Paul could stay in the race through the spring and garner an eyebrow-raising number of delegates. And that in itself would send a clear message to Romney, or whomever the nominee is: this is where much of the Republican base is, leave it at your own peril. An ideological win for the slow and steady tortoise.

Read more: http://swampland.time.com/2011/12/02/can-ron-paul-win-the-anti-romney-primary/#ixzz1fNS7ra9Q

Jay Newton-Small

Jay Newton-Small is the congressional correspondent for TIME. Born in New York, she spent time growing up in Asia, Australia and Europe following her vagabond United Nations parents. A graduate of Tufts University and Columbia’s Graduate School of Journalism, Jay previously covered politics for Bloomberg News. And, yes, despite the misleading name SHE is a she.

Read more: http://swampland.time.com/author/jnewtonsmall/#ixzz1fNSkWy31
Interesting. Ron Paul is the most honest, principled, truth-telling, conservative running for the GOP nomination and you are writing him off before the race starts.

Really Jay? "The odds of Paul being elected President remain low." Really? And just how do you know that? The primaries have not yet begun. Ron Paul is going into the early voting States as a winner in spite of the antiquated media black-outs and you call it low odds. Do you know something we don't know? Do the privileged elite, vagabond United Nations clique, still think they control the media and the media controls elections. Is that what you are telling us? That is so last century. What is it, Jay Newton-Small, about you and your elite cronies that make you so disinterested in honesty and truth?

Jay, this is the 21st century. Not only is Ron Paul going to garner an "eyebrow-raising number of delegates", but the clear message your global elite cabal of masters may want to consider is to start looking for shelter because the storm is coming and they are way outnumbered.

Johnnymac
12-02-2011, 06:56 AM
Wow...20,000 hard pledges? That's remarkable folks! Let's keep it up, don't get comfortable now! Phone from home, Tea Party 11, super brochures, donate!!!!

ill be part of the boots on the ground in NH for New Years wish me luck!!!

PastaRocket848
12-02-2011, 07:26 AM
Interesting. Ron Paul is the most honest, principled, truth-telling, conservative running for the GOP nomination and you are writing him off before the race starts.

Really Jay? "The odds of Paul being elected President remain low." Really? And just how do you know that? The primaries have not yet begun. Ron Paul is going into the early voting States as a winner in spite of the antiquated media black-outs and you call it low odds. Do you know something we don't know? Do the privileged elite, vagabond United Nations clique, still think they control the media and the media controls elections. Is that what you are telling us? That is so last century. What is it, Jay Newton-Small, about you and your elite cronies that make you so disinterested in honesty and truth?

Jay, this is the 21st century. Not only is Ron Paul going to garner an "eyebrow-raising number of delegates", but the clear message your global elite cabal of masters may want to consider is to start looking for shelter because the storm is coming and they are way outnumbered.

She said he has little chance because he's still polling in single digits nationally. Seriously, get real. Your post is exactly the type of whacko sounding "globalist cabal" crap that turns off potential supporters in comment spam. This thing is far from in the bag, and to suggest otherwise may make you feel good, but it's not true and doesn't help Ron win.

Travlyr
12-02-2011, 07:39 AM
She said he has little chance because he's still polling in single digits nationally. Seriously, get real. Your post is exactly the type of whacko sounding "globalist cabal" crap that turns off potential supporters in comment spam. This thing is far from in the bag, and to suggest otherwise may make you feel good, but it's not true and doesn't help Ron win.
I agree that Ron Paul winning the GOP nomination is not in the bag. Ron Paul can still win the presidency. Just because you don't know who is in charge doesn't mean that I don't. I've read the books. I've taken the time to do the research. The truth is on our side. It is the 21st century PastaRocket. There is no need for ignorance. There is plenty of proof the globalist cabal is real. Read Agenda 21. The revolution is not going away until we win no matter what.

milo10
12-02-2011, 07:50 AM
There is plenty of proof the globalist cabal is real.

But since you know that, why put the focus on the writer?

What we are seeing, time and time again, are different people in the media who like Ron Paul, but have to hide it in some way. She wrote an excellent article that, in my reading, encourages people to vote for Ron Paul because a vote for him sends a message to the Republican establishment.

WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT??? LOL

Do you want her to write what she really thinks about Ron and have an article that Time won't publish?

12-02-2011, 07:53 AM
So after Ron does well in the early states will they stop with the disclaimers at the end of articles?

Patrick Henry
12-02-2011, 07:55 AM
Will Rand be campaigning soon as well? That could be a big boost as well!

trey4sports
12-02-2011, 08:07 AM
i bet they're downplaying "20,000" as no campaign would give out real figures. Interesting though.

bluesc
12-02-2011, 08:19 AM
i bet they're downplaying "20,000" as no campaign would give out real figures. Interesting though.

Was thinking the same.

acptulsa
12-02-2011, 08:29 AM

Do you want her to write what she really thinks about Ron and have an article that Time won't publish?

No, we want to help the PastaRockets, or those people PastaRocket is referring to, to see what's before their eyes so they can get over their fear of 'backing a losing horse' and help us make the only man in the race who wants to represent We, the People a winner.

And thanks for asking.

So after Ron does well in the early states will they stop with the disclaimers at the end of articles?

Only if they then stop writing articles about him altogether. Come on, this is Time we're talking about here. You expect straight reporting from them? They were founded in what, 1934 or so, and haven't done straight, unbiased reporting even once in some 77 years. Can't have them interrupting their streak now. They'd rather fold than gain journalistic integrity.

WilliamC
12-02-2011, 08:36 AM
But since you know that, why put the focus on the writer?

What we are seeing, time and time again, are different people in the media who like Ron Paul, but have to hide it in some way. She wrote an excellent article that, in my reading, encourages people to vote for Ron Paul because a vote for him sends a message to the Republican establishment.

Hey, her name is on it, she's a public figure, and I didn't see anything insulting or intimidating in the response, just some incredulity and insistence that we know more than what is insinuated by the author and by the editorial board and the vested interests they represent.

Ron Paul is the right answer for all honest folks, and by now anyone in the know about politics who are against him are either deliberately on the other side (evil) or themselves compromised in some way.

The middle ground is only for the ignorant.

ross11988
12-02-2011, 08:41 AM

Im sure once Congress is out of session for the holidays

cdc482
12-02-2011, 09:13 AM
Considering it takes 100k to win, im not impressed

IndianaPolitico
12-02-2011, 09:13 AM
No, more like 35,000.

bluesc
12-02-2011, 09:14 AM

If you want 100% of the vote, sure.

Eric21ND
12-02-2011, 09:16 AM
Huckabee won with 40k

seapilot
12-02-2011, 10:35 AM
If you want 100% of the vote, sure.

Hell yeah, lets shoot for that.

trey4sports
12-02-2011, 10:36 AM

ughh, that's just wrong.

specsaregood
12-02-2011, 10:40 AM
Huckabee won with 40k

With a completely united evangelical front too.

trey4sports
12-02-2011, 10:43 AM
With a completely united evangelical front too.

turnout will be key. will 100K be all that show up or will turnout surge like it did in the Ames Straw Poll? I'm guessing turnout will be much higher than anticipated.

P.S. we need to get Ron some mula so he can run some ads in Iowa leading up to the caucus.

Crystallas
12-02-2011, 10:45 AM
Hell yeah, lets shoot for that.

Headline: The Iowa Caucus final score, Gingrich 2nd, Romney 3rd.

squirekyle

How can I use Google Voice or Skype for Phone From Home?

Crystallas
We might get close to 100% if we see that blizzard! :)

Romulus
12-02-2011, 10:47 AM

Now would be a good time to start rolling him out!

bluesc
12-02-2011, 10:52 AM
Now would be a good time to start rolling him out!

I'd rather have him in DC until this battle over civil liberties is officially over. I hope they make the death of civil liberties a quick one, so he can get out to Iowa and start campaigning for Ron ASAP.

specsaregood
12-02-2011, 10:54 AM
turnout will be key. will 100K be all that show up or will turnout surge like it did in the Ames Straw Poll? I'm guessing turnout will be much higher than anticipated.

I think turnout is going to be down. So close to the holidays and people will be exhausted and too busy catchign up.

acptulsa
12-02-2011, 10:57 AM
I think turnout is going to be down. So close to the holidays and people will be exhausted and too busy catchign up.

Meanwhile, the Senate just gave us totalitarianism for Christmas, so among those who care enough to pay attention turnout should be up. Now if we can just get the results tabulated correctly, we should do well.

trey4sports
12-02-2011, 10:57 AM

It's proximity to the caucus is virtually the same as it was last time (1 day earlier) so that shouldn't make a difference.

specsaregood
12-02-2011, 11:20 AM
It's proximity to the caucus is virtually the same as it was last time (1 day earlier) so that shouldn't make a difference.

Of course it was also a friday, versus a tuesday this year. I know I can get out of work and other responsibilities easier on a friday.

Eric21ND
12-02-2011, 11:25 AM
How can I use Google Voice or Skype for Phone From Home?
Go to the facebook phone banking link under my post, they can answer all your questions and they have a FAQ page as well.

IndianaPolitico
12-02-2011, 11:28 AM
I wonder what the actual number of hard pledges is in Iowa. Maybe 30,000? Also noticed they didn't mention their polling numbers in Iowa, I wonder if they are so much higher then most polls, they decided to just keep quiet about them?

turbobrain9
12-02-2011, 11:29 AM
If the campaign believes that they can win both Iowa and NH, believe me, then they we really do have a very good chance at winning both. In 2008, the campaign was more realistic about their chances and didn't ramp up expectations, so to hear much more confidence coming of the camp, tells me something is brewing.

cdc482
12-02-2011, 12:07 PM
Alright I take it back. If it only takes 35-40k to win, we're off to a good start. We still need to almost double our numbers. (Most if not all, Paul voters are hard votes)
1. Phone from home during all Xmas Break
2. http://www.ronpaulbrochure.com/ <-- Send superbrochures
3. On Jan 3rd, have a party. Invite all your close family in friends. In return, tell them all you want is for them to come to the caucus and vote for Ron Paul with you. Tell them how important it is to you.

pauliticalfan
12-02-2011, 12:13 PM
I love that picture.

cdc482
12-02-2011, 12:16 PM
Alright I take it back. If it only takes 35-40k to win, we're off to a good start. We still need to almost double our numbers. (Most if not all, Paul voters are hard votes)
1. Phone from home during all Xmas Break
2. http://www.ronpaulbrochure.com/ <-- Send superbrochures
3. On Jan 3rd, have a party. Invite all your close family in friends. In return, tell them all you want is for them to come to the caucus and vote for Ron Paul with you. Tell them how important it is to you.

Don't get cocky. We have a ways to go to win.

trey4sports
12-02-2011, 12:28 PM
Don't get cocky. We have a ways to go to win.

lol, did you just tell yourself not to get too cocky? :o

acptulsa
12-02-2011, 12:32 PM
Meanwhile, the Senate just gave us totalitarianism for Christmas, so among those who care enough to pay attention turnout should be up. Now if we can just get the results tabulated correctly, we should do well.

And don't you get cocky, either!! You son of a buck!

cdc482
12-02-2011, 03:45 PM
lol, did you just tell yourself not to get too cocky? :o

Meant to quote paulitical fan.

Winning Iowa is possible. It's not likely though. We need to work hard.

bluesc
12-02-2011, 03:46 PM

I'd say it's likely... With a lot of work.

pauliticalfan
12-02-2011, 03:47 PM

Saying I like the picture they used is cocky?

I agree though, we need to work incredibly hard to make this happen.

cdc482
12-02-2011, 07:36 PM
Sorry. Not to you in general. Just anyone reading.

If the election were today, we'd lose, and it's only a month away.
It's crunch time.

LibertyEsq
12-02-2011, 08:04 PM
I'm hoping Rand spends his Christmas break in Iowa, too