PDA

View Full Version : DIY Abortion Lands Woman In Jail

Rael
12-02-2011, 02:24 AM
NEW YORK (CBS New York/AP) – Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly announced Thursday that a Manhattan woman has been charged with self abortion.

Yaribely Almonte, 20, is accused of wrapping the fetus of her unborn daughter in plastic and dumping it in a garbage bin outside of her West 191st Street apartment.

Authorities are investigating whether the woman ended her pregnancy by drinking an herbal concoction billed as an abortion-causing tea, a person familiar with the case told The Associated Press Thursday.

The body was found on Tuesday by the building superintendent, who was sorting recyclables, police said. Almonte was arrested and charged on Wednesday night.

Under New York state law, an abortion can only be performed on a fetus older than 24 weeks if the procedure is necessary to save the woman’s life.

The Medical Examiner has yet to determine the cause of death. Almonte was released with an order to appear in court in January.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/12/01/nypd-manhattan-woman-performed-self-abortion/

Cutlerzzz
12-02-2011, 02:29 AM
Hopefully she doesn't get off easy. It's amazing that people can go to jail for smoking Marijuana, but the most despicable killers in society are allowed to get away with murder in most cases.

jtstellar
12-02-2011, 07:03 AM
why do mothers keep thinking they own the fetus? you don't own shit.. you don't even have to take care of it.. somebody can adopt it in most cases.. in the case you do raise them, often times it's not even your financial resources you will be using.. keep hearing these liberal women on msm channels talking like woman's life and her convenience is all that matters.. i don't get where the concept actually came from, that just cus you're a mother you automatically own shit.. neither does the father, but some women in particular have this spoiled mentality.. why don't we just pass a law and mandate a grown up child certain amount of financial liability to compensate the woman who gave birth to him/her and just call it even? jesus christ.. tired of hearing about stupid arguments for abortions. let's say you owe the person who went through the labor of giving birth to you 50k adjusted for inflation. hell ya. i bet there would be a lot fewer voluntary abortions. give them money and tell them shut the hell up and go away.. these mothers..

Krugerrand
12-02-2011, 07:32 AM
Let's face it ... this is only okay if the industry gets its cut.

Sola_Fide
12-02-2011, 07:38 AM
Why do people think herbal murder is more acceptable than burning alive by saline or getting the spinal cord cut in half?

axiomata
12-02-2011, 07:41 AM
I'm confused. I thought it was always about a woman's choice.

amy31416
12-02-2011, 07:50 AM
Nobody knows yet if it was a self-induced abortion or a miscarriage.

There was a while that I thought I would miscarry, and one of those most sickening thoughts was it happening, and then what to do afterwards. Obviously I would choose a hospital if possible--but what if that was not an option? She lives in NYC, it's not like she has a field where she could have a burial.

Just hold off on the condemnation until you know. (And yes, I do realize that I'm giving full benefit of the doubt here.)

Cutlerzzz
12-02-2011, 07:52 AM
Nobody knows yet if it was a self-induced abortion or a miscarriage.

There was a while that I thought I would miscarry, and one of those most sickening thoughts was it happening, and then what to do afterwards. Obviously I would choose a hospital if possible--but what if that was not an option? She lives in NYC, it's not like she has a field where she could have a burial.

Just hold off on the condemnation until you know. (And yes, I do realize that I'm giving full benefit of the doubt here.)I don't care. She's guilty until proven innocent in my mind.

Krugerrand
12-02-2011, 07:55 AM
I don't care. She's guilty until proven innocent in my mind.

Do you know anybody who ever had a miscarriage? Do you have any idea how horrible an experience that is?

Cutlerzzz
12-02-2011, 07:59 AM
Do you know anybody who ever had a miscarriage? Do you have any idea how horrible an experience that is?She's a killer. Plain and simple.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/photos/images/original/000/096/044/trollface.jpg?1296494117

amy31416
12-02-2011, 08:01 AM
Do you know anybody who ever had a miscarriage? Do you have any idea how horrible an experience that is?

Just the potential of it is completely terrifying, I won't let myself imagine it happening.

fisharmor
12-02-2011, 08:10 AM

Yep. The industry which was specifically blessed by the State.

It's illegal to gamble... unless you're playing the State's game.
It's illegal to take drugs... unless it's the State's drugs.
It's illegal to steal... unless the State is getting what's stolen.
It's illegal to kidnap... unless it's the State doing the kidnapping.

It's illegal to kill... unless it's the State's killing.

Sola_Fide
12-02-2011, 08:14 AM

Good point. Some of the "libertarian" abortion warriors around here don't even know how massive a corporatist enterprise the abortion mill industry is.

pcosmar
12-02-2011, 08:18 AM
She is being charged.

Authorities are investigating whether the woman ended her pregnancy by drinking an herbal concoction billed as an abortion-causing tea, a person familiar with the case told The Associated Press Thursday.

And it hasn't been investigated yet?

It could well be a miscarriage caused by dozens of things.
But Charge her anyway and sort it out later.

:(

CaptUSA
12-02-2011, 08:29 AM
I am 100% pro-life, but I struggle with the enforcement of such matters. In most cases, it's difficult to enforce anti-abortion laws without violating someone's privacy.

This is not one of those cases. An examination should be able to determine if the fetus died from a normal miscarriage or if it was done purposefully. If intent, opportunity, means, and the end result can be proven, she needs to be punished.

Krugerrand
12-02-2011, 08:38 AM
I am 100% pro-life, but I struggle with the enforcement of such matters. In most cases, it's difficult to enforce anti-abortion laws without violating someone's privacy.

This is not one of those cases. An examination should be able to determine if the fetus died from a normal miscarriage or if it was done purposefully. If intent, opportunity, means, and the end result can be proven, she needs to be punished.

I won't disagree. But, I would caution against setting up some sort of precedence that mothers who suffer miscarriages will all have to endure criminal investigations. Much like a warrant needs to be based on something ... so should such investigations only happen if there is something out of the ordinary to 'trigger' them.

Soca Taliban
12-02-2011, 08:40 AM
wait, hold up.....so if she goes to a doctor or clinic and has the abortion done, its okay, but if she does it herself, she's being charged?? Nonsense!!

Krugerrand
12-02-2011, 09:04 AM
wait, hold up.....so if she goes to a doctor or clinic and has the abortion done, its okay, but if she does it herself, she's being charged?? Nonsense!!
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?309241-Ron-Paul-to-be-on-CNN-Piers-Morgan-show-tonight-9-p.p.-ET/page16
I'll repost what I had posted before:

Dr. Paul pointed out the legal inconsistency that has bothered me for a while: abortion is legal, so it's legal for a doctor and the mother to kill an unborn child, but if you punch a woman in the stomach and kill her child, you go to prison for murder. The whole validity of the baby's life rests upon the mother's desire: if she wants the baby, it's a human life, if she doesn't want it, it isn't a human life.

Even the mother's desire is not enough. The whole validity of the baby's life rests upon if the Abortion Industrial Complex got paid.

There was a case not all that long ago when a young woman asked her boyfriend to help her kill her unborn twins. Tragically the children died. Her boyfriend ended up in prison for murder.

A 19-year-old accused of causing his teenage girlfriend to miscarry two fetuses by stepping on her stomach was convicted Monday of two counts of murder.
Erica Basoria, 17, acknowledged asking Flores to help end her pregnancy; she could not be prosecuted because of her legal right to abortion.

The defense contended that Basoria punched herself while Flores was stepping on her, making it impossible to tell who caused the miscarriage.
Texas law defines an embryo or fetus as an "individual" and allows criminal prosecution or civil action for a preventable injury or death of a fetus. The law exempts health care providers who perform a legal medical procedure, such as an abortion.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,158783,00.html#ixzz1VC8KmBTI

Rael
12-02-2011, 04:56 PM

The article said it was because the fetus was older than 24 weeks

Sola_Fide
12-02-2011, 05:01 PM

Yeah, it is nonsense that the state sanctions murder.

amy31416
12-02-2011, 05:11 PM
The article said it was because the fetus was older than 24 weeks

They implied it, there was almost nothing definite in the article.