PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul Food Bomb! RonPaulFoodBomb.com

Morerockin
12-01-2011, 09:07 PM
Hey all. Wouldn't it be amazing if we lead a nationwide grassroots effort to raise 100,000lbs of food for charity this Christmas season? Can you imagine the publicity? People from both sides of the aisle would think that this is amazing and I guarantee that we will not only get awesome national news coverage for this but the local news outlets would love this.

I have purchased RonPaulFoodBomb.com. (UPDATE . . . I TOOK ADVICE AND GOT RONPAULFOODDRIVE.COM INSTEAD) I am looking for someone to help me ASAP in creating a pledge counter and I also need ideas how we can colaborate throughout all 50 states to come up with a final talley. In a perfect world, here's how I invision this.

We organize this amazing charity event to donate food to the needy. In each major city (or minor for that) we have a collection center where we collect food donated for those in need. Hopefully, we can organize with a national charity such as Salvation Army to donate the goods to them on a day preceeding Christmas. On the donation day, we'll have sent out press releases to the media ahead of time.

We'll bee seen by the public as genuinely caring people! We are caring people! We love our country! Ron Paul Loves our country! RON PAUL 2012!

I'm soo stoked I'm besides myself.

Target donation day: Friday, December 23rd!

So can anyone help?

wstrucke
12-01-2011, 09:17 PM
good idea... time is very short though

McDermit
12-01-2011, 09:25 PM
Can't we call it a food drive? The whole "bomb" thing has lost a lot of its appeal.

Morerockin
12-01-2011, 09:28 PM
We can do it in 3 weeks! Cmon!

Morerockin
12-01-2011, 09:30 PM
http://www.facebook.com/events/#!/events/319607614717352/

join

McDermit
12-01-2011, 09:35 PM
We've been discussing this for a while in my meetup... Just a matter of getting people to actually commit.

I want to do a "cookie bomb" as well. If we get 12 people to each bake 6 dozen cookies, we could make a bunch of tins/trays to distribute to Vets through the local VFW, and/or to nursing home residents. Someone suggested a gift drive, but that gets too complicated; everyone appreciates homemade cookies.

Morerockin
12-01-2011, 09:36 PM
We've been discussing this for a while in my meetup... Just a matter of getting people to actually commit.

I want to do a "cookie bomb" as well. If we get 12 people to each bake 6 dozen cookies, we could make a bunch of tins/trays to distribute to Vets through the local VFW, and/or to nursing home residents. Someone suggested a gift drive, but that gets too complicated; everyone appreciates homemade cookies.

What a great idea in donating the food to vets!!!!!

Okie RP fan
12-01-2011, 09:38 PM
Sounds as if it would be more effective if done locally. Not sure everyone can jump on board a food drive, with everyone becoming pressed for time and cash as it is.

But, that's just my opinion. It's a good idea.

DisillusionedPatriot
12-01-2011, 09:38 PM
I'm not crazy about the name, but I believe this is a great idea. It is good for Ron Paul, good for others, and good for ourselves.

How would it work? Where would the food be collected? Would the collection site be explicitly pro-Paul? Anyways I will be in on this if we can lay some sort of foundation.

Morerockin
12-01-2011, 09:50 PM
I'm not crazy about the name, but I believe this is a great idea. It is good for Ron Paul, good for others, and good for ourselves.

How would it work? Where would the food be collected? Would the collection site be explicitly pro-Paul? Anyways I will be in on this if we can lay some sort of foundation.

How would it work? We create a website to create a quick organization of cities around the country who want to participate, period. On the website, we'll list places that have created a food collection center and where they plan on donating the food to! Maybe they can give us an update in weight donated on a daily basis and we can update the foodbomb ticker every day as new weight talleys come in.

Would the collection site be explicitly pro-Paul? Yes. This is a bottom up grassroots organization that supports Paul, supports helping the needy through charity.

Here's an example of how I can see this.

Let's say that the volunteers at the San Francisco collection center reported at the end of the day that they have collected 50 lbs. That would be 50 lbs that we could add to the ticker! We could do that for all of the cities that have agreed to do this across the nation. Or world for that matter.

McDermit
12-01-2011, 09:51 PM

How would it work? Where would the food be collected? Would the collection site be explicitly pro-Paul? Anyways I will be in on this if we can lay some sort of foundation.It would work the way any other food drive does. You would plan it locally. You could do it one of two ways: you distribute bags to households with instructions and info about where the food is going, and you list a pickup date--on the pickup day, people leave the bags on their porches and volunteers go back to collect them. The other option is to set up collection bin(s) at one or more locations, then heavily publicize those locations along with the drive dates.

Personally, I like doing collection bins. You call around, find pro-Paul businesses OR just any business willing to let you put out a collection bin. (The publicity is good for everyone--many businesses are glad to participate.) You figure out the dates and times, and you put ads in every local paper, flyers everywhere, list in free event listings (papers, craigslist, public service bulletins with your local tv stations,) call radio stations and ask them to advertise it for you, etc. You set up your bins (try huge boxes from appliance stores) and put a banner/logo on them, along with info about what you're collecting and where donations will go. If you're in a place with enough room, set up an info table next to your bin and hand out free info/bumper stickers/etc. Invite local media to cover the donation drive on location. After the event, count, weigh, or otherwise inventory your total collected donations, then issue a press release with the total (pounds of food, number of items, whatever) and info about your group, your motivations (neighbors helping neighbors; cite Ron's belief in voluntary charity as opposed to government entitlements,) info about where the donations went, and a blurb about how people can get involved with your group and with the charity you helped.

Morerockin
12-01-2011, 09:59 PM
It would work the way any other food drive does. You would plan it locally. You could do it one of two ways: you distribute bags to households with instructions and info about where the food is going, and you list a pickup date--on the pickup day, people leave the bags on their porches and volunteers go back to collect them. The other option is to set up collection bin(s) at one or more locations, then heavily publicize those locations along with the drive date(s)

Personally, I like doing collection bins. You call around, find pro-Paul businesses OR just any business willing to let you put out a collection bin. (The publicity is good for everyone--many businesses are glad to participate.) You figure out the dtes, times, and you put ads in every local paper, flyers everywhere, list in free event listings (papers, craigslist, public service bulletibs with your locl tv stations,) call radio stations and ask them to advertise it for you, etc. You set up your bins (try huge boxes from appliance stores) and put a banner/logo on them, along with info about what you're collecting and where donations will go. If you're in a place with enough room, set up an info table next to your bin and hand out free info/bumper stickers/etc. Invite local media to over the onation drive on location. After the event, count, weigh, or otherwise inventory your total collected donations, then issue a press release with the total (pounds of food, number of items, whatever) and info about your group, your motivations (neighbors helping neighbors; cite Ron's belief in voluntary charity as opposed to government entitlements,) info about where the donations went, and a blurb about how people can get involved with your group and with the charity you helped.

What McDermit said!!!! Awesome!

Morerockin
12-01-2011, 10:09 PM
I am currently setting up a hosting account to the http://ronpaulfoodbomb.com domain

wstrucke
12-01-2011, 10:24 PM
I can provide free hosting, but I think "ronpaulfooddrive" is a much better name.

Morerockin
12-01-2011, 10:32 PM
I can provide free hosting, but I think "ronpaulfooddrive" is a much better name.

Thanks for the kind hosting offering. I've already got it though. I've been paying for a hosting account for a year and not used it :(

McDermit
12-01-2011, 10:45 PM
I can provide free hosting, but I think "ronpaulfooddrive" is a much better name.Seriously.

Drop the bomb, go with drive! If you intend to make this a national event and want to be able to put out a press release touting the total of all collections made nationwide in Ron's name, you want the media referring to it as a nationwide food drive. "Food Bomb" does not sound right.

Morerockin
12-01-2011, 10:54 PM
Seriously.

Drop the bomb, go with drive! If you intend to make this a national event and want to be able to put out a press release touting the total of all collections made nationwide in Ron's name, you want the media referring to it as a nationwide food drive. "Food Bomb" does not sound right.

ok ok ok! DONE! RonPaulFoodDrive.Com! I hate that I bought RonPaulFoodBomb.com for no reason at all though!

Morerockin
12-01-2011, 10:57 PM
ok ok ok! DONE! RonPaulFoodDrive.Com! I hate that I bought RonPaulFoodBomb.com for no reason at all though!

Ok, so I am no working on getting that domain setup. Can anyone help with the backend stuff? I really suck at wordpress and etc but I can do a decent enough job of just getting by.

I just need a central website to create a national ticker of lbs of food raised and a list of cities that are participating.

McDermit
12-01-2011, 10:58 PM
ok ok ok! DONE! RonPaulFoodDrive.Com! I hate that I bought RonPaulFoodBomb.com for no reason at all though!We've all done it! I have probably 2 dozen RP domains that I just use for email.

You could always set it up to forward to ronpaulfooddrive.com... then if some people prefer the "bomb," they can promote that domain.

McDermit
12-01-2011, 11:01 PM
Ok, so I am no working on getting that domain setup. Can anyone help with the backend stuff? I really suck at wordpress and etc but I can do a decent enough job of just getting by.

I just need a central website to create a national ticker of lbs of food raised and a list of cities that are participating.you might want to post in the web developers facebook group... I'm not familiar enough with wordpress or feedburner to be of much help. http://www.facebook.com/groups/247340371974786/?ref=ts

PauliticsPolitics
12-01-2011, 11:03 PM
I like this.

Morerockin
12-01-2011, 11:08 PM
you might want to post in the web developers facebook group... I'm not familiar enough with wordpress or feedburner to be of much help. http://www.facebook.com/groups/247340371974786/?ref=ts

I just messaged Brett . . . let's hope they can help

Morerockin
12-01-2011, 11:09 PM
I like this.

Please join the FB group and or share. http://www.facebook.com/events/319607614717352/

Thanks!

Tod
12-02-2011, 12:08 AM
I see where Santorum is...

Hosting a Toys-for-Tots toy drive at the Rick Santorum for President New Hampshire Headquarters

seeknshare
12-02-2011, 04:40 AM
Gr8 idea. Count on my full support from Phoenix, AZ. Delicious, home-made Indian food.

seeknshare
12-02-2011, 04:44 AM
[QUOTE=Morerockin;3796377] RONPAULFOODDRIVE.COM )[/B] @morerocking,
Can you change the thread title to reflect Ron Paul Food DRIVE? Thanks!
p.s. I don't know whether one can edit the thread title after-the-fact or not. Is there any time-limit (not possible after so many days etc?)

Morerockin
12-02-2011, 06:49 AM
[QUOTE=Morerockin;3796377] RONPAULFOODDRIVE.COM )[/B] @morerocking,
Can you change the thread title to reflect Ron Paul Food DRIVE? Thanks!
p.s. I don't know whether one can edit the thread title after-the-fact or not. Is there any time-limit (not possible after so many days etc?)

No clue if you can change the name of the thread or not . . . anyone got any feedback on that?

The domain and site is up, it just needs content! Can anyone provide and backend help?