PDA

View Full Version : Buying from Amazon.com this holiday season? Support your favorite cause at no extra cost!

gls
12-01-2011, 04:53 PM
Just a reminder, Amazon.com, in addition to having arguably the best selection and prices on the planet (and no sales taxes! for most of us anyway), also has a generous affiliate referral program. This is a very easy way to raise money for some good causes, that I think often gets overlooked. So below is a list of libertarian organization affiliate links; please feel free to add more to this thread. Once you've chosen one, bookmark it and put it in your browser task bar as "Amazon". Next time you decide to shop there, just click the button. It won't cost you anything extra and the organization you chose gets 4%-15% of what you end up spending.

(These links are in no particular order; just what comes to mind. I'm not affiliated with any of these.)

Campaign for Liberty (http://www.amazon.com/b?node=283155&tag=campaforliber&camp=15329&creative=331805&linkCode=ur1&adid=1D2B121XCRM2BQJW66ZX&)

LewRockwell.com (http://www.amazon.com/b?node=283155&tag=lewrockwell&camp=15329&creative=331805&linkCode=ur1&adid=1D2B121XCRM2BQJW66ZX&)

Free Talk Live (http://www.amazon.com/?ie=UTF8&%2AVersion%2A=1&tag=freetalklive&link_code=hom&%2Aentries%2A=0)

Advocates of Self-Government (http://www.amazon.com/?ie=UTF8&%2AVersion%2A=1&tag=advocforselfg&link_code=hom&%2Aentries%2A=0)

The Daily Paul (http://www.amazon.com/?ie=UTF8&%2AVersion%2A=1&tag=bullnotbull&link_code=hom&%2Aentries%2A=0) (Does RPFs have one?)

dannno
12-01-2011, 05:46 PM
Hopefully RPF has looked into this, I've heard some success stories from others including a certain comedy podcast that had overwhelming success with the affiliate program.

Since it's Christmas we could really have a big drive and help RPF with this, but in the mean time it looks like there are some other good options to support as well.

Cap'n Crunk
12-01-2011, 06:02 PM
This is something I always forget to do. I just bookmarked the Campaign For Liberty affiliate. Thanks for the reminder.

Romulus
12-01-2011, 07:05 PM
RPF needs a link.. Amazon is a good place to shop and RPF should get the commission when we do so..

QuickZ06
12-01-2011, 07:09 PM
FYI: Amazon executive Wednesday pressed federal lawmakers to pass legislation allowing states to begin collecting sales-tax from online retailers. I don't support them anymore.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/259003/20111130/amazon-pushes-lawmakers-close-online-retailers-sales.htm

jtstellar
12-02-2011, 02:21 AM
FYI: Amazon executive Wednesday pressed federal lawmakers to pass legislation allowing states to begin collecting sales-tax from online retailers. I don't support them anymore.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/259003/20111130/amazon-pushes-lawmakers-close-online-retailers-sales.htm

weird.. didn't amazon leave a couple states because it complained they were trying to impose sales tax? now amazon supports it? i don't see benefit other than enlarging the price gap between products. it still harms all sellers, just those more expensive disproportionately. i don't see how amazon benefits from this, unless he cuts a deal somewhere else for exemption.. which isn't likely

AlexG
12-02-2011, 02:38 AM
weird.. didn't amazon leave a couple states because it complained they were trying to impose sales tax? now amazon supports it? i don't see benefit other than enlarging the price gap between products. it still harms all sellers, just those more expensive disproportionately. i don't see how amazon benefits from this, unless he cuts a deal somewhere else for exemption.. which isn't likely

Before, it was if a consumer bought a product in the state that had internet sales tax then the consumer was the one responsible for reporting it to that state, making it hard for states to enforce. Now, Amazon is pushing a bill that it so that the out-of-state seller would be the one responsible for collecting the tax and distributing to the respective states.

Makes sense for Amazon, they want to squeeze out small online retailers who dont have the technology or resources of keeping account of all the sales taxes and distributing them to the right states. It's basically like every other big company that lobbies DC.

QuickZ06
12-02-2011, 03:04 AM
Before, it was if a consumer bought a product in the state that had internet sales tax then the consumer was the one responsible for reporting it to that state, making it hard for states to enforce. Now, Amazon is pushing a bill that it so that the out-of-state seller would be the one responsible for collecting the tax and distributing to the respective states.

Makes sense for Amazon, they want to squeeze out small online retailers who dont have the technology or resources of keeping account of all the sales taxes and distributing them to the right states. It's basically like every other big company that lobbies DC.

Bingo!

jtstellar
12-02-2011, 05:38 AM

nope actually after some thoughts after my post, i think the main reason is as things stand, amazon has to compete with individual retailers from within each state some of whom may tailor their sales strategies and pricing to suit specifically their state's tax policies.. this makes small individual online retails rivaling amazon each on their own grounds and chipping away amazon's profits.. it's impossible for amazon to launch specific policies to counter a variety of states each with varieties of specific retailers for each spectrum of goods. if they unify tax codes across the states, that allows a lot less room for creative competition for market space against existing large market share holder like amazon

Romulus
12-02-2011, 10:56 AM

+ rep.

I watched it on Cspan this morning... Fuck them and Overstock. They have their "own" bill in which THEY get kickbacks called the "Cost of Collection" for collecting 'sales tax' on all purchases. It's just another way for them to make money by collecting a tax from buyers.

F*ck Amazon!

AlexG
12-02-2011, 02:47 PM
+ rep.

I watched it on Cspan this morning... Fuck them and Overstock. They have their "own" bill in which THEY get kickbacks called the "Cost of Collection" for collecting 'sales tax' on all purchases. It's just another way for them to make money by collecting a tax from buyers.

F*ck Amazon!

the CEO of Overstock is against the bill, plus he's a Ron Paul supporter

Romulus
12-02-2011, 06:53 PM
the CEO of Overstock is against the bill, plus he's a Ron Paul supporter

He was testifying on Weds, making the case for his bill, and talking about 'cost of collection'. I don't care if he supports Paul, if he supports a national internet sales tax bill he's nothing. Even the Ebay rep was against. it.

These guys (overstock and amazon) seems to be folding under the pressure as long as they can get a kickback on the sales tax they collect.

Kludge
12-02-2011, 07:07 PM
Before y'all crucify Amazon....

They were staunch opponents of forcing online companies to collect sales tax, and made a big fuss, even cut off affiliates in states which eventually implemented the tax collection law. Amazon knew it was a losing battle as other states started targeting Amazon for tax revenue. The states eventually pushed Amazon into settling and collecting sales tax, and at that point, the floodgates were open, because Amazon agreed they should be collecting sales tax in states they operate in. Amazon was more-or-less singled out in a couple states. This makes Amazon less competitive compared to other online stores, since their prices are effectively lower since they don't collect sales tax. Online purchases in almost every state already have a sales tax, but like mentioned before, it's the responsibility of the taxpayer to note their purchases. Given how few are aware of it, it's easy to imagine almost nobody pays sales tax from online purchases, just as very few people would probably pay sales tax on offline items if the stores weren't forced to collect it. This bill gives a kickback to Amazon (and other targeted companies) because they'll be bringing the states revenue at the expense of business while still keeping other online businesses (deemed too minor) from having to collect sales tax. It's unfortunate it makes tax laws enforceable by treating everyone as a tax-evader, but I'm not sure it justifies a "fuck them" kind of response. Amazon didn't want to collect sales tax, but what's happened has put them at a major disadvantage.

jtstellar
12-05-2011, 03:00 AM
Before y'all crucify Amazon....

They were staunch opponents of forcing online companies to collect sales tax, and made a big fuss, even cut off affiliates in states which eventually implemented the tax collection law. Amazon knew it was a losing battle as other states started targeting Amazon for tax revenue. The states eventually pushed Amazon into settling and collecting sales tax, and at that point, the floodgates were open, because Amazon agreed they should be collecting sales tax in states they operate in. Amazon was more-or-less singled out in a couple states. This makes Amazon less competitive compared to other online stores, since their prices are effectively lower since they don't collect sales tax. Online purchases in almost every state already have a sales tax, but like mentioned before, it's the responsibility of the taxpayer to note their purchases. Given how few are aware of it, it's easy to imagine almost nobody pays sales tax from online purchases, just as very few people would probably pay sales tax on offline items if the stores weren't forced to collect it. This bill gives a kickback to Amazon (and other targeted companies) because they'll be bringing the states revenue at the expense of business while still keeping other online businesses (deemed too minor) from having to collect sales tax. It's unfortunate it makes tax laws enforceable by treating everyone as a tax-evader, but I'm not sure it justifies a "fuck them" kind of response. Amazon didn't want to collect sales tax, but what's happened has put them at a major disadvantage.

and the real principled businesses to the core are all already out of business.. just like rand being grilled for his play of politics in the senate.. moral of the story--live to fight another day.

Romulus
12-05-2011, 12:58 PM
Amazon did not collect sales tax on IN state purchases? Stupid move on their part! Now they are cornered into supporting a national internet sales tax... bad deal if you ask me.

Yeah, they were true, but they screwed up by not collecting sales tax in there own state, and now everyone has to pay as they kowtow on this national internet sales tax deal. I can't support them or Overstock. They are selling out for 'cost of collection' kickbacks.