PDA

View Full Version : North Dakota Proposes Eliminating Property Taxes

AuH20
12-01-2011, 10:20 AM
Pretty excited to hear this.

http://www.activistpost.com/2011/11/secret-revolution-in-north-dakota.html

North Dakota citizens may abolish property taxes, allowing them more control over government spending. Nearly 30,000 signatures were collected to place the people's initiative on the ballot in June, 2012 that would constitutionally abolish all property taxes in North Dakota.

This landmark measure supports property rights, small government and freedom advocates around the country.

If the initiative is successful, North Dakota will be the first state to abolish all property taxes, both state and local, and will provide a model for the other states to do the same. North Dakota may be the first state to kick off the property rights revolution!

Mogambo Guru
12-01-2011, 10:21 AM
This would be awesome, but I'll believe it when i see it...

Spikender
12-01-2011, 10:22 AM
This is the best news I've heard today. I always love to read stories where people are actually standing up for their rights, and this is no different. Helps me keep going, ya know?

AuH20
12-01-2011, 10:25 AM
This would be awesome, but I'll believe it when i see it...

the feds and their lapdogs are going full-tilt to stop this in it's tracks!!!:

The NEA has pledged $4-5 million to fight passage of the measure -- this in a state where a Senate race costs less than $1 million. They clearly see the national impact this measure will generate and want to stop it before any other states get any bright ideas.

flightlesskiwi
12-01-2011, 10:29 AM
wow. i would seriously consider moving to ND if this happened (even though cold weather and i don't like each other much).

phill4paul
12-01-2011, 10:29 AM
Great news. I'm actually thinking of moving there to Williston. Not many jobs to be had in the S.E. and am researching the job opportunities there.

Spikender
12-01-2011, 10:36 AM
The NEA has pledged $4-5 million to fight passage of the measure -- this in a state where a Senate race costs less than $1 million. They clearly see the national impact this measure will generate and want to stop it before any other states get any bright ideas.

Damn it, screw them! This really is a bright idea, thought up by a populace who is sick and tired of government and wants more control over what they own. I pray to God this passes, and I hope it starts a domino effect where state after state follows suit... a guy can dream, right?

amy31416
12-01-2011, 10:52 AM
Fantastic possibility--wish I had more hope that it'd actually pass.

Athan
12-01-2011, 10:56 AM
Wow! AMAZING!

Echoes
12-01-2011, 10:57 AM
For all the false hype of New Hampshire being the "freest state", the mid-west is where liberty is growing wild. Dakotas, Idaho, Wyoming, Nevada, Montana, etc.

I'd seriously consider moving to N. Dakota if they passed this.

ctiger2
12-01-2011, 11:00 AM
FYI: Horrible Thread Title. Thread Titles should be search friendly and content relevant.

A proper thread title for this one would be North Dakota Proposes Eliminating Property Taxes

Sorry, my new pet peeve...

Danke
12-01-2011, 11:02 AM
If this passes, I might finally realize my dream of being the Lawrence Welk Birthplace Museum curator in Strasburg, North Dakota.

CaseyJones
12-01-2011, 11:05 AM
FYI: Horrible Thread Title. Thread Titles should be search friendly and content relevant.

A proper thread title for this one would be North Dakota Proposes Eliminating Property Taxes

Sorry, my new pet peeve...

agreed ... title changed

amy31416
12-01-2011, 11:07 AM
If this passes, I might finally realize my dream of being the Lawrence Welk Birthplace Museum curator in Strasburg, North Dakota.

Dare to dream buddy, dare to dream.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye3ecDYxOkg

TonySutton
12-01-2011, 11:42 AM
I found the study used to back up the proposal. Still reading through it but figured I would share.

http://www.policynd.org/images/uploads/ND-Stamp_Final.pdf

Travlyr
12-01-2011, 11:55 AM
North Dakota has already legalized industrial hemp. They are setting themselves up for an economic boom! Good for them.

The Feds are still screwing with them though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Sl33nNMAjo&feature=player_embedded#!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Sl33nNMAjo&feature=player_embedded#!

Mogambo Guru
12-01-2011, 12:02 PM
... and for those that would be interested in moving there if it passes, Fargo is a pretty nice city to live in(for folks who prefer city life that is). I live in Mid West MN not far from Fargo-Moorhead (moorhead is the city on the MN side of the border) and have spent a few years living in moorhead while going to school. I can say first hand that if this passes Moorhead would suffer, as most business is already concentrated in Fargo.

Yes this would be a great opportunity for ND if they can get it done... Imagine, being able to purchase some property there and not have to pay taxes on it each year, it would be a great investment opportunity! ... and right now would be an even better speculative buy with hopes that it does pass.. buy low now before it passes, and reap the rewards later..?

erowe1
12-01-2011, 12:09 PM
Are they going to cut spending commensurately? Or are they just going to raise sales taxes? If the latter, then this is not good news.

Mogambo Guru
12-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Are they going to cut spending commensurately? Or are they just going to raise sales taxes? If the latter, then this is not good news.

I would still consider it good news.. At least your not paying a tax just for owning a property...

Isnt a flat tax better than having property taxes?

oyarde
Cool , how are they going to pay for those prairie schools though ??

BuddyRey
I've been on the fence about buying property in North Dakota versus Wyoming or maybe closer to home, like South Carolina. But if the people of ND pass this bill, or even if they come close, they'll sway my decision strongly in their favor.

kahless
12-01-2011, 12:23 PM
I hate the cold but would give anything to actually be able to move some where and live as a free man. But I am not going to get my hopes up since it has not passed yet and we do not even know if this includes eliminating school or county property taxes?

What is wrong with people in this country. Every day I am in disbelief with people that are indignant that this is a free country and we are fighting for freedom when that could not be farther from the truth because of PROPERTY TAXES. Meanwhile every other issue is debated by people and the media but when do you hear about this most basic right.

This by far should be the number one issue in this country.

Danke
12-01-2011, 12:34 PM
Cool , how are they going to pay for those prairie schools though ??

parents?

AuH20
12-01-2011, 12:37 PM
Property taxes are basically extortion, especially in the Northeast and California.

low preference guy
12-01-2011, 12:41 PM

I disagree. If they don't cut spending immediately, people still can spend less and not pay the taxes, and at the same time pressure the government to cut the spending so that sales taxes will be lower. Once that happens, they can choose to spend more. The thing about a sales tax is that there are more ways to avoid it when it relates to buying non-essential taxes. Buying them later could mean paying lower taxes, which should give you an incentive to try to get spending cuts in the meantime.

Mogambo Guru
12-01-2011, 12:44 PM
I would imagine any businesses planning on building would strongly consider moving operations to ND if this passed... It could potentially bring in a lot of new industry to the state.

oyarde
12-01-2011, 12:45 PM
parents? Cool, you think they would do that ?

Danke
12-01-2011, 12:47 PM
Cool, you think they would do that ?

There is an energy boom going on up there. So maybe they are counting on that revenue.

oyarde
12-01-2011, 12:49 PM
There is an energy boom going on up there. So maybe they are counting on that revenue. Yeah , they are drilling and have only three percent unemployment.

low preference guy
12-01-2011, 12:54 PM

I noticed the quote in your signature doesn't have that little arrow. Here is the fix:

I'm banning everyone!

TonySutton
12-01-2011, 12:54 PM

Take a look at the link in my post #15 it discusses options including raising sales tax.

The ballot initiative does not answer the questions of how to make it happen. It gives the job to the legislature to work out. Local funding would most likely occur through block grants from the state.

Southron
12-01-2011, 01:22 PM
I'm glad North Dakota is at least talking about this but it needs to do something about its damnable homeschooling laws too.

The only problem I could see is corporations or wealthy individuals from out of state buying and holding property, thereby driving land prices up beyond the ability of locals to afford.