PDA

View Full Version : Excellent response to a completely uninformed comment at Yahoo

Carole
12-01-2011, 08:47 AM
Wow! This is just a perfect factual response to a commentor at:

Ron Paul Will Win Iowa, but Can He Win Mainstream GOP Voters?
http://news.yahoo.com/ron-paul-win-iowa-win-mainstream-gop-voters-175000848.html

By Dan McGinnis | Yahoo! Contributor Network – Sun, Nov 27, 2011

Comment:
Jaik

Ron Paul wants to end education for anyone who isn't rich. He wants to allow corporations free reign to dump toxic waste in your drinking water if it is cheaper than disposing of it responsibly. He wants to lower wages for low income workers in the US. He wants to allow Corporations to sell poisonous food products with no oversight or regulation, and to sell placebo medicine with no proof or verification of claimed benefits. His health care plan is literally to have people who can't afford insurance go beg at a church for money to pay off billionaire for-profit healthcare companies. He want to transfer all power to unelected unaccountable oligarchs. He's offering you Corporate Slavery, 19th Century 3rd Wold living conditions for the US, medieval Feudalism, all being sold to you with a slick cult-of-personality PR campaign. I bought it at first too until I read his own domestic policy statements. He's worse than any of them.

Response:

What the heck are you smoking, Jaik? Let's take a look at your ridiculous statements, point by point:

1. Ron Paul does not want to end education for anyone who isn't rich. He wants to end a) the Federal Department of Education, which is redundant to the already existing Departments of Education in every state and has more than proven its worthlessness. If the Department of Education actually did something other than suck up taxpayer money then math and science scores would have gone up since the Department was created - they have not. In fact, the entire education system has basically flat-lined in terms of quality. He further wants to b) get government OUT of the student loan process. This does not meant that you won't be able to get a student loan, merely that they will be harder to come by. This is actually vitally important, as between the years of 1987 and 2009 ALONE the cost of a college education has gone up 326%, more than the 186% increase in the cost of health care or the 135% increase in the cost of purchasing a home. Got that? In 22 years the cost of college more than TRIPLED. I graduated from college in 1998. My cost for a private university for the year, including tuition, fees, housing, and food, was just over $21,000. The cost to attend that same university today? Over $28,000 a year for tuition, and almost $11,000 a year for room and board. I am not making this up. Grand total of attending my alma mater once you factor in additional costs like freshmen orientation ($275), academic success program ($3,735 PER SEMESTER), and laboratory, studio, or workshop fees, which vary by class, and the cost at my college has DOUBLED in just over ten years. Literally doubled. That is not because education has actually become more expensive. It's because anyone can get a loan from the government for unlimited funds and attend a higher learning institution, which means there is unlimited demand for a college education (even from people who shouldn't be in college, like my husband who has ADHD and dyslexia and is much better suited for a trade than a profession), which means colleges can charge whatever the h3ll they feel like charging.
1users liked this comment

MerC • Fairport, United States

2. Ron Paul does not want to allow companies to dump toxic substances into your drinking water. To assert this is patently false. Rather, Ron Paul wants to restore PROPERTY OWNERS' RIGHTS. The EPA doesn't actually protect people from pollution. What it does is set certain guidelines for the percentage of pollutants a company can dump. That means THEY STILL GET TO DUMP so long as they stay under that "magic number." Under a system without the Federal government running the show, that "magic number" becomes zero. Property owners find a corporation dumping anything on their property and they can sue the pants off of them in court, regardless of whether that dumping is within EPA guidelines. At the moment property owners are helpless to stop companies from dumping on their land so long as they are within the government guidelines. This is a prime example of how the government works for the corporations and not the people.

3. Please cite your sources for the statement that Ron Paul wants to lower wages for low income workers, when in fact low income workers receive low wages because the system is rigged, by the government, in favor of fat cats, and anyone currently making a pittance (of which I am one) has little alternative than to cling to their low paying job because competition is not encouraged and therefore NEW businesses that could pay a better wage are incapable of being created. Our tax laws, written by both Democrats and Republicans, overwhelmingly favor large industries at the expense of small companies. My wonderful state Senator, Chuck Schumer, actually voted AGAINST granting subsidies to farmers making LESS than a million dollars a year. That's right - if you're a farmer and you make LESS than a million dollars a year the government is happy to give you the middle finger.
These laws are designed specifically to funnel money to corporate farms that inject our food with hormones among many, many other very frightening things. I suggest you watch "Food Inc." if you think I am making this up. The Federal government is rigged to stunt free market growth, stop the small businessman, and keep everyone enslaved to low paying jobs at large corporations, because the large corporations are the ones lining the politicians' pockets.

MerC • Fairport, United States
4. He in no way wants corporations to be allowed to sell us poisonous food. What you fail to understand about the FDA is that the people largely appointed to the upper echelons of the department are FORMER EMPLOYEES FROM CORPORATE FARMS. Do a little googling if you think this isn't true. A great number of our federal departments are run by the same goons who once worked for the corporations they are supposed to be overseeing. Can you say "conflict of interest?" Because I can.

5. The only reason the health care industry is as expensive as it is to begin with is because of government involvement. Please see paragraph 1 for how this works. The government has been in bed with Big Pharma FOR YEARS, which drives up the costs of health care, which drives up the cost of insurance, and everybody in government gets rich while your average American loses their house when they can't pay for a life saving medical procedure. Ron Paul is, after all, a DOCTOR, and has never refused a patient and has never taken a penny from Medicare. If the patient couldn't pay him he worked something out with them. If you use google instead of just believing what MSNBC and CNN tell you, you can find statements from one of his medical partners about how he was told coming in to the practice, "We don't turn anyone away, and we don't take Medicare. If you can't handle that, this isn't the practice for you." That same partner also says it was difficult, but they did get an awful lot of chickens, pies, and other food from people who couldn't afford to pay them, which made life much easier.

6. Since Ron Paul has been saying for literally decades that he wants to END THE FED, which IS the unaccountable ogliarchs in this country, I can't imagine how you can sanely argue that he wants to give unaccountable ogliarchs in this country all the power.

7. You clearly haven't read anything Dr. Paul has said or written, or you would understand that we are on the brink of becoming a 3rd World Country already - literally at the tipping point - and many of our own citizens already live in a 3rd World Country (look at the Appalachians, the Reservations, or the inner cities if you don't believe me), while we send hundreds of billions of dollars overseas to rich people in poor countries, which helps neither the poor people in those countries or the desperately poor people in this country.

Get a brain.

MerC absolutely destroyed the Jaik's argument!!!

InTradePro
12-01-2011, 08:54 AM
+Rep

A template of a great response(with the exception of the last line).

LEK
12-01-2011, 09:10 AM
The Department of Education - the biggest waste of money EVER - ask me, my daughter (homescooled) is attending the State University (mostly public schooled).

The caliber of students - it is quite sad - many are borderline illiterate and clueless. Except for what's up on facebook and twitter and the latest x-rated rap song.

Excellent response - all the info is out there - people just need to look it up and read. Stop letting the media think for them.

PastaRocket848
12-01-2011, 09:12 AM
"get a brain".... that'll win you some support.

Eric21ND
12-01-2011, 09:14 AM
LOL @ "get a brain"

jkr
12-01-2011, 09:28 AM
where can i obtain one of these "brains" you speak of?

RonPaulCult
12-01-2011, 09:52 AM
Adding to the reputation that all Ron Paul supporters are jerks to those who disagree with us. "Get a brain" doesn't win us any votes.

AlexAmore
12-01-2011, 11:23 AM
He laid the smackdown on him. I pity the foo! I understand the utter disgust from those perverse allegations against Ron Paul. He probably doesnt typically say "get a brain" but he knew he made an airtight case and had to emphasize the utter lack of brain matter to his opponent so that he might call into question his own intelligence. Well played.

tribute_13
12-01-2011, 11:31 AM
Whenever you come out the gate swinging like that and write with a presumptuous tone, you're not winning over anyone. You're just giving them a reason to never look up Dr. Paul. Fix the slander, don't attack them in the process.

Revolution9
12-01-2011, 11:32 AM

Right here at this forum!

HTH
Rev9

Revolution9
12-01-2011, 11:35 AM
Adding to the reputation that all Ron Paul supporters are jerks to those who disagree with us. "Get a brain" doesn't win us any votes.

OK. I am getting the protocol down here. You must not insult other candidates folks and if you must insult someone then call the RP people jerks. Do I have the protocol correct?

Oh! Snap! The insult must be backhanded! Sorry I missed that.

Rev9

Travlyr
12-01-2011, 11:43 AM
Obviously, Jaik got his brain from the "Wizard of OZ" so yeah... if you want a real brain... like Rev9 said, "Right here at this forum!"

coastie
12-01-2011, 11:44 AM
The Department of Education - the biggest waste of money EVER - ask me, my daughter (homescooled) is attending the State University (mostly public schooled).

The caliber of students - it is quite sad - many are borderline illiterate and clueless. Except for what's up on facebook and twitter and the latest x-rated rap song.

Excellent response - all the info is out there - people just need to look it up and read. Stop letting the media think for them.

There is no borderline-they are all illiterate and clueless. Not that school was "great" when I went, but after being out of HS for almost 17yrs and going back to college now, my education back then was infinitely better than what they are getting now. Something is wrong when half the ENC 1101 course(essay writing) is spent going over remedial, 3rd grade English...

I have not had a dime's worth of grammar classes since the 8th grade-all my English classes after were honors classes, and in 9th grade the entire class focus was on essay writing on 1984, Animal Farm and To Kill A Mocking Bird.:D:cool:

The kids in my classes tell me they did not even have to show up for most of their HS school years, or some craziness like that.:eek:

RipperNT
12-01-2011, 11:47 AM
Remember the first response I gave someone advocating Ron Paul. Someone was talking about mortgages and how everything would have fallen apart if we wouldn't have intervened. My Realtor just lowered my house 5,000 dollars to 30,000 under what I owe, as why wouldn't they as there is foreclosure and short sales eveywhere. It was an emotional 3 page hate filled narrative. Think the thing that is so hard is when you have a horse in the race, and you have had something personally affect you then it's just no holds barred. Have since toned down all rhetoric to trying to be helpful but you do get that moment where you type, and type, and type! :) Much different than in 2008 where life didn't suck so bad honestly!

affa
12-01-2011, 12:03 PM
with the exception of the insult at the end, this is a great starting point.

these are very much the misperceptions we need to correct -- and we need to be able to do it quickly and easily, since not everyone reads essays. having a go-to faq with quick, polite, well-written rebuttals might be helpful to many.

the sad fact is, most people seem to hear 'end the dept. of education' and instead hear 'people shouldn't get an education', and 'end the epa' translates as 'big business should be able to pollute'.

these are critical misconceptions to slay, especially for independent and crossover votes.

they aren't even hard to slay, because the answers are really obvious once you've heard them. it's just that many people have never even been exposed to these ideas. everyone seems to know 'the government is corrupt'... so connecting these dots can really create positive sparks that get people thinking.

roho76
12-01-2011, 12:05 PM
As far as expensive surgeries go, my mother in law just had spinal surgery on her dog for $6,500.00. I know that's a dog but it is spinal surgery none the less. She has to pay out of pocket there for the cost is lower.

Birdlady
12-01-2011, 12:21 PM
What the heck are you smoking, Jaik? Let's take a look at your ridiculous statements, point by point:

Jaik didn't even read this. You don't start out with smart aleck remarks and insults if you want someone to listen to you. If you don't think it's insulting, then put yourself in this person's shoes. Pretend someone wrote this to you arguing against Ron Paul and think about how you would react.

PeteinLA
12-01-2011, 12:31 PM
The thing is that the response had very little probability of influencing Jalk anyway. He seems to have made his mind up and is content with being a sheeple for the rest of his life. What I liked about the response is that other people reading it might actually have a light turned on by it. Jalk was a useful foil in this regard.

Still, I agree the "get a brain" response probably doesn't help but I understand the authors frustration at this point.

Revolution9
12-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Jaik didn't even read this. You don't start out with smart aleck remarks and insults if you want someone to listen to you. If you don't think it's insulting, then put yourself in this person's shoes. Pretend someone wrote this to you arguing against Ron Paul and think about how you would react.

Ah yes. But was he writing for Jaik? Methinks he was making sure subsequent readers were informed. In that case get a brain is a good admonishment.

Rev9

Tod
12-01-2011, 12:57 PM
Maybe we can refine the answers and ADD the statements/responses to

http://www.ronpaulmyths.com/

?

John F Kennedy III
12-01-2011, 12:58 PM
He laid the smackdown on him. I pity the foo! I understand the utter disgust from those perverse allegations against Ron Paul. He probably doesnt typically say "get a brain" but he knew he made an airtight case and had to emphasize the utter lack of brain matter to his opponent so that he might call into question his own intelligence. Well played.

This.