PDA

View Full Version : Help me buy a billboard for Ron Paul in Vegas!

robfellner
12-01-2011, 01:51 AM
Hi guys, I am having a fundraiser to purchase a billboard for Ron Paul here in Las Vegas! I am donating 1k of my own money towards the total $3500 cost, so I only need to raise $2500 more. Time is of the essence though as the caucus is only 2 months away! If you like this idea please share it with others and donate as much as you can.

I think this is a good idea for a few reasons. Obviously more exposure and advertising for Ron Paul is always a great thing. I particularly think focusing on his successful prediction of the housing crisis, his deep understanding of it, and consequently his ability to fix it, is very important in a city Las Vegas. As everyone knows, Las Vegas was hit harder than any other city in the country by the housing collapse. Our economy is in terrible shape. Voters here are naturally going to care about these issues significantly more-so than normal and as such it seems a perfect fit to highlight Ron Paul's unique skills and advantages to them in this area.

Ok so now down to brass tax. Ideally I would like to have this billboard up starting Dec. 12th until Feb. 6 (caucus is on Feb 4). The cost to rent the billboard is $1440 per 4 week period. Thus this would cost $2880. However there is also a $600 production cost plus tax ($48.60) which results in a total cost of $3530. I will donate $1030 myself and am seeking the additional $2500 from my fellow Ron Paul supporters to make this happen. Obviously more money would be great and could mean more billboard locations. In the unfortunate event I fail to raise the additional $2500, I will hopefully be able to at least raise $1k so that I can get the billboard for the 4 weeks right before the caucus.

More info can be found on my blog here:

http://robertfellner.blogspot.com/2011/11/help-buy-billboard-for-ron-paul-in-las.html

ZanZibar
12-01-2011, 09:14 AM
Don't you think that if billboards were an effective way of gaining votes then the campaign would be doing them? Just sayin'....

sailingaway
12-01-2011, 12:00 PM
No. Pretty much no one here but you thinks that, as far as I can tell. People feel like they can see need in their own areas, and the campaign is focussed like a laser on specific things. They don't have enough money to do every good thing, and some of the stuff for most of the billboards is done free when grassroots do it. However, I am pretty sure there are some billboards out that way, aren't there?

robfellner
12-01-2011, 01:24 PM
Hey guys,

I definitely hear what you are saying. If you don't think its a good idea, I totally understand that. Personally for me, I think this specific message "The only candidate who predicted the economic crisis, is the only one who can fix it." on a giant billboard on the corner of Main Street in Las Vegas for 2 months will be very beneficial in gaining new voters.

I live here. Las Vegas has been hit the hardest, by far, in the housing bubble and economic crisis that Ron Paul predicted. If more voters here realized that, I think he would gain significant support. The #1 voter issue in Las Vegas and Nevada more generally is the economy. I think Ron Paul has a signficiant advantage on economic issues than any other politician, hence why I like this billboard idea!

At a total cost of 3500 (I'm donating 1k of my own money) I am looking to raise $2500 to acheive this. Considering the size, location, and duration of this billboard, it seems like a pretty reasonable cost. Obviously, if you disagree then simply don't donate! If you do think it is a good idea, I would very much appreciate your help. Thank you again.

Robert Fellner

All details and more information can be found here: http://robertfellner.blogspot.com/2011/11/help-buy-billboard-for-ron-paul-in-las.html

robfellner
12-01-2011, 01:28 PM
Sailingaway,

I have not seen a single billboard for Ron Paul in Las Vegas. I don't think any exist. I interact with the official campaign from time to time, as they have an office here in Vegas and communicate with the regional director via Facebook. My impression is that the official campaign's main focus is on phone banking, door to door canvassing, and buying TV time for ads.

I think there are many other aspects of supporting Ron Paul, like the fantastic effort at ronpaulproducts.com, that help in a very significant way. Again, I'm just trying to explain my reasoning for doing this. If someone simply disagrees, I respect that and certainly understand if they prefer not to donate. Thanks again.

Robert Fellner

MsFreedomWatch
12-02-2011, 03:53 PM
Hi guys, I am having a fundraiser to purchase a billboard for Ron Paul here in Las Vegas! I am donating 1k of my own money towards the total $3500 cost, so I only need to raise $2500 more. Time is of the essence though as the caucus is only 2 months away! If you like this idea please share it with others and donate as much as you can.

I think this is a good idea for a few reasons. Obviously more exposure and advertising for Ron Paul is always a great thing. I particularly think focusing on his successful prediction of the housing crisis, his deep understanding of it, and consequently his ability to fix it, is very important in a city Las Vegas. As everyone knows, Las Vegas was hit harder than any other city in the country by the housing collapse. Our economy is in terrible shape. Voters here are naturally going to care about these issues significantly more-so than normal and as such it seems a perfect fit to highlight Ron Paul's unique skills and advantages to them in this area.

Ok so now down to brass tax. Ideally I would like to have this billboard up starting Dec. 12th until Feb. 6 (caucus is on Feb 4). The cost to rent the billboard is $1440 per 4 week period. Thus this would cost $2880. However there is also a $600 production cost plus tax ($48.60) which results in a total cost of $3530. I will donate $1030 myself and am seeking the additional $2500 from my fellow Ron Paul supporters to make this happen. Obviously more money would be great and could mean more billboard locations. In the unfortunate event I fail to raise the additional $2500, I will hopefully be able to at least raise $1k so that I can get the billboard for the 4 weeks right before the caucus.

More info can be found on my blog here:

http://robertfellner.blogspot.com/2011/11/help-buy-billboard-for-ron-paul-in-las.html

Great idea Robert. You may want to go to Ron Paul's Headquarters on Stephanie Street in Henderson, and post your information there. The volunteers need to know about this!! Be sure to include who to contact and where the billboard will be. Good luck!

JimInNY
12-02-2011, 08:43 PM
If billboard didn't work, they wouldn't exist.

Just because the official campaign ISN'T doing something, doesn't automatically classify it an ineffective idea.

Let the grassroots do what the grassroots wants to do.

Exactly, and they wouldn't be so damned expensive. :)

Come on folks, chip in $50 or $100. I did, and I'm from NY.

deadfish
12-02-2011, 09:02 PM
, your donation is now complete Payment by PayPal
Confirmation number:
An email with your donation details has been sent to and you can print your donation receipt.

$20 added, wish I could do more. Good luck and thank you!

robfellner
12-02-2011, 09:52 PM
Thank you all for your support, if I get this $500 cash infusion from VegasPatriot, we are in striking distance of reaching the goal by Monday, which I believe is necessary to ensure this location isn't lost to another bidder.

PS. I am in talks with The Revolution Pac about them matching all donations I receive over the next 2 days, which if it happens would virtually guarantee a Monday purchase!

deadfish
12-02-2011, 11:10 PM
bump

VegasPatriot
12-03-2011, 12:49 PM
Hey Rob, I sent my phone number to your email... and I just got done reading the comments on your blogspot. LMAO... don't worry, I am not a murderer. I've been involved with the '08 campaign and own a small business here, so I'm sure you will find I have a fine reputation here locally. You can check out some of the things I've done locally by visiting my YouTube page http://www.youtube.com/user/VegasPatriot. Give me a call when you have a chance and I will get you the $500 donation.

Badger for Paul
12-03-2011, 02:26 PM
For local elections, a billboard certainly isn't worthwhile because so many people who see it won't be in the right district, but a national election is certainly different.
I think as RP supporters, one of our greatest frustrations is that he does not get the same media exposure as the other candidates, so putting up signs and billboards is our way to fight this. There are still many people who have not heard of RP, so I think a billboard for RP to give him name exposure would be much more valuable than one for one of the media darlings.
Overall I don't know if billboards are worth it or not. I've donated to fund them before. I'll probably donate for them in the future. To get this election, we need to out-advertise and out-market all of the other candidates and billboards are one way to do it.

VegasPatriot
12-03-2011, 05:09 PM
I meet with Rob today and gave him my $500 donation for this project. I hope others will donate to ensure this billboard stays up till our caucus date of Feb 4.

JimInNY
12-03-2011, 05:24 PM
Awesome! Thanks VP!

robfellner
12-03-2011, 05:42 PM
Just met up with VegasPatriot and now we are only 1450 away from our total goal! I really hope we can raise the rest over the weekend! Also, I am kind of scared if I don't make this happen VP is going to hunt me down! :-)

I am going to update the blog to reflect our new donation and I also got a better youtube video of the actual location of the billboard as seen while driving.

Check it out and spread the link!

Blog: http://robertfellner.blogspot.com/2011/11/help-buy-billboard-for-ron-paul-in-las.html#comment-form

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-XL8CI7dM4&feature=channel_video_title

robfellner
12-03-2011, 09:54 PM
RevPac funding may not come through...hopefully they at least promote it so we can get the remaining $1400 needed by Monday. Thanks for all the support so far, hope the donations continue to come in and I will keep you guys posted!

robfellner
12-04-2011, 02:15 PM
Thank you so much for all your support, we have reached our goal!

Jilly4Liberty
12-05-2011, 01:21 PM
I think this is excellent! I always encourage people to donate directly to the Campaign before giving anything to outside fundraisers though. I want to make sure their laser focus is a high powered laser in the key states. :-D I will be happy to promote this through the Shop4Liberty weekly email blast though,encouraging people who have already maxed out their official campaign donations to contribute to the billboard as well! ps. If anyone ever has a grassroots event or activity that they wish to promote, we have a mailing list of about 1,000 Ron Paul Supporters that Grows every day. The purpose of the mailing list is (1) To promote Grassroots Activism For Ron Paul (it is not a news headline email blast-- we all get enough of those!) (2) To promote the fundraiser at www.shop4liberty.com to raise money for the Shop4Liberty Ron Paul Fundraiser to sent out Free Ron Paul Activist Kits to supporters all over the nation. you can join the mail list while requesting a free kit- or if you have already requested a kit and did not join the mail list just us the contact us form: www.shop4liberty.com/contactus.asp --- and to promote grassroots events... just use the Grassroots Events form www.shop4liberty.com/grassroots.asp