PDA

View Full Version : Immediate Action Required (ACLU): Urge the Senate to Oppose Indefinite Military Detention

Agorism
11-30-2011, 11:53 PM
Immediate Action Required: Urge the Senate to Oppose Indefinite Military Detention

https://www.aclu.org/apps//?action=33

Don't have to be a member just fill in information and send faxes via ACLU (JBS also offering their own faxes in other thread)

The U.S. Senate is considering the unthinkable: changing detention laws to imprison people — including Americans living in the United States itself — indefinitely and without charge.

The Defense Authorization bill — a "must-pass" piece of legislation — is headed to the Senate floor with troubling provisions that would give the President — and all future presidents — the authority to indefinitely imprison people, without charge or trial, both abroad and inside the United States.

Urge your Senators to oppose sections 1031 and 1032 of the Defense Authorization bill.

Aratus
12-01-2011, 12:22 AM
the ACLU is hotfoot about this with good reason!

KCIndy
12-01-2011, 12:37 AM
Hate to break it to ya, but the 1031 and 1032 provisions were already voted on, and confirmed by the Senate:

WASHINGTON -- The Senate voted Tuesday to keep a controversial provision to let the military detain terrorism suspects on U.S. soil and hold them indefinitely without trial -- prompting White House officials to reissue a veto threat.

The measure, part of the massive National Defense Authorization Act, was also opposed by civil libertarians on the left and right. But 16 Democrats and an independent joined with Republicans to defeat an amendment by Sen. Mark Udall (D-Colo.) that would have killed the provision, voting it down with 61 against, and 37 for it.

Only Rand Paul and Illinois senator Mike Kirk voted against the provisions on the Republican side. :(

dillo
12-01-2011, 12:50 AM
Let me say I am completely against this, however the precedent has been set. Look back to WW2, we threw the japanese people in camps just because they were of japanese descent. The supreme court upheld this see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korematsu_v._United_States

Former Supreme Court Justice Tom C. Clark, who represented the U.S. Department of Justice in the "relocation," writes in the Epilogue to the book Executive Order 9066: The Internment of 110,000 Japanese Americans (written by Maisie and Richard Conrat):

The truth is, the writ of habeas corpus shall not be suspended, and despite the Fifth Amendment's command that no person shall be deprived of life, liberty or property without due process of law, both of these constitutional safeguards were denied by military action under Executive Order 9066...

Its just not a surprise to me

KCIndy
12-01-2011, 12:59 AM
The truth is, the writ of habeas corpus shall not be suspended, and despite the Fifth Amendment's command that no person shall be deprived of life, liberty or property without due process of law, both of these constitutional safeguards were denied by military action under Executive Order 9066...

You just past the cynical test! You'll do, my friend, you'll do! :)

Agorism
12-01-2011, 09:50 AM
bump

seraphson
12-01-2011, 10:20 AM
Let me say I am completely against this, however the precedent has been set. Look back to WW2, we threw the japanese people in camps just because they were of japanese descent. The supreme court upheld this see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korematsu_v._United_States

Former Supreme Court Justice Tom C. Clark, who represented the U.S. Department of Justice in the "relocation," writes in the Epilogue to the book Executive Order 9066: The Internment of 110,000 Japanese Americans (written by Maisie and Richard Conrat):

"Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it." Is Amerika's memory really that bad?

Brett85
12-01-2011, 11:13 AM
I don't like being on the same side as the ACLU, but this is really an issue that all Americans should be able to agree on. We shouldn't surrender the Bill of Rights.