PDA

View Full Version : There might be many new members after the brochures are mailed.

Napolitanic Wars
11-30-2011, 11:30 PM
The brochure advertizes RPF on the back. These supervoters might be older religious people so we might want to tone-down the (bad) language. I'm sure most already know this but it's good to be reminded. :o

bluesc
11-30-2011, 11:35 PM
I was advertising RPF on the youtube video to the people that were actually curious about Ron. I suspect we have a few new lurkers. When the site is actually being advertised on Ron Paul literature, I agree with you.

LibertyEagle
11-30-2011, 11:39 PM
Are you serious? I hope not. This place is not where Christian conservatives need to be directed.

Oh geez.

bluesc
11-30-2011, 11:41 PM
Are you serious? I hope not. This place is not where Christian conservatives need to be directed.

Oh geez.

It might not have been finalized yet, make a suggestion here: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?333613-Custom-Super-Brochure-being-mailed-from-RevPAC!

JoshLowry
11-30-2011, 11:45 PM

Oh geez.

I'd say we're better than youtube comment sections.

Our moderators do a good job. Our front page puts our best foot forward.

Suzu
11-30-2011, 11:45 PM
Perhaps the better solution is for the site owners to install a forum modification that will automatically remove unwanted language. Because the people who insist on using that language not only won't stop or go away, they will actually do it MORE if there is any effort short of an automatic program to keep them in line.

ETA: It would be so great if such a program could change all the pre-existing uses of objectionable language rather than only from installation forward.

Xenophage
11-30-2011, 11:52 PM
I am not entirely opposed to a [whoopsie] profanity filter. Just a little bit opposed. :P

Suzu
11-30-2011, 11:54 PM
^^^^

very rude

XTreat
12-01-2011, 12:08 AM
Ug I hate the language police.

Aratus
12-01-2011, 12:29 AM
after iowa + n.h + s.c is february's slightly reduced version of SUPERTUESDAY

any language policing needs to be in place at least until march or april or longer

LibertyEagle
12-01-2011, 12:30 AM
Josh, I think you know what I am talking about. This isn't the place to send very religious conservatives new to Ron Paul.

I do agree with you about the YouTube comments, which is why I sent in a recommendation to start locking the comment section.

nayjevin
12-01-2011, 01:14 AM
Liberty requires eternal vigilance and self-policing. Please use your market force to help those who are out of line get back in line.

I don't want to be a Joe Arpaio.

Eric21ND
12-01-2011, 01:38 AM

I'm the last foot in that centipede. :D

ryanmkeisling
12-01-2011, 01:50 AM
I can't even believe this is being disgust. Censorship? Step back away from your zealous approach, and think for a minute. How does what is being proposed equate to freedom and liberty? Pretty soon it won't just be in a web forum and you guys will be calling for outright censorship of free speech because some of the old folks might have tender ears or maybe we need brain chips that monitor speech? This would be patently authoritarian. You guys cannot have your own definition of freedom. Ask yourselves who in society is this type of thing most akin to, and it isn't Ron Paul. My grandfather is a christian and he taught me lots of bad words... This is ridiculous and represents the opposite of freedom and liberty.

McDermit
12-01-2011, 02:11 AM
Meh. If someone is being unnecessarily brash, just flag it with a note to the mods. They're typically pretty quick about shutting down anyone who is doing more harm than good... just keep in mind that mods can't stay on top of every thread, so it's a communal effort. See something offensive, report it.

I don't think filters are necessary, and even if implemented, we'll start seeing people throwing dollar signs and asterisks into words to circumvent the filters.

Also not sure why anyone thinks it is a good idea to send newcomers to this site. In my mind, this has always been a place where activists and hardcore supporters come to brainstorm, collaborate, discuss strategies and fundraising, pat each other on the back and vent frustrations amongst sympathetic minds. I've never viewed it as a place to send people looking for answers, wanting information on Ron's positions, etc. Being a forum where so much "behind the scenes" planning and promotion takes pkace, we tend to be naturally suspicious of newcomers. I've seen longtime members lash out at a newbie who questioned one of Ron's positions, calling them a shill, a spy, tossing around accusations (cointelpro, agitprop, etc.) This site is the cream of the crop for activists and hardcore supporters, and I've recommended the forums to a lot of my friends, but I would never direct a "potential" supporter here.

tsetsefly
12-01-2011, 02:15 AM
I think everyone here or mostly everyone is mature enough to know not to use words like fuck every 3 post. I dont think we need this. Most conversations here are civil anyway, no need for the forum police....

gerryb
12-01-2011, 02:24 AM
Meh. If someone is being unnecessarily brash, just flag it with a note to the mods. They're typically pretty quick about shutting down anyone who is doing more harm than good... just keep in mind that mods can't stay on top of every thread, so it's a communal effort. See something offensive, report it.

See Something, Say Something.

John F Kennedy III
12-01-2011, 03:00 AM
See Something, Say Something.

Big Sis is watching.

Crystallas
12-01-2011, 03:02 AM
What would you do to help Ron win? Right now, we all need to turn it up a notch and be on our guard, as well as our best behavior.

SpiritOf1776_J4
12-01-2011, 03:12 AM
I'm very religiously conservative, but also a libertarian, and voted for Ron Paul in 2008.

I left this site after the last election and went to Daily Paul because it is a lot more balanced, and Christians probably post more over there. It has its problems as well, but mostly going OWS too much when it was a bad idea, which is no longer the case.

It's too late straighting this out. I also led a destitute hippy life in an artist community when I was younger, so I know how intolerant some of you can be - totally unacceptable to someone that has lived with you.

My advice - direct it to Daily Paul, or remove forums altogether, and list the official campaign site, which itself lists social networks or some way people can research their own forum and determine what they like, instead of making it an official part of the mailer - which might detract from the message.

God bless.

PS: Or list several forums, so people know it's a diverse group. For Iowa, this forum may not be as appealing. Just saying.

PSS: My mother is a long time supporter of Ron Paul too, and she's always liked Daily Paul better. More forums, the better.

scrosnoe
12-01-2011, 03:32 AM
I love Ron Paul Forums but have so far been unsuccessful in convincing some to clean up the language, so I don't send much traffic here as a result. I would love to, but already get a lot of heat from my Christian Conservative friends about things that are seen routinely here like Israel bashing, foul language and disrespecting other candidates (and I don't mean discussing bad policy). We can self police our community if we choose to do that by setting standards and insisting on them being kept whatever they are. I hope we will chose to make this a place more people can visit and be made to feel welcomed and comfortable. Most of us didn't wake up over-night. It is important how we treat one another!

Blessings/sc

Kludge
12-01-2011, 04:59 AM
Perhaps the better solution is for the site owners to install a forum modification that will automatically remove unwanted language. Because the people who insist on using that language not only won't stop or go away, they will actually do it MORE if there is any effort short of an automatic program to keep them in line.

ETA: It would be so great if such a program could change all the pre-existing uses of objectionable language rather than only from installation forward.
Pretty sure this has already been implemented. I've had to change language a couple times when it changed my words around (couldn't name Perry's ranch). ****** is forbidden, at least. edit: Yep, still is. Hold on, lemme check Carlin's Seven Dirty Words. edit2: none of those are censored.

Anyway, point is -- it's there, and could be modified to change around whatever desired with ease. I hate the restriction, but whatever - it's campaign season.