PDA

View Full Version : When Ron gets asked about the Newt ad...

ronpaultag
11-30-2011, 09:02 PM
He should say:

"Well, somebody's gotta do it, and unfortunately the other candidates hold many of the same positions that Newt has: they supported government mandated healthcare, they supported TARP, they supported the bailouts, they support the Federal Reserve system, they support the very things that go against what they claim to believe in. For them to criticize Newt would be the pot calling the kettle black.

The only thing I have in common with Newt that I criticized him for in the ad was advising Fannie/Freddie. I did the same thing on the house floor back in 2003. I warned them that they along with the Federal Reserve were artificially inflating a housing bubble and that it would eventually burst bringing our financial system down with it. The only difference is I didn't collect $1.6 million in consulting fees from the taxpayer."

spudea
11-30-2011, 09:15 PM
thats a good response. How Bout:

"Part of the primary process is voters getting to know the candidates. I believe republican votes should know the information presented in the video, and make the decision do you want a candidate who changes his positions based on political and monetary gain or do you want a principled candidate that stays true to the conservative platform, and has been consistent for decades. I'm that consistent candidate and I can beat Obama."

paulpwns
11-30-2011, 09:19 PM
I think Ron Paul should get very forthright from now on.

Brick-in-the-Wall
11-30-2011, 09:20 PM
"I didn't want voters getting lulled into a false sense of security...like his first two wives."

FSP-Rebel
11-30-2011, 09:21 PM
"I didn't want voters getting lulled into a false sense of security...like his first two wives."
Burn but he shouldn't say (it) like that.

FreedomProsperityPeace
11-30-2011, 09:22 PM
I hope Dr. Paul has some good comments ready for Saturday's debate. When he released that Perry ad ("Trust"), he was ready with some barbs for the debate that happened near the same time (the night the infamous "assault" happened).

milo10
11-30-2011, 09:22 PM
He should say:

"Well, somebody's gotta do it, and unfortunately the other candidates hold many of the same positions that Newt has: they supported government mandated healthcare, they supported TARP, they supported the bailouts, they support the Federal Reserve system, they support the very things that go against what they claim to believe in. For them to criticize Newt would be the pot calling the kettle black.

The only thing I have in common with Newt that I criticized him for in the ad was advising Fannie/Freddie. I did the same thing on the house floor back in 2003. I warned them that they along with the Federal Reserve were artificially inflating a housing bubble and that it would eventually burst bringing our financial system down with it. The only difference is I didn't collect $1.6 million in consulting fees from the taxpayer."

That is excellent! Are you Tom Woods? :)

Brick-in-the-Wall
11-30-2011, 09:24 PM
Burn but he shouldn't say (it) like that.

Oh of course not but if he ever did I'd die of laughter.

Okie RP fan
11-30-2011, 09:25 PM
No doubt Gingrich will bring this up and distort something as the crowd cheers at the next debate...

That will be Ron's time to cement the boot on Newt.

J-Reg
11-30-2011, 09:40 PM
No doubt Gingrich will bring this up and distort something as the crowd cheers at the next debate...

That will be Ron's time to cement the boot on Newt. He should definitely have SOMETHING ready at the next debate. If he plays it right, he could get Newt so owned that Ron is the big winner of the debate! This could work out great for us going into Iowa!

ronpaultag
11-30-2011, 09:43 PM

Also slightly worried about that, Newt is a good debater. Luckily Ron has truth & reason on his side, so as long as he presents things in the right way he should be fine. I hope they prepare him for the next debate.

I am guessing that Newt and the others will pull the "We need to focus our efforts on Barack Obama ..." - I think Ron could use this to his advantage and say something like:

I agree we need to get Obama out of office: his support for government mandated healthcare, his support for bailouts, his support for TARP, his support for the Federal Reserve. All policies that have our economy in the tank, all policies you also supported.

Okie RP fan
11-30-2011, 09:44 PM
Well, let's just hope Ron has something up his sleeve in response to Newt.

Because, surely Newt won't back down from this?

georgiaboy
11-30-2011, 09:47 PM

Good point. Newt might try and come at it from Reagan's 11th commandment (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eleventh_Commandment_%28Ronald_Reagan%29):

While popularized by Reagan, "The Eleventh Commandment" was created by then California Republican Party Chairman Gaylord Parkinson. In his 1990 autobiography An American Life, Reagan attributed the rule to Parkinson, explained its origin, and claimed to have followed it.[3]:

The personal attacks against me during the primary finally became so heavy that the state Republican chairman, Gaylord Parkinson, postulated what he called the Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt not speak ill of any fellow Republican. It's a rule I followed during that campaign and have ever since.

The goal was to prevent a repeat of the liberal Republican assault on Barry Goldwater, attacks which contributed to Goldwater's defeat in the 1964 presidential election.[1] East Coast Republicans like Nelson Rockefeller labeled Goldwater an "extremist" for his conservative positions and declared him unfit to hold office.[1] Fellow Republican candidate for Governor George Christopher and California's liberal Republicans were leveling similar attacks on Reagan. Hoping to prevent a split in the Republican Party, Parkinson used the phrase as common ground. Party liberals eventually followed Parkinson's advice.

Ron should be prepared for this and other ways Gingrich can try to turn this around.

Okie RP fan
11-30-2011, 09:50 PM
Good point. Newt might try and come at it from Reagan's 11th commandment (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eleventh_Commandment_%28Ronald_Reagan%29):

Ron should be prepared for this and other ways Gingrich can try to turn this around.

I saw that "11th Commandment" thrown around tonight. Thanks for posting.

Then we definitely know Gingrich will use it. Gingrich evokes Reagan during every debate to get the crowd wooed over. Ron really needs to be prepared. He needs to say something along the more detailed lines of "What you've supported and done is anything but Republican."

LibertyEsq
11-30-2011, 09:53 PM
The best thing about the timing of this is that the other candidates will join Paul in attacking the so-called "frontrunner" when this is brought up in the debates. Newt will be torn down just in time for Iowa.

Okie RP fan
11-30-2011, 09:57 PM
The best thing about the timing of this is that the other candidates will join Paul in attacking the so-called "frontrunner" when this is brought up in the debates. Newt will be torn down just in time for Iowa.

Let's hope... Where's Perry when you need him?

georgiaboy
11-30-2011, 09:58 PM
Ron should make sure he has a good strong definition of the word "hypocrisy" down pat.

Newt could focus on that word and try and shade its meaning to not be what he's said and done in the video, but rather try and point it back at Ron somehow.

georgiaboy
11-30-2011, 10:00 PM
Ron seems to deflect these possible confrontational moments in a deflective, folksy way, IIRC from other debates.

LibertyEsq
11-30-2011, 10:01 PM
Ron should make sure he has a good strong definition of the word "hypocrisy" down pat.

Newt could focus on that word and try and shade its meaning to not be what he's said and done in the video, but rather try and point it back at Ron somehow.

Ron's solid on the hypocrisy charge. Look at the section of the ad that has the woman talking about how Gingrich blasted Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac while taking $1.6 million from them. That sounds like hypocrisy to me and probably to any reasonable voter

johndeal
11-30-2011, 10:02 PM

Then we definitely know Gingrich will use it. Gingrich evokes Reagan during every debate to get the crowd wooed over. Ron really needs to be prepared. He needs to say something along the more detailed lines of "What you've supported and done is anything but Republican."

That's got to be Ron's response to any 11th commandment BS. "Newt, if you were a true conservative Republican then we wouldn't have to tell the conservative Reagan Republicans listening tonight all of the progressive nonsense you've tried to pull during your long career as a Washington insider."

georgiaboy
11-30-2011, 10:02 PM

Yep, and also Ron could say, "I didn't say anything about you in that video. You said it, or Nancy said it, or Chris said it, or Rush said it."

Okie RP fan
11-30-2011, 10:04 PM
Yep, and also Ron could say, "I didn't say anything about you in that video. You said it, or Nancy said it, or Chris said it, or Rush said it."

Haha, this could be good. Let's hope Dr. Paul is prepared.

georgiaboy
11-30-2011, 10:14 PM
I just read on another thread where Newt helped run an opposition candidate against Ron in Ron's 1996 campaign, for US Rep presumably. Ron will have much '11th commandment' dirt from back then, dontcha know.

Okie RP fan
11-30-2011, 10:20 PM
Oh, really? Doesn't surprise me.

I am still kind of surprised this came up tonight. Was anyone expecting this ad? I hadn't seen any promotions or hints of it at all.

Maximus
11-30-2011, 10:27 PM
Ron Paul absolutely has to back up the ad and falcon punch Newt in the debate.

When Pawlenty refused to put a finger on mitt in a debate it ended his campaign. We can't do that.

enjerth
11-30-2011, 10:41 PM
I saw that "11th Commandment" thrown around tonight.

"America doesn't need another president who's policy is speak no evil about their own party. You purport bipartisanship, but you reveal that underneath that cloak is a heart that holds the party in highest regards, even above the best interest of the country. The American people deserve better! They deserve an honest and principled leader who isn't afraid to stand alone against the party when the party neglects what's right for America!"
-- Words I'd like to put in Ron Paul's mouth when Newt cites the 11th commandment. :D

FreedomProsperityPeace
11-30-2011, 10:45 PM
Ron's solid on the hypocrisy charge. Look at the section of the ad that has the woman talking about how Gingrich blasted Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac while taking $1.6 million from them. That sounds like hypocrisy to me and probably to any reasonable voterGerri Willis from Fox Business.

CaptainAmerica
11-30-2011, 10:56 PM
This is payback for the time Newt tried to get Ron Paul to lose elections in the 1990s.

LEK
12-01-2011, 09:37 AM
YES!
I like Somebody had to do it - best response because it is 100% true and shows guts.

We do not need another McCain and we do not need to wait to bring this info out AFTER the primaries - needs to be said NOW!

anewvoice
12-01-2011, 10:47 AM
There is a debate on Saturday 12/3?

Edu
12-01-2011, 01:40 PM

"Boot the Newt"

I like that!

Got bumper sticker?