PDA

View Full Version : My email to Pat Toomey (who voted yes for the NDAA)

Superfly
11-30-2011, 05:20 PM
Suggestions?

Dear Senator Toomey,
The National Defense Authorization Act is an abomination of legislation. There is no other way to say it. I would like a response as to why the Senator, whom I supported for his small-government views, voted in favor of a bill that would allow the indefinite detention of American citizens by the military?
I would remind the Senator that such legislation clearly violates the Constitution and permits the government to view anybody as a potential terrorist. This legislation is dangerous. To quote a famous saying that I am sure the Senator heard, "those who would give up any essential liberty in exchange for security deserve neither liberty nor security."
I would also remind the Senator that even the Nazis were put on trial. Indefinite detention of anyone, even terrorists, cannot be the actions of a nation that is supposed to be the great beacon of freedom for the world to admire.
This bill may very well have good intentions, but so have an infinite amount of bills that have put our country in the position it is today financially.
It is entirely possible to protect the security of the American people constitutionally and without sacrificing the liberty that makes the country great. The bill the Senator voted in favor of is a direct threat to that freedom. A person who truly believes in small government and the Constitution could never support such a bill. To do otherwise makes all of the Senator's campaign rhetoric precisely what he campaigned against: big government activism and a mindset that government can do whatever it wants. The Founders would be ashamed.
If the Senator can give me a satisfying explanation I may be able to bring myself to not actively work against his next campaign, and I very much hope he does, I would appreciate it.

Thank you,

XXXX XXXXX