PDA

View Full Version : Senate Passes Indefinite Detention Bill...Considers Bill Authorizing More Torture

Lucille
11-30-2011, 12:11 AM
Who are these despicable tyrants, and why do they hate America?

Senate Passes Bill Allowing Indefinite Detention of Americans ... Considers Bill Authorizing More Torture (http://www.zerohedge.com/contributed/senate-passes-bill-allowing-indefinite-detention-americans-considers-bill-authorizing-mo)

While some have claimed that this is incorrect, and that American citizens would be exempted from the indefinite detention within U.S. borders authorized by the Act, the Committee chairman who co-sponsored the bill – Carl Levin – stated today in Senate debate that it could apply to American citizens.

Levin cited the Supreme Court case of Hamdi which ruled that American citizens can be treated as enemy combatants:

“The Supreme Court has recently ruled there is no bar to the United States holding one of its own citizens as an enemy combatant,” said Levin. “This is the Supreme Court speaking.“

Yeah, we know that our black-robed statist overlords hate the BoR too. But thanks for the reminder, Carl, you repugnant little worm.

While passage of the bill would make the Founding Fathers roll in their grave, it might not change that much. As former constitutional lawyer Glenn Greenwald notes:

With very few exceptions, the McCain-Levin bill, awful though it is, doesn’t create any powers beyond what the O Admin thinks it now has.

It just makes it official, is all. You know, as in passed by CONgress and signed into law by the POTUS.

The same Senate is now considering a bill to repeal the prohibitions against torture:

The ACLU and over 30 other organizations sent a letter to the Senate asking them to oppose an effort in Congress that threatens to revive the use of torture and other inhumane interrogation techniques. If passed, an amendment introduced by Sen. Kelly Ayotte (R-N.H.) to the Defense Authorization bill would roll back torture prevention measures that Congress overwhelmingly approved in the 2005 McCain Anti-Torture Amendment, as well as a 2009 Executive Order on ensuring lawful interrogations. It would also require the administration to create a secret list of approved interrogation techniques in a classified annex to the existing interrogation field manual.

Glenn Greenwald pointed out last week:

Andrew Sullivan … today noted that the U.S. under Obama imposes even less accountability for abuse of power and war crimes than does Bahrain:

Bahrain’s Sunni government promised “no immunity” for anyone suspected of abuses and said it would propose creating a permanent human rights watchdog commission. “All those who have broken the law or ignored lawful orders and instructions will be held accountable,” said a government statement, which says the report acknowledges that the “systematic practice of mistreatment” ended shortly after martial law was repealed on June 1.

As Andrew put it: “So a Middle East dictatorship has more democratic accountability for abuse of power, including torture, than the US under Obama.”

Maybe some ME country will come and liberate us from our brutal dictators!

dillo
11-30-2011, 01:45 AM
how does this pass?

SL89
11-30-2011, 02:09 AM
how does this pass?

One dollar at a time. :(

ronpaulfollower999
11-30-2011, 06:25 AM
These tyrants hate America because we are free. Maybe these are the real terrorist Santorum talks about?

Matt Collins
11-30-2011, 01:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKaTxjxnYfE&feature=uploademail

angelatc
11-30-2011, 01:49 PM
These tyrants hate America because we are free. Maybe these are the real terrorist Santorum talks about?

This is a great gauge of the effect we've had. Rand Paul tried to stop it but couldn't. I might be wrong, but I think only 1 other Republican voted with him. Ron Paul's in a solid third place while Newt Gingrich is soaring into the lead.

LIke the Collins, we're legends only in our own minds.

hazek
11-30-2011, 02:10 PM
LIke the Collins, we're legends only in our own minds.

And it all has to do with media propaganda. It's our biggest enemy and unless we primarily focus on defeating it nothing will ever change. And that's a fact.

LibertyEagle
11-30-2011, 02:31 PM
And it all has to do with media propaganda. It's our biggest enemy and unless we primarily focus on defeating it nothing will ever change. And that's a fact.
Hazek, I agree that we need to somehow figure out how we can get a media outlet. But, hell, even one helluva lot of people on this very forum won't trouble themselves with turning on Freedom Watch, so that it won't get taken off the air.

Add that to the fact that we are in the middle of trying to get Ron Paul elected, makes this particular time a rotten time to expect everyone to drop everything to figure out how to get a TV channel. No offense, but it almost reminds me of the way the voter fraud people came over here en masse during the last election and expected us to focus on THAT, instead of getting literature out to the voters. Of course, they have been nowhere to be seen during the last 4 years, when there WAS time to get the voting machines thrown out. Nope. Not a peep. I'm waiting for them to come here again to derail.

hazek
11-30-2011, 02:47 PM
1. I'v been saying this longer than just this pre-election period
2. What good is doing anything else if it gets almost completely negated by the media propaganda? Worse off, we give them money so we can run ads for a couple of minutes a few times while they marginalize us the rest of the time.

Doing anything else is like a single person trying to explain his theory to an audience of 100.000 people while they all listen to a huge speaker in a tower explain the opposite theory. You just can't win like that.

One more time: If we do not primarily focus on defeating the media propaganda, nothing else matters. Just ask jews who survived Nazi Germany if you don't believe me.