PDA

View Full Version : Schiff - "Buying a bunch of imported junk on plastic" = Pilgrimage to Poverty

Anti Federalist
11-29-2011, 10:36 PM
At the start and at 5:10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve8vsIntwYc&feature=player_embedded#!

Brian4Liberty
11-30-2011, 11:42 AM
Peter Schiff just doesn't understand the new paradigm. Americans can live on food stamps, welfare and credit cards. Even if there's work to be done in the US, we can import people to do that. It's easy street! We won't run out of milk and bread, the government will provide, food stamps always cover those kinds of food, plus McDonalds too! Why so negative Peter?

Anti Federalist
11-30-2011, 11:43 AM
What, nothing?

Schiff is saying basically what I have been saying all along (no he's not saying anything about tariffs) but he is saying that an economy does not recover by a bunch of people running out and buying imported crap with money they don't have.

That it would be a different story if they were out buying stuff that was made here, thus putting people to work.

Anti Federalist
11-30-2011, 11:44 AM
Peter Schiff just doesn't understand the new paradigm. Americans can live on food stamps, welfare and credit cards. Even if there's work to be done in the US, we can import people to do that. It's easy street! We won't run out of milk and bread, the government will provide, food stamps always cover those kinds of food, plus McDonalds too! Why so negative Peter?

Yes!

That's it, we spend our way to prosperity by buying a bunch of crap that we can't afford.

heavenlyboy34
11-30-2011, 11:46 AM
What, nothing?

Schiff is saying basically what I have been saying all along (no he's not saying anything about tariffs) but he is saying that an economy does not recover by a bunch of people running out and buying imported crap with money they don't have.

That it would be a different story if they were out buying stuff that was made here, thus putting people to work.
Yep. Consumption-based economy=fail.

Krugerrand
11-30-2011, 11:55 AM
What, nothing?

Exactly! The jobs it takes to divulge ourselves of our capital resources do not count as an economy.

hazek
11-30-2011, 11:56 AM
You guys should have hear his show today when he had a economics professor as guest saying that it's the demand that drives supply and that all this debt and trade deficit is not a problem at this time at all. The guy was beyond ridiculous and Peter really destroyed him :D

silverhandorder
11-30-2011, 12:04 PM
You guys should have hear his show today when he had a economics professor as guest saying that it's the demand that drives supply and that all this debt and trade deficit is not a problem at this time at all. The guy was beyond ridiculous and Peter really destroyed him :D
You have a link ?

LibertyEagle
11-30-2011, 12:11 PM
There is another thread on here that I was reading yesterday that had more than one post in it claiming that it was fine and dandy for us to be a consumption society. Nor did we need to produce anything here.

I thought I had made a wrong click and entered dumbass.com.

specsaregood
11-30-2011, 12:23 PM
There is another thread on here that I was reading yesterday that had more than one post in it claiming that it was fine and dandy for us to be a consumption society. Nor did we need to produce anything here.

Are you suggesting that we can't live for free letting the world feed and clothe us into eternity! Heresy!

hazek
11-30-2011, 12:24 PM
You have a link ?

It was today's show, so I doubt there a tube of it yet, just listen to the continues 24h loop of the last show..

Anti Federalist
11-30-2011, 12:25 PM

Savings, prudent investments, hard work and independence has no place in the modern global economy.

Profligate government and citizen spending, even when they are both broke, is the only way to prosperity now.

heavenlyboy34
11-30-2011, 12:26 PM
Peter Schiff just doesn't understand the new paradigm. Americans can live on food stamps, welfare and credit cards. Even if there's work to be done in the US, we can import people to do that. It's easy street! We won't run out of milk and bread, the government will provide, food stamps always cover those kinds of food, plus McDonalds too! Why so negative Peter? Food stamps work at McDonald's now? In my state, food stamps (EBT cards) are only for supermarket food.

heavenlyboy34
11-30-2011, 12:28 PM

lolz!! Was that one of Roy L's threads? Sounds like something he'd advocate.

specsaregood
11-30-2011, 12:30 PM
Food stamps work at McDonald's now? In my state, food stamps (EBT cards) are only for supermarket food.

In some states you can even get a pizza and dine-in restaurants on ebt now.

Anti Federalist
11-30-2011, 12:31 PM
Food stamps work at McDonald's now? In my state, food stamps (EBT cards) are only for supermarket food.

I was curious myself.

A quick googling indicates that the answer seems to be: sometimes.

Some do, some don't or only for certain items.

heavenlyboy34
11-30-2011, 12:33 PM
SRSLY?!! :eek: OMG!!111 What's the incentive to get to work if you can get anything you want at the taxpayer's expense? (note also, fyi, if you look at the back of those cards, you'll typically see "account by JP Morgan" or something to that effect. Yep, the big banksters are profiting from American poverty. Surprise!)

specsaregood
11-30-2011, 12:36 PM
I was curious myself.
A quick googling indicates that the answer seems to be: sometimes.
Some do, some don't or only for certain items.

They are lobbying federally now too:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?313702-More-restaurants-are-targeting-customers-who-use-food-stamps

from that:

The number of businesses approved to accept food stamps grew by a third from 2005 to 2010, U.S. Department of Agriculture records show, as vendors from convenience and dollar discount stores to gas stations and pharmacies increasingly joined the growing entitlement program.

Now, restaurants, which typically have not participated in the program, are lobbying for a piece of the action.

Louisville-based Yum! Brands, whose restaurants include Taco Bell, KFC, Long John Silver's and Pizza Hut, is trying to get restaurants more involved, federal lobbying records show.

Deborah K
11-30-2011, 12:38 PM
I bought Schiff's book 'Crash Proof' about 4 years ago. We took his recommendations. I strongly suggest if you haven't, that you do so.

Brian4Liberty
11-30-2011, 12:55 PM

In California, they work almost everywhere, using an EBT debit card. I was recently told by someone that receives the free government food that his family takes great pleasure in dining out and eating steak and sushi with the card, just to rub in to the people who are actually working.

Brian4Liberty
11-30-2011, 12:56 PM
SRSLY?!! :eek: OMG!!111 What's the incentive to get to work if you can get anything you want at the taxpayer's expense? (note also, fyi, if you look at the back of those cards, you'll typically see "account by JP Morgan" or something to that effect. Yep, the big banksters are profiting from American poverty. Surprise!)

Bingo!

Brian4Liberty
11-30-2011, 01:00 PM
Are you suggesting that we can't live for free letting the world feed and clothe us into eternity! Heresy!

Just food and clothes? It doesn't stop there! You are also entitled to a flat screen TV, a smart phone, an Xbox, and free liquor and smokes!

heavenlyboy34
11-30-2011, 01:03 PM
Just food and clothes? It doesn't stop there! You are also entitled to a flat screen TV, a smart phone, an Xbox, and free liquor and smokes!
No free hookers and webbernet? :eek: This is not the third world, man!

Danke
11-30-2011, 01:07 PM
In California, they work almost everywhere, using an EBT debit card. I was recently told by someone that receives the free government food that his family takes great pleasure in dining out and eating steak and sushi with the card, just to rub in to the people who are actually working.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NzspsovNvII

Brian4Liberty
11-30-2011, 02:34 PM
Talk about a coincidence, one of those "informational" chain e-mails hit my inbox today:

LARMONDO "FLAIR" ALLEN

AT AGE 25 - He had 9 Children.

He was 25 and had 3 sons and 6 daughters.
NINE welfare recipients collecting $950 each.....
That equals $8,550 a month in cash!!!

Do the math... $102,000+ /year.

Now add Food Stamps, Free medical, Free school lunches, Section 8 housing, charity food, and on and on.

That's a successful entrepreneur!

To be clear, this is not a racial issue. Anecdotally, people I have personally met that are on welfare are white. All of my "non-white" acquaintances have jobs or have not signed up for welfare or food stamps.

Anti Federalist
12-02-2011, 11:41 PM
Confirmed that EBTs can be used at fast food places.

http://news.yahoo.com/food-stamps-fast-food-restaurants-183900927.html