PDA

View Full Version : FL - Dog calls 911 on himself. Cop shows up. Shoots dog dead.

Anti Federalist
11-29-2011, 09:29 PM
Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse or more strange.

Even when you hang up on 911 someone may end up getting shot.

911 call leads to dog's shooting

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/news/local/sun_coast/911-call-leads-to-dog%27s-shooting-11282011

Updated: Monday, 28 Nov 2011, 8:51 PM EST
Published : Monday, 28 Nov 2011, 8:41 PM EST

BRADENTON - A Bradenton man is upset that a Manatee County Sheriff's Sergeant shot his dog. Ozzie was a 1-year-old bull mastiff and pit bull mix.

"I don't think drawing a gun and shooting my dog was the right thing to do," said dog owner Joe Viviani.

The shooting happened Sunday morning. Viviani says he wasn't home. He says his mother was at his house with Ozzie and his other dog, when the trouble began.

"The dog somehow jumped on the couch when she got here and dialed the phone," said Viviani. "It must've been to 911."

Manatee Sheriff's Office Spokesman Dave Bristow says the department isn't convinced one of the dogs called 911, but dispatchers did receive a hang-up call from the residence.

"They're claiming that the dog actually called 911. That sounds a little far fetched," said Bristow.

Regardless, officers respond to every 911 hang-up call. They can be dangerous because officers never know what to expect.

Sgt. Will Kelley responded to the call. Viviani's mother opened the door, trying to keep the two dogs inside the house. But 65 pound Ozzie got out. That's where the two sides of the story part ways.

"One of them kept coming at the deputy and eventually the deputy had to shoot the dog," said Bristow, adding that the dog was aggressive and not backing down.

Viviani says he doesn't believe his dog would behave that way.

"They were puppies. They were jumping, and happy, and sniffing around," he said. "And then, I guess, he got scared and shot the one dog."

Dog encounters are becoming more common for police officers. So much so, that in St. Pete, the police department drew up a new policy to deal with dogs, after an officer shot and killed Boomer, a 12-year-old, arthritic Golden Retriever.

The shooting created an uproar. Now, St. Pete officers will be trained to deal with dog encounters by keeping their distance and using catch poles instead of guns.

"Unless a dog presents a threat to a human being of death or great bodily harm, officers are not going to be authorized to use their weapons," explained St. Pete Police Chief Chuck Harmon.

Viviani says it didn't have to happen.

"They have pepper spray. They have a taser," he said. "I don't know why his first things was to draw a gun and shoot my dog right in the head at point blank range."

Bristow says based on the department's preliminary investigation, Sgt. Kelley did what he was supposed to do.

ShaneEnochs
11-29-2011, 09:34 PM
Gah... why do they keep shooting people's dogs?

flightlesskiwi
11-29-2011, 09:38 PM
i'm gonna go with the dog dialed 911 :eek:

Regardless, officers respond to every 911 hang-up call. They can be dangerous because officers never know what to expect.

^that sentence brings something to mind.... yup, that's it:

NEVER CALL THE COPS. not even accidentally.

SL89
11-29-2011, 09:45 PM
It is not uncommon for 911 to be on quick dial. Nor is it uncommon for a person's phone to be cordless. Dog hit button by accident and dog is dead.

Note to self.... teach dog self defense and k*ll stupid cop before he uses his IQ of 35 to kill the dog.

Anti Federalist
11-29-2011, 09:47 PM
Gah... why do they keep shooting people's dogs?

Because there has been a change in training, coming from both above (the Feds), sideways (the towns' lawyers and insurance) and below (the union leadership).

Everything now revolves around "officer safety".

The force continuum is no longer vertical, it is circular, meaning a cop on the scene can use whatever force comes to mind as being the most effective to ensure "officer safety", neutralizing hostiles at the scene (that's us, Mundanes, citizens) and maintaining control.

Shooting the dog is perceived as the safest route for the cop, it's also the cheapest route for the town, even if a Mundane successfully sues, it's cheaper than dealing with disability and medical care for a cop that gets bit.

And that's why calling one of these people into your home is a mistake you may never recover from.

Any dealing with a LEO must be handled with deadly seriousness.

AFPVet
11-29-2011, 10:38 PM
Because there has been a change in training, coming from both above (the Feds), sideways (the towns' lawyers and insurance) and below (the union leadership).

The force continuum is no longer vertical, it is circular, meaning a cop on the scene can use whatever force comes to mind as being the most effective to ensure "officer safety", neutralizing hostiles at the scene (that's us, Mundanes, citizens) and maintaining control.

Shooting the dog is perceived as the safest route for the cop, it's also the cheapest route for the town, even if a Mundane successfully sues, it's cheaper than dealing with disability and medical care for a cop that gets bit.

And that's why calling one of these people into your home is a mistake you may never recover from.

That's it in a nutshell!

Napolitanic Wars
11-29-2011, 10:42 PM
One more reason why cops are pussies. Ooooh, he got scaredz of the barking dogz!!1

ShaneEnochs
11-29-2011, 10:46 PM
I think I'd have troubling bringing myself to fire on a dog that was actually attacking me.

Now a police officer attacking me, on the other hand...

Anti Federalist
11-29-2011, 10:49 PM
That's it in a nutshell!

Thanks for the "backup", it's appreciated, especially coming from somebody who was in law enforcement.

Brian4Liberty
11-29-2011, 10:50 PM
Some smartphones are very easy to accidentally to hit 911 on. It's an emergency feature. And don't forget about the TV. Damn dog is always changing the channel! ;)

SL89
11-29-2011, 10:51 PM

+rep

Jeremy
11-29-2011, 10:54 PM
My crazy dog jumps on new people because she gets really excited. Sometimes she gets so excited about new people, she rolls around on her back or pees. I highly doubt the dog was being aggressive.

Son of Detroit
11-29-2011, 11:10 PM
Dog committed suicide.

SL89
11-29-2011, 11:13 PM
Dog committed suicide.

Won't be long and the ones that stood firm will classified as such.

Restore America Now
11-29-2011, 11:13 PM
I can't take all of these dog murders. It's making me very upset. :(

DamianTV
11-30-2011, 01:36 AM

Actually, what I think is happening is that the orders to kill the dogs on sight are coming from somewhere else. A Gun many times is a persons first line of defense as bullets fly faster than dogs can run, but dogs do not run out of ammo like guns, and are the 2nd Line of Defense.

Those at the top want us to be as Defenseless As Possible. They know as well as we do that this whole thing is going to come to a head soon enough. This is their way of disarming us before the shit really hits the fan.

AFPVet
12-02-2011, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the "backup", it's appreciated, especially coming from somebody who was in law enforcement.

You're welcome! It's scary stuff!

Rael
12-02-2011, 08:53 PM
Bad idea to open the door for cops. I long ago made the decision that if for some reason I cannot avoid opening the door for a cop, I will lock my dog in the bedroom.

xFiFtyOnE
12-02-2011, 09:12 PM
One single dog couldn't really hurt a full grown adult (unless perhaps it was a trained attack dog). Better solution would have probably been to kick the dog. Even the biggest meanest dog is likely to back down if it catches a foot to the snout. I've seen it before. But the cop probably just didn't care or had that sense of power telling him to kill some guys dog because he can. Some cops are very sick people and I don't know how they pass the psych evaluation.

Kylie
12-02-2011, 11:25 PM
Bad idea to open the door for cops. I long ago made the decision that if for some reason I cannot avoid opening the door for a cop, I will lock my dog in the bedroom.

Doesn't matter. They'll kill them in your house, then.

The only thing to do is get a shit load of dogs, make em mean as fuck, and not care if the cops pick off a few of them.

Like the government does with our military.

Expendable.

:mad:

DamianTV
12-03-2011, 07:34 AM
Doesn't matter. They'll kill them in your house, then.

The only thing to do is get a shit load of dogs, make em mean as fuck, and not care if the cops pick off a few of them.

Like the government does with our military.

Expendable.

:mad:

The only ones I see that are expendable are the ones at the top of the food chain giving the kill orders to begin with. Those fuckers would sacrifice their own mothers to Satan for a fucking lollipop. Most everyone else has family and are coerced into their actions by Perpetual Dependancy on the State, which gives them the power of the Chain of Obedience (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NcLNoxiPBk).

Obedience is the Real Foundation of Misplaced Power.

MikeStanart
12-03-2011, 08:11 AM
Ok, this whole senario is terrible....but I couldn't help but laugh at the fantastic usage of a pun.

"They're claiming that the dog actually called 911. That sounds a little far fetched," said Bristow.