PDA

View Full Version : Obombya gonna save us from indefinite detention. Threatens veto....

phill4paul
11-29-2011, 07:19 PM
Lib friend sent me this. I find it interesting that both the left and right raised concerns to their representatives and still it passed.

http://motherjones.com/mojo/2011/11/obama-threatens-veto-defense-bill

The Obama administration released a statement of administration policy Thursday afternoon that threatens to veto the upcoming defense spending bill if it retains provisions further militarizing domestic counterterrorism operations.

bluesc
11-29-2011, 07:22 PM
The reason public pressure didn't bother them is that it is a must-pass bill. I can't see Obama vetoing it, despite the threat. I hope he does. I promise not to bash him for a week if he vetoes it.

phill4paul
11-29-2011, 07:31 PM
The reason public pressure didn't bother them is that it is a must-pass bill. I can't see Obama vetoing it, despite the threat. I hope he does. I promise not to bash him for a week if he vetoes it.

Ya know what? I would actually agree to those terms. :D

MikeStanart
11-29-2011, 07:43 PM
Omg please veto this trash.

ShaneEnochs
11-29-2011, 08:45 PM
It's not going to happen. He'll call it an "imperfect, but necessary" bill. Watch and see.

phill4paul
11-29-2011, 08:57 PM
It's not going to happen. He'll call it an "imperfect, but necessary" bill. Watch and see.

Yeah, that's the way I see it. Can't wait to bring this back on my Lib friends. Of course they harumph and haw and skiddale this way and that when I list the Dem Senators that voted 'Yea'.

sailingaway
11-29-2011, 08:58 PM
RAnd introduced a bill to strike the provision, the others only tinker with it. And had a fight (well, words) exchanged with McCain on the Senate floor over it today, as well.

I hope Obama does strike it down. He may, to reenergize his base, but he has been SO bad on this kind of stuff that if he does, I'm going to suspect he had someone put it in JUST to strike down, personally. I mean, you can assassinate US citizens without trial, but he'd choke over locking them up? Doesn't exactly seem likely.

amy31416
11-29-2011, 09:01 PM
RAnd introduced a bill to strike the provision, the others only tinker with it. And had a fight (well, words) exchanged with McCain on the Senate floor over it today, as well.

I hope Obama does strike it down. He may, to reenergize his base, but he has been SO bad on this kind of stuff that if he does, I'm going to suspect he had someone put it in JUST to strike down, personally. I mean, you can assassinate US citizens without trial, but he'd choke over locking them up? Doesn't exactly seem likely.

Yep. Spot-on. But it makes a good talking point for the left to ignore all the other anti-civil liberty bullshit he's done since taking office.

eproxy100
11-29-2011, 09:29 PM
Talk is cheap. That's all Obama is - talk. I bet there won't be a veto.

Anti Federalist
11-29-2011, 09:37 PM
Ya'll have to go read why he's wanting to veto it.

It is not because all of a sudden he's become concerned about the lost rights of citizens.

It is because of a Fed power struggle.

The FBI, and god knows who else, in federal law enforcement is wheezing that it takes power away from them.

Broadly speaking, the detention provisions in this bill micromanage the work of our experienced counterterrorism professionals, including our military commanders, intelligence professionals, seasoned counterterrorism prosecutors, or other operatives in the field. These professionals have successfully led a Government-wide effort to disrupt, dismantle, and defeat al Qaeda and its affiliates and adherents over two consecutive Administrations. The Administration believes strongly that it would be a mistake for Congress to overrule or limit the tactical flexibility of our Nation's counterterrorism professionals.

These fucksticks don't care about anything other than who will get the chance to abuse us.

flightlesskiwi
11-29-2011, 09:50 PM
Ya'll have to go read why he's wanting to veto it.

It is not because all of a sudden he's become concerned about the lost rights of citizens.

It is because of a Fed power struggle.

The FBI, and god knows who else, in federal law enforcement is wheezing that it takes power away from them.

These fucksticks don't care about anything other than who will get the chance to abuse us.

i was thinking about this today for some reason.

i can't see the FBI, ATF, DEA, TSA, etc etc etc storming a house just in order to turn the captives over to the DoD. but that's pretty much what this bill does. the 3 letter agencies must be pissed.

edit: add the FDA and IRS to the above list. and whatever others i'm forgetting.

Aratus
11-29-2011, 09:54 PM

Ya know what? I would actually agree to those terms. :D

Omg please veto this trash.

if barack obama vetoes the damn thing i will not slam him at all over the holiday season, not unless he does something abysmal. i will wait until after the new year in the spirit of the season.