PDA

View Full Version : VA - Innocence is no defense for being put on sex offender registry.

Anti Federalist
11-29-2011, 03:23 PM
Innocence Is No Defense Against Virginia's Sex Offender Registry

Jacob Sullum | November 28, 2011

http://reason.com/blog/2011/11/28/innocence-is-no-defense-from-virginias-s

Five years ago, at the urging of his parents, who worried that he could be tried as an adult and receive a long prison sentence,15-year-old Edgar Coker Jr. pleaded guilty to raping a 14-year-old friend. Two months later, the girl admitted that the sex was consensual and that she had lied to avoid trouble with her father. The Washington Post reports that Coker nevertheless ended up serving 17 months in juvenile detention and is still listed as a violent sex offender by the state of Virginia:

Last month, Coker, now 20, was arrested during a Friday night football game at the Orange, Va., high school he graduated from after his release from juvenile prison. Unless they have permission from the school, convicted violent sex offenders are not permitted on school grounds. But Coker had received such permission, and he attended school there for more than a year before graduation....

The family has moved several times, twice because of complaints from neighbors who learned that Edgar Coker Jr. was on the registry. Once, a neighborhood girl made a false sexual allegation against one of his brothers, and someone else left this note on their door when they lived in Stafford County: “We don't want a rapist living in our neighborhood.”

Seeking to remove this stigma, Coker's family argues that his legal representation was inadequate. But as the Post notes, "Undoing what’s been done is difficult. Coker’s attorneys are aware of very few instances of a person’s name being removed from the state’s sex-offender registry."

Xenophage
11-29-2011, 03:31 PM
I lost my virginity when I was 14 to a girl who was two years my senior. I wonder which one of us the government would have considered raped the other one?

ZanZibar
11-29-2011, 03:56 PM
I lost my virginity when I was 14 thats sad

fisharmor
11-29-2011, 04:01 PM
thats sad

Of the range of emotions a 14-year-old would experience when having sex with an older girl, I imagine sadness is pretty far down on the list.

dannno
11-29-2011, 04:07 PM
thats sad

Hah, I would have rejoiced had I lost my virginity at 14.

DamianTV
11-29-2011, 05:22 PM
Due. Process. Of. Law.

This is Not.

ninepointfive
11-29-2011, 05:25 PM
Guilty until proven guilty. this is the system we live in these days.

VBRonPaulFan
11-29-2011, 05:29 PM
Of the range of emotions a 14-year-old would experience when having sex with an older girl, I imagine sadness is pretty far down on the list.

+1, i was in basically the exact same situation lol. i don't remember being sad at all....lol

phill4paul
11-29-2011, 06:33 PM
If this had been done to me I would be called 'a fatal statistic." To look at a lifetime lifetime of bullshit because of judicial chicanery? Yeah.

Humanae Libertas
11-29-2011, 06:43 PM
How is the sex-offender registry list even constitutional?

dannno
11-29-2011, 06:54 PM
How is the sex-offender registry list even constitutional?

I don't think it is. Although I'm sure some private alternatives could be setup, people wouldn't take them at their word like they do the state. They might actually question why some individuals are or are not on the list. State worshippers ass-ume the state is always right for some stupid reason, so you get these situations.

Anti Federalist
04-06-2012, 04:56 PM
////

SL89
04-06-2012, 05:09 PM
Oh, the death pangs of a dying republic. :( It hurts me so and I see no way to fix it. Not enough people are ready to stand up to state crimes and one man would just be an unheard of martyr. I am sure there plenty sitting in a cell somewhere that were never heard. How far we have fallen. :(

tttppp
04-06-2012, 05:11 PM
Couldn't he sue the girl who made the false claim for damages?

camp_steveo
04-06-2012, 06:37 PM
it's all about the money folks. if he had more money this would be off his record.

heavenlyboy34
04-06-2012, 06:42 PM
Oh, the death pangs of a dying republic. :( It hurts me so and I see no way to fix it. Not enough people are ready to stand up to state crimes and one man would just be an unheard of martyr. I am sure there plenty sitting in a cell somewhere that were never heard. How far we have fallen. :( It's been dead for a very long time (assuming the commonly accepted definition in 1790).

Pericles
04-06-2012, 06:43 PM
I'm lucky that I grew up when I did

thoughtomator
04-06-2012, 06:48 PM
"Off with his future!" cried the Red Queen.

tod evans
04-06-2012, 06:50 PM
I'm lucky that I grew up when I did

Me too!

Ludes were the consensual order of the day and nobody had heard of "roofies".

TheTexan
04-06-2012, 06:52 PM
Five years ago, at the urging of his parents, who worried that he could be tried as an adult and receive a long prison sentence,15-year-old Edgar Coker Jr. pleaded guilty to raping a 14-year-old friend. Two months later, the girl admitted that the sex was consensual and that she had lied to avoid trouble with her father. The Washington Post reports that Coker nevertheless ended up serving 17 months in juvenile detention and is still listed as a violent sex offender by the state of Virginia

Secession please

DamianTV
04-07-2012, 01:15 AM
I lost my virginity when I was 14 to a girl who was two years my senior. I wonder which one of us the government would have considered raped the other one?

Consentual Sex is no longer about the two individuals involved in the act. Think of it being a slightly lesser form of Marriage. You "need" (and I use that word "need" loosely) a License to get Married. Thus, it is NOT a binding contract between two consenting Adults. It IS a binding contract between the two consenting Adults AND THE STATE. That is what CONCENT means now-a-days.

It really wouldnt suprise me much if someone tried to come along and tried to mandate that you need a License to Spank the Monkey or to Flick the Bean in the Spam Purse because Self Satisfaction would require Concent between that individual and the STATE as well.

(The Definition of "State" in the usage of the context is not referring to any one of the several States of the United States, but the Government and their controlling entities as a generalized term.)