PDA

View Full Version : Can you help me out

gravesdav
06-15-2007, 04:24 PM
I got an email from a Libertarian asking about switching to the Republican Party to vote for Ron Paul. Can you help me answer his questions?

- How easy is it to switch party alignment? Are there any caveat
rules?
- How easy is it to switch back? Can I do either at any time, or must
their be delays between one or the other?
- What is the deadline for switching according to the bureaucracy such
that I am legally able to vote in a Republican primary?
- Can I switch back to Libertarian immediately after voting in
Republican primary, or do I have to hold the affiliation for a while?
- If I vote in the Republican primary, does this have any impact on my
November vote? (I assume no.)

Doesn't Ron Paul still hold a membership in the Libertarian Party as a Republican?

mdh
06-15-2007, 04:27 PM
All of these things are state/municipality specific.

joenaab
06-15-2007, 04:36 PM
It is definitely a state-by-state matter. In some states, you don't have to register republican to vote in the GOP primary.

Have him call GOP HQ at 202.225.5107 and get the phone number of the GOP office in his state, then make the call to get the details.

http://gop.gov/contact/

gravesdav
06-15-2007, 04:52 PM
Sorry, this is for NY. I know they unfortunately have closed primaries. Can you be registered Republican and Libertarian at the same time, I thought I heard Ron Paul was?

torchbearer
06-15-2007, 04:53 PM
Seems like you could get your answer by emailing the campaign.

angrydragon
06-15-2007, 05:07 PM
Sorry, this is for NY. I know they unfortunately have closed primaries. Can you be registered Republican and Libertarian at the same time, I thought I heard Ron Paul was?

I don't think so. Remember being libertarian isn't just a political party, it's more of ideas and having that mindset.

ronpaulitician
06-15-2007, 05:18 PM
New York City?

To Change your Party Affiliation (http://www.vote.nyc.ny.us/register.html)

You can change your party affiliation by obtaining a Voter Registration Form, indicating the change and sending it to the Board of Elections. We will process the information and send you a new voter card reflecting the change in party. You cannot CHANGE your enrollment and vote in the NEW PARTY of your choice in the same year. Please Note: a change of enrollment will go into affect one week following the General Election. The last day to change your enrollment is the same as the last day to register for the General Election (25 days prior to the date of the General Election).

What the?!

lynnf
06-15-2007, 05:20 PM
In Texas, we have open primaries. Anyone can vote in either the Democrat or Republican primary. At the poll, they stamp your voter card with the party name and you are then listed as being a member of that party until the next primary in two years when you get a new card without the stamped name and the process repeats.

lynn

guntherg16
06-15-2007, 05:37 PM
I got an email from a Libertarian asking about switching to the Republican Party to vote for Ron Paul. Can you help me answer his questions?

Doesn't Ron Paul still hold a membership in the Libertarian Party as a Republican?

In NY, party affiliation will not change until after the next general election. Therefor, a NY voter wishing to switch parties in order to vote in the '08 primary must get their form in before the '07 general election.

I found this out a couple of weeks ago. I filed my form and then received a letter informing me of the law.

here's a link to the FAQ page of the NYS Board of Elections. (LINK) (http://www.elections.state.ny.us/portal/page?_pageid=35,1,35_8534:35_8559&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL)

angrydragon
06-15-2007, 06:06 PM
New York of all places. Oy!

CJLauderdale4
06-15-2007, 06:44 PM
Florida is a "stop-and-swap party affilliation" State!! I just might switch, at least for a day or two...

Florida is a closed primary state. If you wish to register to vote in a partisan primary election, you must be a registered voter in the party for which the primary is being held. All registered voters, regardless of party affiliation, can vote on issues and non-partisan candidates.

No "same year" requirements...