PDA

View Full Version : My Conversation With an Iowa Voter (Phone From Home)

samsung1
11-29-2011, 09:13 AM
I spoke with nice guy named James for quite a while during my phone from home. He is politically savy especially with Iowa politics. He is still undecided but doesn't have a problem supporting Ron Paul if it came down to it. I just got the feeling that Ron isn't his first choice. Anyway he told me that he thinnks unless something crazy happens that Newt will probably sqeek out a win. He said this is why Romn is not going to try and make a push in Iowa to skim votes from Newt. Jim believes if newt wins Iowa he will take Romney out in NH. Romney's ideal scenario other since he won't win Iowa is to have Ron Paul win Iowa and Romney finish 2nd. Romney could tell his supporters to caucus for Paul to push him over the top in Iowa. They all do internal polling so Romney would know round a bout how many votes Ron Paul would need to beat Newt. Here's the other thing he said. If Ron Paul's voters show up and he wins Iowa, he believes Ron will win NH. In his arrogance Romney feels better going 1 on 1 with Ron Paul than Newt. He said we should be calling Romney supporters and form a temporary alliance at the caucus. He also said he thinks Santorum could finish 3rd in Iowa but he has no appeal outside of Iowa and maybe South carolina.... So basically what I got out of this is if Newt Wins Iowa he will pretty much win the nomination. Romney needs Ron Paul or for that matter he himself to finish ahead of Newt in Iowa.... Those of you in Iowa make nice with the Romney and Bachmann voters! We will need them at caucus night.

trey4sports
11-29-2011, 09:31 AM
personally, i don't think this fellow knows what he's talking about. Romney has just recently said he is going to make a push to compete in Iowa. Secondly, Newt will not take 1st in Iowa. Ron or Mittens will go negative and mortally wound Newt before Jan. 3rd.

LibertyEagle
11-29-2011, 09:36 AM
One thing is for sure. We do not need to be making voters for other candidates mad at us. If Ron is their 2nd choice, it is better than no choice at all. At this point, we have no idea who will be dropping out of the race. It also means we need delegates who will not deal and switch over to supporting someone else, like happened last time.

samsung1
11-29-2011, 09:43 AM
personally, i don't think this fellow knows what he's talking about. Romney has just recently said he is going to make a push to compete in Iowa. Secondly, Newt will not take 1st in Iowa. Ron or Mittens will go negative and mortally wound Newt before Jan. 3rd.

If Romney truly thinks he could win Iowa he would make a better effort for Iowa. This so called push to compete in Iowa is to stop Newt from winning. Romney wants to be president so bad that he wil do anything and that includes helping Ron Paul if he sees Ron as the best chance to prevent Newt from winning. If Newt hasn't dropped in the polls by Mid December then it probably won't happen. Next 2 weeks are so important.

RonPaul101.com
11-29-2011, 09:46 AM
I agree that I do not think this voters assessment is accurate, but I personally would prefer Newt over Mitt for the status quo candidate, since I think Newt will be easily proven dishonest. That said, I don't think Newt will still be riding high come January.

bluesc
11-29-2011, 09:47 AM
Romney is already setting up a general election campaign, and has good organization in Iowa. He is making a push. If this armchair pundit thinks that after Ron wins Iowa AND NH, that Romney would have the nomination locked up, he is wrong. Romney has been campaigning in NH since '07. He needs it, and it is very unlikely that Ron will win there.

djruden
11-29-2011, 09:53 AM
Des Moines register in Iowa is already starting to run stories of their own that bash Newt:
http://caucuses.desmoinesregister.com/2011/11/29/examples-of-gingrich-comments-in-favor-of-federally-funded-abortion-stem-cell-research/

He's just the next flavor of the month. People like him becaue he has been somewhat charismatic at speeches and debates but when you look at the substance, it's pretty awful.

bluesc
11-29-2011, 09:56 AM
Des Moines register in Iowa is already starting to run stories of their own that bash Newt:
http://caucuses.desmoinesregister.com/2011/11/29/examples-of-gingrich-comments-in-favor-of-federally-funded-abortion-stem-cell-research/

He's just the next flavor of the month. People like him becaue he has been somewhat charismatic at speeches and debates but when you look at the substance, it's pretty awful.

That was a pretty weak "bashing". I still think they are going to endorse him.

fearthereaperx
11-29-2011, 10:06 AM
I spoke with nice guy named James for quite a while during my phone from home. He is politically savy especially with Iowa politics. He is still undecided but doesn't have a problem supporting Ron Paul if it came down to it. I just got the feeling that Ron isn't his first choice. Anyway he told me that he thinnks unless something crazy happens that Newt will probably sqeek out a win. He said this is why Romn is not going to try and make a push in Iowa to skim votes from Newt. Jim believes if newt wins Iowa he will take Romney out in NH. Romney's ideal scenario other since he won't win Iowa is to have Ron Paul win Iowa and Romney finish 2nd. Romney could tell his supporters to caucus for Paul to push him over the top in Iowa. They all do internal polling so Romney would know round a bout how many votes Ron Paul would need to beat Newt. Here's the other thing he said. If Ron Paul's voters show up and he wins Iowa, he believes Ron will win NH. In his arrogance Romney feels better going 1 on 1 with Ron Paul than Newt. He said we should be calling Romney supporters and form a temporary alliance at the caucus. He also said he thinks Santorum could finish 3rd in Iowa but he has no appeal outside of Iowa and maybe South carolina.... So basically what I got out of this is if Newt Wins Iowa he will pretty much win the nomination. Romney needs Ron Paul or for that matter he himself to finish ahead of Newt in Iowa.... Those of you in Iowa make nice with the Romney and Bachmann voters! We will need them at caucus night.

This makes sense. Romney can actually compete against Ron in SC and FL. If Newt takes Iowa, he will take down SC and FL for sure. So, it might actually benefit us to get Romney supporters to vote for us in Iowa to put us over the top. Quid pro Quo.