PDA

View Full Version : American Airlines files Ch11 Bankruptcy; blames union costs and gas prices for debt load

devil21
11-29-2011, 06:58 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/american-airlines-files-ch-11-protection-121334826.html

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) — American Airlines' parent company is seeking Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection as it seeks to unload massive debt built up by years of accelerating jet fuel prices and labor struggles. more at link

DamianTV
11-29-2011, 07:37 AM
Maybe they should change their name to Government Airlines, they might have better luck, nobody is buying American because we dont make shit, and apparently nobody is flying American either. Well, not enough to save them from Ch11 anyway...

Lambfarm
11-29-2011, 10:25 AM
American Airlines has some 700 or more widebody planes and I read reports 4 months back that AA had ordered 400 more planes.

But American Airlines FILES BANKRUPTCY IN NEW YORK

What is going on under Obama's false rule

donnay
11-29-2011, 10:32 AM
It has everything to do with people boycotting the airlines, because they would rather not be molested! :mad:

The airlines ought to have a backbone and tell government to butt-out of their business!

DamianTV
11-29-2011, 04:06 PM
If companies want customers, they have to provide a better service than their competitors.

In this case, the Government influence on EVERYTHING, the TSA, Price of Fuel, Naked Body Scanners, all of that is used as an Excuse and Opportunity to deprive people of their Dignity. But to only single out one Airline would be unfair, but they do it to everyone. Well all Airlines anyway. They overcharge you for everything. You have 27 connecting flights on a 2 hour flights with hours of layovers, cram you in like a sardine during an Obesity Epidemic, lose your luggage, and make you out to be the Problem of the Company, not their Customer!

So what are they doing wrong? They failed to realize they do have competition. The CAR! A few years ago, I tried to book a flight for me and my GF at the time from Reno to LA, 2 hour direct flight, but good luck getting one of those. I would have had 2 layovers, and the total trip time would have taken me 14 hours. Oh yeah, and we smoke. Cant do that on an airplane. Turned out it was FASTER and CHEAPER to DRIVE. No luggage fees, I can smoke. I can piss when I want. I can listen to the music I want. I can turn up the heat or the air conditioner. I can do what I want, when I want, where I want. I can drive straight thru or change my mind mid drive and stop and smell the roses. Everything that I decided was that it was more convenient to DRIVE instead of FLY.

coastie
11-29-2011, 04:38 PM
^that

I have not been with 1000 ft of a plane since 2004, and will NEVER get on one again.

(flight almost crashed-twice).

I enjoy road trips, and put 60k on my car on year driving around the country.

Yeah sure, I may be more likely to get in a wreck driving a car, I have a much better chance of surviving said wreck, than say hitting the ground at 500 mph in an aluminum fuel tank.

oyarde
11-30-2011, 12:13 PM
OK , I will play along , what happens to the pension funds in chapter 11 ??