PDA

View Full Version : Connie Mack IV Running for Florida Senate Seat

whoisjohngalt
11-28-2011, 11:49 PM
I saw him officially announce that he was going to run on Hannity tonight. Was wondering what the forums thought about this guy, especially any Floridians with an opinion. I'm pretty sure he is terrible on foreign policy, but he seems to be strong on fiscal issues. He is a big proponent of the "penny plan" that Rand is always talking about and has spent a lot of time pushing for a balanced budget. He also pushed back on Bush's encroachment on civil liberties and was an outspoken supporter of WikiLeaks. To me it seems like he would be a significant improvement over Nelson, but I wouldn't call him a true friend of liberty either. What do you guys think?

realtonygoodwin
11-28-2011, 11:53 PM
I wondered the same thing a few months ago, but didn't get much of a response.

Immortal Technique
11-28-2011, 11:53 PM
The penny plan aint bad

here is your vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJgZjV5X2bE

BattleFlag1776
11-28-2011, 11:55 PM
Like you, I think he is an improvement over Nelson.

mport1
11-28-2011, 11:58 PM
Don't give him your support. He endorsed Romney twice.

Revolution9
11-28-2011, 11:59 PM
Is he a quasi gubmnt dept like Freddie Mac, Fannie May and Sally Ann? Government mortgaging of bribery perhaps?

Rev9

whoisjohngalt
11-29-2011, 12:04 AM

Well if there is no one who endorsed Ron and reflects his actions in this race, I'm not above considering the lesser of two evils in a situation like this. Again, I realize he is no true friend of liberty and is not a long term solution, but what I really want to know is if he can be counted on to work towards a more competent fiscal policy or if he is going to become an establishment politician in the Senate.

revgen
11-29-2011, 12:18 AM
According to the John Birch Society (traditional constitutional conservatives), Mack has a perfect rating in the August 2011 Voting Index, which is the same as Rand Paul, Ron Paul, Mike Lee, and Justin Amash. While he's not exactly a Campaign for Liberty member, and his endorsement of Romney raises eyebrows, his voting record looks solid. He may not be perfect, but his record is certainly better than Nelson.

You download the JBS August 2011 voting index here. http://www.jbs.org/index.php?option=com_rokdownloads&view=file&Itemid=259&id=192%3Afreedom-index-august-2011

ZanZibar
11-29-2011, 09:30 AM
According to the John Birch Society (traditional constitutional conservatives), Mack has a perfect rating in the August 2011 Voting Index, which is the same as Rand Paul, Ron Paul, Mike Lee, and Justin Amash. While he's not exactly a Campaign for Liberty member, and his endorsement of Romney raises eyebrows, his voting record looks solid. He may not be perfect, but his record is certainly better than Nelson.

You download the JBS August 2011 voting index here. http://www.jbs.org/index.php?option=com_rokdownloads&view=file&Itemid=259&id=192%3Afreedom-index-august-2011Yeah, but he has also been planning to run for Senate for a while. You should go back for the last decade and check his voting record then. Just sayin'

PastaRocket848
11-29-2011, 09:32 AM

...and his opponent is Bill Nelson. don't let perfection be the enemy of progress.

ZanZibar
11-29-2011, 09:43 AM
...and his opponent is Bill Nelson. don't let perfection be the enemy of progress.A bad Republican is worse than a bad Democrat.

But is Connie Mack a bad Republican or not? That's the question which can only be answered by examination of his career-long voting record.

Elwar
11-29-2011, 09:46 AM
I think Jimmy Wales would probably be better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Wales

kylejack
11-29-2011, 09:47 AM
How does he feel about eternal war?

ronpaulfollower999
11-29-2011, 10:54 AM
I think Jimmy Wales would probably be better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Wales

Oh...he looks real good. Any chance he runs or am I stuck writing in none of the above?

Elwar
11-29-2011, 11:00 AM
Oh...he looks real good. Any chance he runs or am I stuck writing in none of the above?

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?283328-Jimmy-Wales-in-January-quot-Should-I-run-for-Senate-to-sort-these-idiots-out-quot&highlight=jimmy+wales

PastaRocket848
11-29-2011, 11:02 AM
no republican is worse than Bill Nelson. well, i'm sure there are a few, but you'd be hard pressed to find one.

revgen
11-30-2011, 04:13 AM
Yeah, but he has also been planning to run for Senate for a while. You should go back for the last decade and check his voting record then. Just sayin'

He first came to congress in 2005. And you are right, he wasn't exactly a "constitutional conservative" when he first came in. He had a 50% rating in 2005-2006. However his rating from JBS has gone up gradually since then. In 2007-2008 it registered between 60% to 70%. In 2009-2010 it registered between 80% to 90%. And in the latest August 2011 ratings, it's now 100%.

Basically his stances on the issues seem to change as he's gotten more experience. Why? Hard to say. In any case, he's not exactly what I'd call a hard-core neo-con. If somebody in Florida can interview him and find out why his positions have changed over the past 6 years, and he gives honest answers, then it might help to get a better idea.

whoisjohngalt
11-30-2011, 08:18 AM
Just the fact that he voted against the Patriot Act extension and was such an outspoken support of WikiLeaks gives me reason to believe that he isn't your typical neocon. On top of that, I'm usually willing to stomach awful foreign policy views when someone is running for Congress, as opposed to president where it is my number one issue. There may be some hope for this guy. I understand he looks awful to absolutists, but I'm in the "any improvement" camp. The more I find out, the more I'm hoping he takes down Nelson.

Slutter McGee
11-30-2011, 08:25 AM
Just the fact that he voted against the Patriot Act extension and was such an outspoken support of WikiLeaks gives me reason to believe that he isn't your typical neocon. On top of that, I'm usually willing to stomach awful foreign policy views when someone is running for Congress, as opposed to president where it is my number one issue. There may be some hope for this guy. I understand he looks awful to absolutists, but I'm in the "any improvement" camp. The more I find out, the more I'm hoping he takes down Nelson.

Sounds like he belongs in the occasional friend to liberty camp with DeMint. And I will take another one of those guys. Yall know the statement don't the perfect be the enemy of the good. Maybe we should revise that, especially with this being Florida. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the better than what we currently have.

Sincerley,

Slutter McGee

ZanZibar
11-30-2011, 09:25 AM
Basically his stances on the issues seem to change as he's gotten more experience. Why? Hard to say. In any case, he's not exactly what I'd call a hard-core neo-con. If somebody in Florida can interview him and find out why his positions have changed over the past 6 years, and he gives honest answers, then it might help to get a better idea.The cynic in me says "political winds".

JK/SEA
11-30-2011, 10:40 AM
Screw Mack. I'm on a mission to punish the GOP. I have my litmus tests and you have yours.