PDA

View Full Version : Kinect 2.0 Will Reportedly Be Able To Read Lips

DamianTV
11-28-2011, 03:39 PM
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/327628/kinect-2-will-reportedly-be-able-to-lip-read/

Microsoft is to release a second generation Kinect device that's advanced enough to lip read.

That's according to Eurogamer, which claims Kinect 2 will come bundled with future Xbox consoles.

As well as improved motion sensing and voice recognition, a development source told the site that the new Kinect will be able to measure different emotional states by tracking the pitch and volume of users' voices and facial characteristics.

A report claimed last week that Microsoft is likely to pursue a two SKU strategy for its next Xbox console.

It said the company will offer a "pared down system to be released as cheaply as possible" and a high-end model, both of which are expected to arrive with significantly upgraded Kinect devices.

Microsoft said earlier this month that Kinect for Windows, the official and commercial development tool kit, will be released in early 2012.

What about a woman with serious camel toe, will it pick that up by mistake?

(from the Comments secton)

The first Kinect was creepy enough. And, it sends shitloads of "anonymous data" back to MicroSoft. Can this get any creepier?

Sola_Fide
11-28-2011, 03:48 PM
http://www.praguemonitor.cz/hal9000.jpg

(lets see if anyone will get this reference)

Kludge
11-28-2011, 03:55 PM
No way. The Kinect can barely track body movements. Believe when I see.

Edit: FWIW, though, this is a popular technology. They use it for voice recognition software. It dramatically improves accuracy. It's possible, but when expensive high-tech devices are used for reading lips, they're very close to the user and function best when the user doesn't move.

amy31416
11-28-2011, 03:56 PM
http://www.praguemonitor.cz/hal9000.jpg

David? Where are you?

It's been a while since I saw the movie...hopefully I got that right.

123tim
11-28-2011, 03:59 PM

I think that I got it, but I cheated. I'll pm you the answer so that I don't ruin your fun.

Sola_Fide
11-28-2011, 04:02 PM
David? Where are you?

It's been a while since I saw the movie...hopefully I got that right.

Bingo.

123tim
11-28-2011, 04:05 PM
Bingo.

That Amy is one sharp cookie. :)

ShaneEnochs
11-28-2011, 04:06 PM
That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal. Can you hold it a bit closer? That's Dr. Hunter, isn't it?

DamianTV
11-28-2011, 04:07 PM
The point of the post was to show how much disregard companies have for personal privacy in peoples home. But what was worse for me was people eat this shit up because it has "sprinkles" on top! A turd by any other name is still a piece of shit.

Sola_Fide
11-28-2011, 04:09 PM

You pm'd me at the same time so I think it was a tie.

123tim
11-28-2011, 04:11 PM
I watched a documentary a while back where cutting edge software was used to put the actual words to what Hitler was saying in his silent home movies....
I wonder if it has been implemented in this?

123tim
11-28-2011, 04:13 PM
You pm'd me at the same time so I think it was a tie.
Not really. :) I cheated by searching for the image using TinEye ( a program that searches for similar images.)
I never actually saw the movie, and I probably wouldn't have the brain capacity to remember where I saw it (if I did).

Cheaters never win in the end.

DamianTV
11-28-2011, 04:14 PM

I wish my Lawn were as Sharp as Amy, and Emo, so it would cut itself.

Lothario
11-28-2011, 04:19 PM
I find this to be pretty awesome, can't wait for the new console. As long as Microsoft doesn't assemble an army or violate the NAP, I'm cool with it.

BamaAla
11-28-2011, 04:20 PM
No way. The Kinect can barely track body movements. Believe when I see.

Edit: FWIW, though, this is a popular technology. They use it for voice recognition software. It dramatically improves accuracy. It's possible, but when expensive high-tech devices are used for reading lips, they're very close to the user and function best when the user doesn't move.

+1

Mine can barely pick up my sweet dance moves; I truly doubt it will read lips anytime soon, but that doesn't mean they won't advertise it that way.

Created4
11-28-2011, 04:36 PM
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/327628/kinect-2-will-reportedly-be-able-to-lip-read/

The first Kinect was creepy enough. And, it sends shitloads of "anonymous data" back to MicroSoft. Can this get any creepier?

Just don't plug it into your network. The Xbox with Kinect can run just between your box and TV. You don't have to use their online service (we don't).

Kludge
11-28-2011, 05:14 PM
Just don't plug it into your network. The Xbox with Kinect can run just between your box and TV. You don't have to use their online service (we don't).
.... For now! ... Fucking Blizzard. ಠ_ಠ :(

ghengis86
11-28-2011, 05:20 PM
HAL 9000?

I cannot let you do that Dave

Original_Intent
11-28-2011, 05:30 PM
Daisy, Da..i.....zzzzzzzzzzz..........eeeeeeeeee......... ................

ShaneEnochs
11-28-2011, 05:31 PM
Not really. :) I cheated by searching for the image using TinEye ( a program that searches for similar images.)
I never actually saw the movie, and I probably wouldn't have the brain capacity to remember where I saw it (if I did).

Cheaters never win in the end.

A lot of people loved the movie. I didn't. I thought it was boring as all get out, and I usually love space fiction.

Sola_Fide
11-28-2011, 05:35 PM
A lot of people loved the movie. I didn't. I thought it was boring as all get out, and I usually love space fiction.

I liked the movie for its philosophical implications. Kubrick was trying to express existentialism (man as a process of becoming) in the film. It was a glimpse into the worldview of the 60's. Of course I disagree with all of it, but it was cleverly expressed nonetheless.

Feeding the Abscess
11-28-2011, 05:40 PM
Anyone familiar with gaming knows Kinect was completely overhyped, and eventually shipped with almost none of the features talked about during development.

QueenB4Liberty
11-28-2011, 05:45 PM
I like my Kinect, I just got it last week.

Zippyjuan
11-28-2011, 05:46 PM
This scene perhaps. It's me, Dave. Let me in Hal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkyUMmNl4hk

Cheech and Chong's take with Tommy Chong as Hal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oUfqJx-v0w

DamianTV
11-28-2011, 07:30 PM
I like my Kinect, I just got it last week.

Did you check your Privacy Settings? Apparently, there is some stuff that is enabled by default that sends "ambient noise" back to MicroSoft so they can "better serve your needs". You might want to dig around in your console settings just to find out what the Kinect 1.0 does with your Privacy. And I mean Privacy that you should be able to expect in the Privacy of your own Home.

Becker
11-28-2011, 07:47 PM
good, because I'm sick of this stuff
http://badlipreading.tumblr.com/