PDA

View Full Version : PA - Police dog attacks and injures 8 year old boy in his own yard.

Anti Federalist
11-28-2011, 02:50 PM
And we all know what would happen if it was a Mundane's dog attacking a cop.

Police defend K-9 in attack on 8-year-old

Published: Sun, November 27, 2011 @ 12:05 a.m.

http://www.vindy.com/news/2011/nov/27/police-defend-k--in-attack-on--year-old/

Police say the Friday attack of the department’s police dog, Storm, on an 8-year-old boy was an unfortunate accident, but Storm has done much more good than bad during his time with the department.

The boy, Patrick Assion, was visiting his grandmother’s house in Campbell and playing hide-and-seek with his cousin in the backyard when Storm took hold of Patrick’s arm and dragged him to the ground.

The incident left the boy three physical reminders of the attack: a red mark on his arm, a T-shirt full of holes and a torn-up sweat shirt.

An off-duty Campbell police officer was walking Storm and allowed the dog to go to the bathroom in a fenced-in area. But the dog saw the boy and ran after him, apparently mistaking a running boy for a suspect.

“When I turned my head, it already got snatched onto my arm and threw me down to the ground and started ripping my jacket,” the boy told 21 WFMJ-TV, The Vindicator’s broadcast partner.

“I heard my cousin Patrick scream, and so I ran around the house and I saw the dog tearing up his coat,” Ali Darwish said.

Campbell Police Sgt. John Rusnak said a police dog can’t differentiate between a playing boy and a crime suspect.

“Anything running, they’re trained ... could be a potential threat. And all he’s doing is reacting and doing what he was trained to do,” Rusnak told WFMJ.

The boy’s mother, Angel Assion, faults the officer for not keeping the dog under better control.

“I don’t want that dog to be ever around again,” she said. “Certainly he should never be off of his leash and not under control 100 percent of the time.”

“He has caught three armed robbers. He has located numerous amounts of drugs. He has tracked down suspects. He’s been a vital, vital part of our police department,” Rusnak said of the dog’s history.

Anti Federalist
11-28-2011, 02:54 PM
Damn it...wrong forum, mods move to GP please, thanks.

Krugerrand
11-28-2011, 02:54 PM
I hope that kid was charged with interfering with a law officer or some other equally worth while charge. :rolleyes:

Restore America Now
11-28-2011, 02:57 PM
Even the K-9 units are corrupt now! :eek:

specsaregood
11-28-2011, 03:03 PM
wait a second... so this guy was casually strolling down the street and over other's private property with a known dangerous animal off leash in an area where kids are known to play? Am I understanding this correctly?

BattleFlag1776
11-28-2011, 03:03 PM
Campbell Police Sgt. John Rusnak said a police dog can’t differentiate between a playing boy and a crime suspect.

“Anything running, they’re trained ... could be a potential threat. And all he’s doing is reacting and doing what he was trained to do,” Rusnak told WFMJ.

Sgt. Rusnak is wrong! The dog is supposed to be trained to respond to vocal commands first, second and last. It's the owner's job (cop) to differentiate for the dog so this crap does not happen.

ShaneEnochs
11-28-2011, 03:07 PM
So... the cop let an attack dog off of it's leash in a neighborhood... yeah, can't see where that might go wrong.

I'm surprised that the boy only had a "red mark" on his arm. Are the dogs trained to not puncture skin?

Merk
11-28-2011, 03:08 PM
Out where I live, if a person's dog went running into someone else's fenced yard and bit someone (especially a little kid), there is a very good chance the dog would be dead by a Sheriff's bullet, if the property owner didn't do it first.

Cop is lucky he didn't get shot too, "The home owner couldn't differentiate between whether it was an off duty police officer letting his dog take a dump in his fenced private property or a dangerous criminal assaulting his children."

NewRightLibertarian
11-28-2011, 03:08 PM
hey, ya gotta crack a few 8 year old eggs to make an omelet!

specsaregood
11-28-2011, 03:10 PM

Sounds like a great argument to cease the practice of using these dogs then.

Anti Federalist
11-28-2011, 03:11 PM
wait a second... so this guy was casually strolling down the street and over other's private property with a known dangerous animal off leash in an area where kids are known to play? Am I understanding this correctly?

From what I understand, yes.

He was walking the dog off the leash, let the dog go onto the boy's yard to take a shit (that's bad enough right there) and the dog saw him running around playing and attacked him.

Schiff_FTW
11-28-2011, 03:15 PM

It sounds like he released the dog to go take a crap in someone else's yard. Which is definitely uncouth if not illegal.

specsaregood
11-28-2011, 03:24 PM
From what I understand, yes.

He was walking the dog off the leash, let the dog go onto the boy's yard to take a shit (that's bad enough right there) and the dog saw him running around playing and attacked him.

And why isn't this guy charged with a crime then? I just tossed hand grenades into people's yards I doubt I'd walk away scott-free...

Anti Federalist
11-28-2011, 03:29 PM
And why isn't this guy charged with a crime then? I just tossed hand grenades into people's yards I doubt I'd walk away scott-free...

I'm looking for, but have yet to find the /s/.

fisharmor
11-28-2011, 03:31 PM

Hey, we got it in writing!
They admit that their officers aren't any smarter than dogs!

specsaregood
11-28-2011, 03:35 PM
I'm looking for, but have yet to find the /s/.

I was just setting you up with the hanging softball..

jkr
11-28-2011, 03:43 PM
kill
that
FUCKING
dog
now
!

brushfire
11-28-2011, 03:44 PM
Any hands on who here would have shot the dog?

I wonder if I would be charged with killing a police officer after snuffing out the f'n K9, while it was attacking my kid, on my property. Hmmm...

fisharmor
11-28-2011, 03:48 PM

I wonder if I would be charged with killing a police officer after snuffing out the f'n K9, while it was attacking my kid, on my property. Hmmm...

Here.
If it was after the fact, I would have calmly informed the officer that the dog is dangerous, and if it is seen on my property before my being served a warrant, it will die.

And yes, we would be charged.

ShaneEnochs
11-28-2011, 04:01 PM
I wonder if castle law applies to police dogs...

Anti Federalist
11-28-2011, 04:02 PM
Here.
If it was after the fact, I would have calmly informed the officer that the dog is dangerous, and if it is seen on my property before my being served a warrant, it will die.

And yes, we would be charged.

You would have shot the dog, and then the cop would have shot you.

phill4paul
11-28-2011, 04:41 PM
Storm, on an 8-year-old boy was an unfortunate accident, but Storm has done much more good than bad during his time with the department.

That's the same re-cycled tripe that is used in every instance that regards human LEO's. Smack on the snout and some kibbles for that mutt.

coastie
11-28-2011, 04:55 PM
That's the same re-cycled tripe that is used in every instance that regards human LEO's. Smack on the snout and some kibbles for that mutt.

Yeah, I bet plenty of families out there remember their dogs in the same way, right up unto the point they were killed by armed public servant invaders...

Pull that shit in my neighborhood, and the dog would be a plaque on their wall.

Related in my area, but a couple of years old:

"The Panama City Beach Police Department’s Belgian Malinois K9, “Poncho,” went missing Friday after chasing three burglary suspects out of a woods near North Beach Way. A weekend search included several tracking dogs and a Bay County Sheriff’s Office helicopter, but no sign of Poncho could be found. The suspects deny harming Poncho, police said".

Read more: http://www.newsherald.com/articles/police-75763-beach-search.html#ixzz1f2kyHCy3

It was not far from where I live this dog got loose-and he has never been found to date.:eek:

Nirvikalpa
11-28-2011, 05:07 PM
Moved to GP...

So aggravating. Now if it were someone's guard dog going after a cop trespassing... but oh, it's what they're "trained to do." That excuse doesn't seem to fly with those who aren't thugs with guns, aka cops. :mad:

Icymudpuppy
11-28-2011, 05:35 PM

I'd have shot the dog.

heavenlyboy34
11-28-2011, 05:39 PM
Kid should be thankful. He got to keep his jugular. /s

DamianTV
11-28-2011, 07:53 PM
You would have shot the dog, and then the cop would have shot you.

I wouldnt shoot the dog if it was still on his property, mostly because I wouldnt be stupid enough to go onto said property without permission of the property owner, cop or not. However, if this dog attacked me off property, totally different ball game, and I'd be shooting at the cop too if he decided to fire at me. You can not deprive someone of the Right to protect themselves from ANY aggressor, and in this case, I agree that the cop would have probably opened fire, guess what, that falls into the same category, the Right to Protect Ones Self.

McDermit
11-28-2011, 09:10 PM
That cop shouldn't be permitted to handle a police dog ever again, and the dog should not be kept on the force unless some serious retraining is done.

Someone already said it, but the dog should be trained to pursue only on command. If it's prey drive is so high that inhibition training is impossible, it should NEVER be left off leash. This dog either never should have graduated k9 training or the handler has seriously neglected to continue training/reinforcing.

DamianTV
11-29-2011, 03:13 AM
If we have no measure of control over our Corrupt Police, what makes anyone think that the Corrupt Police will try to instill any measure of control over their Dogs?