PDA

View Full Version : Help Getting to Iowa

laurenforliberty
11-28-2011, 02:41 PM
Hello, my name is Lauren and I am one of several youths that have been selected to attend the Christmas Vacation with Ron Paul in Iowa! I am very excited to go but flights are expensive and I'm looking to friends, family, and supporters for any kind of help. So I've put together a ChipIn account to try to raise money. I'm sure that no one wants to invest their money in someone they know nothing about so here's a little bio:

I was born and raised in Texas in a Christian environment. I spent my childhood always trying to do something to better the environment and social situations of those around me and I've won city awards for these efforts as well as one national award. When I was 14 I stumbled upon some information on Ron Paul and I felt a true sense of hope for our nation to turn around and get back on its feet, and since then I've been supporting him fully. I am an officer on the Belmont Students for Ron Paul page on Facebook, I am starting the Belmont University chapter for Ron Paul, I always donate what I can to the campaign, and I am a member of the Middle-Tennessee Meet-Up group. As a theatre and political science major I have great skills in persuading others while actually understanding what I'm talking about and I have extreme determination. This opportunity is something that I absolutely can not pass up, but my parents can't afford to pay for three kids in school and then send me off to Iowa during Christmas, so it is all on me. I'm trying to raise $400 to cover the cost of my flights, I'll have enough of my own money raised from selling crafts to pay for my luggage and the extra fees. I appreciate anything anyone can give, $1's are awesome!

Anything, even just verbal support, will help! Thank you. http://laurenmims.chipin.com/christmas-vacation-with-ron-paul-in-iowa

Matt Davidson
11-28-2011, 02:54 PM
Where will you be on Dec 26th? Where do you need to be on Jan 5th?

I will likely be driving from Jasper, AL to Iowa on Dec 26th and from Iowa to Houston, TX on Jan 5th (if I am "selected").

Other rideshare opportunities will pop up... We should start a thread now.

Matt

PS How did you answer the questions about 9/11 and marijuana on the application???

tsai3904
11-28-2011, 03:00 PM
Just chipped in $10.

Have you posted this at DailyPaul?

pauliticalfan
11-28-2011, 03:11 PM
Where will you be on Dec 26th? Where do you need to be on Jan 5th?

I will likely be driving from Jasper, AL to Iowa on Dec 26th and from Iowa to Houston, TX on Jan 5th (if I am "selected").

Other rideshare opportunities will pop up... We should start a thread now.

Matt

PS How did you answer the questions about 9/11 and marijuana on the application???

I haven't gotten in yet, but I assumed those questions were to weed out the pot heads and 9/11 truthers.

Matt Davidson
11-28-2011, 03:17 PM
I haven't gotten in yet, but I assumed those questions were to weed out the pot heads and 9/11 truthers.

lol those rascally truthers... How did you answer the questions paulitical? I selected "indifferent" to both. I'm not sure if I want to attend if they're weeding people out on this basis...

Matt

laurenforliberty
11-28-2011, 03:18 PM
I'm going to be in Dallas and then fly to Nashville. My spring semester actually starts on January 3rd, so I'll be missing two days of school for this.

On the marijuana question I answered that I strongly agreed it should be legal. I don't recall a 9/11 one, unless you're taking about the question of whether or not we should invade unconstituationally, which in that case I strongly disagreed.

laurenforliberty
11-28-2011, 03:23 PM
Just chipped in $10.

Have you posted this at DailyPaul?

I have not, but do you think I should?
Also, thank you so much for donating! I appreciate it greatly and I won't let you down! I'm even trying to keep up with this thread from my phone before my American Government class, I'm so grateful.

tsai3904
11-28-2011, 03:29 PM
I have not, but do you think I should?
Also, thank you so much for donating! I appreciate it greatly and I won't let you down! I'm even trying to keep up with this thread from my phone before my American Government class, I'm so grateful.

Yes you should make a post at DailyPaul. There's a lot of supporters there who don't visit these forums.

pauliticalfan
11-28-2011, 03:46 PM
lol those rascally truthers... How did you answer the questions paulitical? I selected "indifferent" to both. I'm not sure if I want to attend if they're weeding people out on this basis...

Matt

Indifferent for legalization of recreational (notice not medicinal) marijuana. While the federal government should get out of the issue altogether, the states should be able to decide one way or the other.

Strongly agreed for al Qaeda carrying out 9/11. This is consistent with believing in blowback and the effects of not following a non-interventionist foreign policy.

Honestly, I have no idea what they're using the issues questions for. Just guessing. I'm sure that anyone who wants to volunteer is going to be considered regardless of what they believe. After all, Ron Paul is all about freedom and that includes the freedom to believe what you want.

ionlyknowy
11-28-2011, 04:02 PM
I live in Dallas and planned on driving to Iowa. I haven't been accepted yet though. Was friended on fb the morning after I submitted my application by the Iowa campaign manager. So we can car pool along with any others in Texas if you guys want. Splitting the gas cost 4 or more ways is very attractive to me at this point.

Carole
11-28-2011, 04:06 PM
Have you been youth for ron paul on facebook. Some are trying to link up to carpool or whatever to get to Iowa. :)

laurenforliberty
11-28-2011, 04:33 PM
I guess I'll post this on there then! Thank you.

I know that over 730 people applied and they're trying to expand the number of volunteers they can take. I would carpool from Dallas but my mother is very worried about me being in a car if the weather is anything like it was last year.
Also, just a side note, I don't support the use of drugs or alcohol. I just see how ending the war on drugs and instead taxing it will help the country economically greatly.

IterTemporis
11-28-2011, 04:40 PM
Good luck. I got accepted to Iowa, but I will not be going because I do not have enough money, and today is the deadline.

laurenforliberty
11-28-2011, 04:52 PM
I am on the youth for Ron Paul group! And thank you, I'm so sorry you can't go. Is the deadline for NH today too?

IterTemporis
11-28-2011, 05:04 PM
I am on the youth for Ron Paul group! And thank you, I'm so sorry you can't go. Is the deadline for NH today too?

It should tell you in your acceptance e-mail.

laurenforliberty
11-28-2011, 06:46 PM
It might, but I have no intention of going to NH so I probably didn't make note of it.

seyferjm
11-28-2011, 08:19 PM
GL with everything! I'm driving with friends from Cincinnati.

laurenforliberty
11-28-2011, 10:09 PM
Thanks! And good luck to you as well! They've put together a page on Facebook where we can all chat and what not! :)

ionlyknowy
11-28-2011, 11:35 PM
Thanks! And good luck to you as well! They've put together a page on Facebook where we can all chat and what not! :)

Hey how do you get to the FB page where all of you are chatting... I'm kind of a FB noob, I don't use it very much. Just got the go ahead to attend the GOTV effort in Iowa. I want a place to post to offer my vehicle for car pooling from the DFW area. And OMG I'm soooo excited!!!!

Revolution9
11-29-2011, 01:23 AM
Wow Lauren. You sound like a real go getter. I hope you have alot of fun and gain alot of knowledge on your trip.

Rev9

Keith and stuff
11-29-2011, 01:57 AM
I would carpool from Dallas but my mother is very worried about me being in a car if the weather is anything like it was last year.

Don't tell her how bad the weather is going to be in IA :)

qh4dotcom
11-29-2011, 04:57 AM
I just chipped in....good luck Lauren...and thanks for supporting the good doctor and all that you do for Liberty.

laurenforliberty
11-29-2011, 01:15 PM
Hey how do you get to the FB page where all of you are chatting... I'm kind of a FB noob, I don't use it very much. Just got the go ahead to attend the GOTV effort in Iowa. I want a place to post to offer my vehicle for car pooling from the DFW area. And OMG I'm soooo excited!!!!
Just follow this link and it'll take you directly to it! :) https://www.facebook.com/events/162095663886413/

Wow Lauren. You sound like a real go getter. I hope you have alot of fun and gain alot of knowledge on your trip.

Rev9

Thanks so much! I bet I'll have a great time, I'm incredibly excited.

Haha, fortunately I like to lead in Dr. Paul's footsteps and not lie about things. :)

I just chipped in....good luck Lauren...and thanks for supporting the good doctor and all that you do for Liberty.

Thank you so much! I'm already almost to the halfway point of my goal which is amazing, you've all helped so much and I appreciate it greatly.

djruden
11-29-2011, 01:19 PM

Two words: FORTY BELOW

It's not unusual when you factor in windchill that some of the colder nights during the winter hit that low. Unless global warming kicks in suddenly, expect lots of snow and ice as well.

trey4sports
11-29-2011, 01:24 PM
Maybe a relative could finance you :)

http://www.medellinexplorer.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Mims.jpg

laurenforliberty
11-29-2011, 01:39 PM
Two words: FORTY BELOW

It's not unusual when you factor in windchill that some of the colder nights during the winter hit that low. Unless global warming kicks in suddenly, expect lots of snow and ice as well.

I just got two down coats from my Nana to have out there. It snowed here in Nashville today and I literally screamed, we don't get much of that where I grew up in Texas!

Maybe a relative could finance you :)

http://www.medellinexplorer.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Mims.jpg

Hahah! I WISH I were actually related to someone with that kind of money. Sadly "MIMS" stands for Music is My Savior, and not my last name. :(

jaktober
11-29-2011, 02:00 PM
Hello, my name is Lauren. I appreciate anything anyone can give, $1's are awesome! ]

Well Lauren, how about $2's?!?!? Woot woot! I'd give more but I am currently trying to raise funds myself to recover from my recent month stay in Iowa organizing meet-ups. I am currently in SC and heading next to Florida, from there onto Boston, Philly and D.C. (that last one is more for me than for RP, but I'll see what I can do). I've been donating 50% of my chip-in contributions to other Ron Paul Projects, so you get the $2 I have left from a generous $200 contribution someone gave me. (The other $98 went to Iowa Super Brochure Mailings).

Check out my Iowa article (http://freeindependentsun.com/republic/ron-paul-road-warriortour-to-end-the-war-iowa-ankeny-des-moines-ames/) and sign on to meet ups out there to try to get a hold of some of the people if you are interested in getting involved a bit. Also hop on ronpaulsocialnetwork.com (http://ronpaulsocialnetwork.com) to sync up with others (and post your chip-in there too). And, just to be a sport, I'll give you the RP Project half of my next chip-in contribution: http://jaktober.chipin.com/the-free-independent-sun (http://jaktober.chipin.com/the-free-independent-sun)

laurenforliberty
11-29-2011, 02:18 PM
Well Lauren, how about $2's?!?!? Woot woot! I'd give more but I am currently trying to raise funds myself to recover from my recent month stay in Iowa organizing meet-ups. I am currently in SC and heading next to Florida, from there onto Boston, Philly and D.C. (that last one is more for me than for RP, but I'll see what I can do). I've been donating 50% of my chip-in contributions to other Ron Paul Projects, so you get the $2 I have left from a generous $200 contribution someone gave me. (The other $98 went to Iowa Super Brochure Mailings).

Check out my Iowa article (http://freeindependentsun.com/republic/ron-paul-road-warriortour-to-end-the-war-iowa-ankeny-des-moines-ames/) and sign on to meet ups out there to try to get a hold of some of the people if you are interested in getting involved a bit. Also hop on ronpaulsocialnetwork.com (http://ronpaulsocialnetwork.com) to sync up with others (and post your chip-in there too). And, just to be a sport, I'll give you the RP Project half of my next chip-in contribution: http://jaktober.chipin.com/the-free-independent-sun (http://jaktober.chipin.com/the-free-independent-sun)

Thank you so much! I'll definitely check out your article and the other source you've linked me to. And thank you so much for your donation as well! It is so nice to see others who are super committed to helping out others with a common goal of getting Ron Paul elected! I appreciate it so much.

laurenforliberty
11-29-2011, 02:55 PM
An incredibly generous donor just funded the rest of what I needed, thank you so much to everyone, I'll be sure to continue posting on here especially while I'm in Iowa supporting the Good Doctor!