PDA

View Full Version : The early careers of the GOP candidates

Agorism
11-27-2011, 10:18 PM
The early careers of the GOP candidates

http://www.npr.org/series/141152608/job-1-early-careers-that-shaped-the-gop-candidates

October 25, 2011 When he set up shop in 1968, Ron Paul, the GOP presidential candidate known primarily for his opposition to armed intervention overseas and the Federal Reserve, was the only obstetrician in town. His former partner recalls he had two stipulations: No. 1, no abortions; and No. 2, he refused to participate in any federal health programs

Lavitz
11-27-2011, 11:36 PM
Great article except for bringing up the Kent Snyder incident without giving enough details. It's causing problems in the comments section.

Agorism
11-27-2011, 11:54 PM
Great article except for bringing up the Kent Snyder incident without giving enough details. It's causing problems in the comments section.

?? what's that

sailingaway
11-27-2011, 11:54 PM
The early careers of the GOP candidates

http://www.npr.org/series/141152608/job-1-early-careers-that-shaped-the-gop-candidates

It wasn't just that he refused to participate in federal health plans. I read the longer article. He said we'll take care of them and treat them just like everyone else, but we won't bill them if they can't pay -- and we won't participate in federal health plans.

Eventually Paul got so busy he took on a partner. Jack Pruett, who was then fresh out of his obstetrics/gynecology residency, says when he first sat down in Paul's office, he was told there were two stipulations he would have to agree to before joining the practice.

"He said, 'No. 1 is we will not perform any abortions.' And I said, 'That's fine; I can live with that. What's No. 2?' " he remembers.

No. 2, says Pruett, was that the practice would not participate in any federal health programs, which meant, as Paul described it, "that we will see all Medicare and Medicaid patients free of charge, and they will be treated just like all of our other patients, but we're not going to charge them and accept federal funds."

Still in debt from his medical training, Pruett said that was a little harder for him to swallow. "But I liked Ron, so I decided that I would agree to that, too. And in all those 20 years, we never accepted one penny of federal money. We saw all those patients for free, delivered their babies free, did their surgeries free; whatever they needed we did, and we didn't charge them."

sailingaway
11-27-2011, 11:58 PM

and they cut off the comments with one at the top saying Ron wouldn't buy health insurance for staff, which is not the case at all, and if it were, Kent as campaign chair would have been the one to decide it. Kent had a preexisting condition and couldn't be insured. He quit his job knowing he had it to spend his last active time working for something he believed in. And he DID get care, which would have been a whole lot less expensive if govt hadn't driven the cost of medical care up.

Kent Snyder was the name of Ron's 2007 campaign chair who got pneumonia and died. He didn't have insurance, because he had had a preexisting condition. but the fact that he had $400,000 in bills which were discharged with his death shows he got care. Insurance doesn't make you immortal. Liberals use this to say 'see, if only he'd had Obamacare!'

Had Ron been the presiding doctor, there wouldn't have been a doctor's bill, given his practice described in the article.

Cleaner44
11-28-2011, 12:05 AM
Kent Snyder did receive medical care... that is how he ended up with $400,000 in unpaid hospital bills.

Revolution9
11-28-2011, 06:10 AM
Eventually Paul got so busy he took on a partner. Jack Pruett, who was then fresh out of his obstetrics/gynecology residency, says when he first sat down in Paul's office, he was told there were two stipulations he would have to agree to before joining the practice.

"He said, 'No. 1 is we will not perform any abortions.' And I said, 'That's fine; I can live with that. What's No. 2?' " he remembers.

No. 2, says Pruett, was that the practice would not participate in any federal health programs, which meant, as Paul described it, "that we will see all Medicare and Medicaid patients free of charge, and they will be treated just like all of our other patients, but we're not going to charge them and accept federal funds."

Still in debt from his medical training, Pruett said that was a little harder for him to swallow. "But I liked Ron, so I decided that I would agree to that, too. And in all those 20 years, we never accepted one penny of federal money. We saw all those patients for free, delivered their babies free, did their surgeries free; whatever they needed we did, and we didn't charge them.".

This needs spreading far and wide. Holy cow! My father-in-law was an old sicilian doctor that was the medical officer on The Eagles Nest raid. He never charged more than what the patient could afford at the office and did house calls. The DEA shut him down over one prescription after 57 years of practice. He did tell the guy he would have him knocked off though. He was a fearless hoot.

Rev9

Rev9

sailingaway
11-28-2011, 09:05 AM
Overall, though, I think people here would enjoy reading it. Gingrich's doesn't touch his scandals, but apparently even in his early days you could see what he would become, given power. Well, the same for Ron, in a sense. Character matters, a lot.