PDA

View Full Version : Union Leader Announces Endorsement

kylejack
11-27-2011, 03:54 AM
It's the Grinch.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/11/27/gingrich-gets-big-new-hampshire-endorsement/

Crystallas
11-27-2011, 03:56 AM
As long as it isn't Romney or Cain. Newt's skeletons have barely come out.

bluesc
11-27-2011, 03:59 AM
Lol, what a waste of an endorsement. I guess the establishment are really pushing for him to be:

-The '12 McCain, or
-The anti-Romney, to prevent Ron from taking it

Also.. I have a very strong feeling that the Des Moines Register is going to endorse Newt too. The editorial board was pretty much apologizing for him over his immigration comments. He'll take Palin's endorsement too.

Oddone
11-27-2011, 04:03 AM
The paper knows Gingrich's past, as well as we do. You figure they wouldn't want to hurt their name by endorseing someone like the Grinch.

Taco John
11-27-2011, 04:06 AM
If Gingrich wins Iowa, and Paul places no worse than third, and Romney wins NH and Paul places no worse than third, that will clear things up a bit. It will then be a 3 man race with a lot of others dropping out. In that scenario, I don't think anyone runs away with it, and Paul can make some hay by winning Nevada.

pauladin
11-27-2011, 04:08 AM
if gingrich steals iowa from paul, i will f***ing puke.

Sola_Fide
11-27-2011, 04:08 AM
What a joke...predictable though.

bluesc
11-27-2011, 04:09 AM
If Gingrich wins Iowa, and Paul places no worse than third, and Romney wins NH and Paul places no worse than third, that will clear things up a bit. It will then be a 3 man race with a lot of others dropping out. In that scenario, I don't think anyone runs away with it, and Paul can make some hay by winning Nevada.

It's Iowa or bust for Ron. Let's be realistic instead of succumbing to the '07 syndrome.

Student Of Paulism
11-27-2011, 04:30 AM
Wow, it's so awesome to see a state that most call 'socially conservative' endorsing a closet communist. Pff...:rolleyes: Why doesn't Newt just parade himself around with one of these on:

http://www.ushanka.net/images/s_01172006_173035-P1020095.JPG

Heck, may as well just put it out there and stop keeping it a secret already.

KCIndy
11-27-2011, 04:31 AM
if gingrich steals iowa from paul, i will f***ing puke.

Make sure you leave some room for me; I'll be right there beside ya. :(

Keith and stuff
11-27-2011, 04:35 AM
It's the Grinch.

hxxp://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/11/27/gingrich-gets-big-new-hampshire-endorsement/

And that Fox article incorrectly calls Ron Paul a Libertarian. At least it mentioned he is tied for 2nd in NH.

John F Kennedy III
11-27-2011, 04:36 AM
It's Iowa or bust for Ron. Let's be realistic instead of succumbing to the '07 syndrome.

This.

Tinnuhana
11-27-2011, 05:59 AM
And who will the more liberal papers in NH endorse just to diss the Union Leader? Has The Telegraph (Nashua) endorsed anyone yet? Keene Sentinel? Portsmouth? The college towns (Durham, Plymouth)?

Keith and stuff
11-27-2011, 06:21 AM
And who will the more liberal papers in NH endorse just to diss the Union Leader? Has The Telegraph (Nashua) endorsed anyone yet? Keene Sentinel? Portsmouth? The college towns (Durham, Plymouth)?

AFAIK, none of the other papers have endorsed. However, the Union Leader is by far the largest Republican leaning paper in the state, and the only statewide paper. The next is Foster's Daily Democrat. Keene Sentinel and Portsmouth Herald are noticeably smaller and lean far Democratic.

The Concord Monitor (leans far Democratic) and the Nashua Telegraph (leans slightly Democratic) are the largest daily papers in NH besides the Union Leader.

If the Nashua Telegraph or the (MA based) Eagle Tribune endorse, my guess is Romney.

In the 2008 race, the Telegraph endorsed McCain.

McCain our choice for GOP nomination (Nashua Telegraph endorsement)
Nashua Telegraph ^ | 12/30/07 | Editorial

Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 4:08:36 AM by Norman Bates

Eight years ago, when he was running as a political maverick against Republican establishment candidate George W. Bush, we endorsed John McCain for the GOP nomination for president of the United States.

We did so because of his integrity.

We did so because of his leadership.

We did so because of his forthrightness and his refusal to pander to voters by telling them what they wanted to hear.

A lot of things have changed in this country during these last eight years, starting with the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001, which resulted in the tragic deaths of nearly 3,000 Americans and led to the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq.

But not everything has changed. McCain is here once again, crisscrossing the Granite State in his Straight Talk Express tour bus, displaying the same integrity, vision and, yes, straight talk that marked his earlier, unsuccessful run for the presidency.

Oh, and one more thing hasn't changed: our support.

Today, we endorse John McCain for the Republican nomination for president.

HOLLYWOOD
11-27-2011, 07:14 AM
N.H. UNION LEADER Newspaper Publisher, Joseph McQuaid, will be on C-SPAN's Washington Journal @ 8:30AM EST / 5:30AM PST this morning here's the call-in. email/tweets into Washington Journal

We need everyone to activate and call out the Union Leader/Joseph McQuaid about endorsing Newt Gingrich.

8:30-9:15: Joseph McQuaid, New Hampshire Union Leader, Publisher

Topic: The New Hampshire Union Leader will be making its endorsement in the Republican presidential race on Sunday.

Call-In Numbers:

Democrats: (202) 737-0001
Republicans: (202) 737-0002

Independents: (202) 628-0205

Outside U.S.: (202) 628-0184

Email: journal@c-span.org

Twitter: http://twitter.com/cspanwj
About C-SPAN's Call-In Program: 

Frequently Asked Questions (http://legacy.c-span.org/About/wj_faq.aspx)

HOLLYWOOD
11-27-2011, 07:37 AM
This Publisher, Joseph McQuaid is on CSPAN now...

Patrick Henry
11-27-2011, 07:42 AM
This is a joke right? I mean Gingrich is trash.

FreedomProsperityPeace
11-27-2011, 07:44 AM
Candy Crowley just said in 40 years, the UL has only chosen the eventual nominee twice. :cool:

bluesc
11-27-2011, 07:47 AM
Candy Crowley just said in 40 years, the UL has only chosen the eventual nominee twice. :cool:

Reagan and McCain. They even endorsed Buchanan twice. Shame they wasted this endorsement, they didn't even consider Ron.

HOLLYWOOD
11-27-2011, 07:52 AM
The Guy is Trashing Ron Paul. Supporting Newt Gingrich's expansion of the PATRIOT ACT

Brought up the McVey Bombing in Oklahoma debate, how Newt Put Ron Paul in his place

Patrick Henry
11-27-2011, 07:53 AM
He is indeed. This guy is a giant shill for the warfare state and quite frankly sounds like an idiot.
The Guy is Trashing Ron Paul. Supporting Newt Gingrich's expansion of the PATRIOT ACT

Brought up the McVey Bombing in Oklahoma

CaptUSA
11-27-2011, 07:59 AM
Just heard a spokesman on CNN saying (with a giggle) that they wanted to pick the most conservative candidate - that can win. He said they didn't want to pick the purest candidate (You know who he was talking about).

Wasn't this the same thought process with McCain?

My thinking is that they really want Obama to be re-elected.

Paulatized
11-27-2011, 08:02 AM
Which goes to show you integrity, character, honesty, and fidelity are trumped by someone they think can beat Obama in a debate. Run away government? rule of law? of no concern.

airborne373
11-27-2011, 08:03 AM
Wow - a piece of filth like Newt? Disgusting. He is COMMIE trash. I guess that makes him perfect for O'Really and Fox news.

HOLLYWOOD
11-27-2011, 08:24 AM
The Caller from Chicago... OUTSTANDING!

Joseph McQuaid anyone notice he reads off notes while the questions are asked?

What a propaganda shill.

kylejack
11-27-2011, 11:55 AM
And that Fox article incorrectly calls Ron Paul a Libertarian.
They fixed it. It says Texas Rep now.

D.A.S.
11-27-2011, 12:00 PM
Oh for shame, Union Leader - that was your last shot at being relevant.

sailingaway
11-27-2011, 12:08 PM
N.H. UNION LEADER Newspaper Publisher, Joseph McQuaid, will be on C-SPAN's Washington Journal @ 8:30AM EST / 5:30AM PST this morning here's the call-in. email/tweets into Washington Journal

We need everyone to activate and call out the Union Leader/Joseph McQuaid about endorsing Newt Gingrich.

8:30-9:15: Joseph McQuaid, New Hampshire Union Leader, Publisher

Topic: The New Hampshire Union Leader will be making its endorsement in the Republican presidential race on Sunday.

Call-In Numbers:

Democrats: (202) 737-0001
Republicans: (202) 737-0002

Independents: (202) 628-0205

Outside U.S.: (202) 628-0184

Email: journal@c-span.org

Twitter: http://twitter.com/cspanwj
About C-SPAN's Call-In Program: 

Frequently Asked Questions (http://legacy.c-span.org/About/wj_faq.aspx)

don't spam them. It is done. Win their good will for Ron going forward.

jason43
11-27-2011, 12:08 PM
Does anyone really vote based on an endorcement? Maybe I'm just too self centered, but I don't care who other people tell me to vote for.

sailingaway
11-27-2011, 12:10 PM
I posted this on another thread, but it really goes here:

The problem is the short time. Gingrich was starting to sag, imho, and yesterday a ton of hit pieces came out on him (see opposing candidates). The problem is if Vander Haart actually thinks his reputation would stand endorsing a guy (Gingrich) who literally gave seminars on how to capture the religious voter, has a horrible personal record, pushed for creation of the WTO, voted to create the Dept of education, proposed a mandatory health insurance scheme similar to Obamacare, favored global warming cap and trade, decided that 'after all' if he were in office he would vote for TARP, was a NAFTA cheerleader, and promises the moon with NO spending cuts to pay for them. (Well, OK, the GOP is good at ignoring that last thing.)

IF he can get a bunch of the social conservatives behind someone so obviously not socially conservative, and a con man to boot, by pointing to the UL endorsement in NH, it could be an issue with Ron's momentum, imho.

Would his reputation stand endorsing Newt? I can't fathom why he's even considering the man.

But if he DOESN'T, I think this is just another thing, not a big deal.

But I could not believe the cheerleading I saw on Redstate for someone as toxic as Gingrich.