PDA

View Full Version : New Ron Paul mailer tells Iowans he’s ‘despised by the Washington establishment’-(Article)

IndianaPolitico
11-26-2011, 08:19 PM
http://caucuses.desmoinesregister.com/2011/11/26/new-ron-paul-mailer-tells-iowans-hes-despised-by-the-washington-establishment/
http://caucuses.desmoinesregister.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/photo6-337x450.jpg

In a new campaign mailer that arrived at Iowa homes today, Ron Paul shreds three rival GOP candidates’ political records and tells voters that his “record of being right while others were wrong” sets him apart.

“Ask anyone in Congress or even anyone in this race. Whether or not they agree with everything I say, they will admit I stick to my principles and that I am despised by the Washington establishment for taking on both parties,” Paul says in the seven-page letter.

Paul, a congressman from Texas who has been campaigning aggressively in Iowa, said he’s the only candidate who predicted the current economic mess.

He slams rival GOP presidential candidates Herman Cain, Rick Perry and Mitt Romney, in that order.

Paul doesn’t mention Newt Gingrich by name. Recent polling in Iowa shows Gingrich, Cain, Romney and Paul clustered at the top. Perry is not in the top tier.

“In one of his opinion columns, Herman Cain referred to the $700 billion bailout of Wall Street banks as a ‘win-win for the taxpayer,’” Paul writes. “Rick Perry signed a letter with a Democrat urging Congress to pass TARP. Mitt Romney still defends his support for this massive bailout.”

Paul adds that “Massachusetts’ RomneyCare plan … has swamped Massachusetts in new costs.”

He continues: “Rick Perry raised taxes twice and has sunk my home state of Texas in mountains of new debt with his reckless spending.

“And Herman Cain still won’t come clean and admit that I’ve been right for years when I’ve said his beloved Federal Reserve was one of the main reasons for our economic troubles.”

Also in the mailer, Paul says he’s the only candidate who will fully balance the federal budget within three years, start paying down debt within one term and cut $1 trillion in federal spending in one year.

“I am the only lifelong fiscal conservative in this race for president with a record of fighting big government and a reputation for saying “No!” to the big spenders of both parties,” he says.

Paul’s mailer arrived in a thick manila envelope. It also contains a glossy, color copy of his 12-page executive summary of his “Plan to Restore America” that’s also online.

LibertyEagle
11-26-2011, 08:24 PM
Good stuff. :)

JakeH
11-26-2011, 08:36 PM
I love seeing Ron going on the offensive.

pauliticalfan
11-26-2011, 08:37 PM
Well it's true!

rprprs
11-26-2011, 08:42 PM
Good stuff. :)

Yep. The Gingrich omission is unfortunate, though. But maybe the mailer was written before his resurgence.

Lord Xar
11-26-2011, 08:44 PM
curious why he didn't call out the biggest sham of them all, Newt.

kylejack
11-26-2011, 08:46 PM
Should not have talked about Perry. Never punch down.

trey4sports
11-26-2011, 08:52 PM
Good for him. This is the kind of thing that will not only bring in new votes but help to suppress others from turning out for their big-government candidate of choice.

parocks
11-26-2011, 08:56 PM
wow, it's almost like the Ron Paul campaign is doing direct mail in Iowa. Wait, that's exactly what they're doing.

Are these "supervoters" that are getting this direct mail piece?

Is "supervoter" a word that anyone but RevPac uses?

KramerDSP
11-26-2011, 09:08 PM
My guess is the campaign wants it winnowed down to Gingrich vs Paul as the viable "not-Romney" and are hoping Gingrich implodes in the next few weeks, leaving him in the catbird seat.

lucent
11-26-2011, 09:10 PM
Now parocks is trolling RevoPAC in non-RevoPAC threads. lol

Lord Xar
11-26-2011, 09:43 PM
Now parocks is trolling RevoPAC in non-RevoPAC threads. lol

yeah, I saw that. lol. Sowing seeds of discontent.

RonPaulCult
11-26-2011, 09:48 PM
I feel like our money is being so well spent. I feel proud. I hope the people of Iowa read it and understand that it's all so very true.

This is the revolution guys!

Paulitics 2011
11-26-2011, 09:55 PM
I don't think Newt was intentionally left out, but it was probably mailed before his recent surge. He'll fall down just like the rest though. You watch.

Liber Team
11-26-2011, 10:03 PM
mailed before newt boom

qh4dotcom
11-26-2011, 10:03 PM
Also in the mailer, Paul says he’s the only candidate who will fully balance the federal budget within three years, start paying down debt within one term and cut $1 trillion in federal spending in one year.

Gary Johnson also made that pledge...and he promised to balance the budget in his 1st year, in 2013...not in 3 years.
If you cut 1 trillion from the budget, and the budget deficit is 1.5 trillion that still leaves a budget deficit of 500 billion....Bush had smaller deficits than that.
and yes, I know Ron Paul wants to cut more than 1 trillion.

South Park Fan
11-26-2011, 10:37 PM
I am ambivalent about this. Iowans have a tendency to punish those who go negative.

Warrior_of_Freedom
11-26-2011, 10:39 PM
I don't think Newt was intentionally left out, but it was probably mailed before his recent surge. He'll fall down just like the rest though. You watch.On Google trends, Newt has double the news coverage of Paul, but half the mentions online.