PDA

View Full Version : Idea for Campaign Slogan or Motto -- "Americans First!"

doronster195
11-26-2011, 05:53 PM
I read this in a comment today on this article: theatlantic. com/politics/archive/2011/11/on-foreign-policy-ron-paul-is-more-mainstream-than-his-opponents/249081/

I think this would be a great motto because many other candidates keep preaching the nation-building and foreign aid policy, but America can't afford it, so we should put Americans first, like Ron Paul is doing.

jbuttell
11-26-2011, 06:04 PM
It's better than the typical "I pledge allegiance, to Israel" that seems to come from all of these other candidates.

doronster195
11-28-2011, 02:00 AM
Which brings up another point I think we should address... Pointing out the Israel issue only hurts Ron's campaign and alienates many of his supporters and possible supporters. While I agree with his no foreign aid to anyone policy, I don't like how many supporters constantly make it seem like helping Israel is a horrible thing. I am an Israeli and American citizen so I support both countries, I think we should put America first, but I don't think we should flaunting "anti-israel" as his campaign!

McDermit
11-28-2011, 02:16 AM
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/314309_315274801832557_100000501180130_1265313_777 011178_n.jpg

LEK
11-28-2011, 10:00 AM
A great resource for this is Ron Paul's congressional page and his copious statements made regarding bills that put other countries first BEFORE the United States. Particularly foreign aid bills to the tune of billions of dollars - money that should be used at home. I have seen many op-eds criticizing him as heartless - this kind of writing is taken out of context and needs to be refuted.

Here is an example of such a bill and Ron Paul's statement regarding his "No" vote:

Statement on Senate amendments to HR 5501, Tom Lantos and Henry J. Hyde U.S. Global Leadership Against HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria Reauthorization

July 24, 4008

Mr. Speaker, I rise in opposition to this irresponsible legislation, which will ship $48 billion overseas as foreign aid at a time when Americans are feeling the pressure of rapidly increasing inflation and a weakened dollar. It is particularly objectionable to ship money to fund healthcare overseas when so many Americans either struggle with high healthcare costs or avoid seeking medical assistance altogether due to lack of insurance or funds.

As we know, the federal government does not have $48 billion to send overseas so it will have to print the money. It is a cruel irony that this will add to inflation at home which will increase even further the costs of healthcare in the United States .

Mr. Speaker, I am saddened by the prevalence of disease in impoverished countries overseas. I certainly encourage every American concerned about HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, and malaria overseas to voluntarily provide assistance to help alleviate the problem. But I do not believe it is appropriate -- nor is it Constitutional -- to forcibly take money from American citizens to send abroad. I urge my colleagues to reject this and all foreign aid legislation.

http://paul.house.gov/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=104&Itemid=60

Here is his congressional link: http://paul.house.gov/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=1

J-Reg
11-28-2011, 10:35 AM
That slogan could be good. Put America first sounds better to me though. It also sounds a bit too mainstream, even Romneyish- you know, with his "Build a New World (American) Order" type of stuff. I think we should keep thinking about it.