PDA

View Full Version : $100K+ monthly for RP - the NOBP opt-out

PauliticsPolitics
11-26-2011, 11:51 AM
I am always a bit sad when I find snail-mail from the RP2012 campaign, RevPac, C4L, etc.
In my case, I see this as a waste of money.
Like most people on this forum, I am a "No One But Paul" voter and I highly prefer digital communication.
I do not need to be convinced about Paul.
However, I understand that there are communications that need to go out to even hardcore supporters (like messages about donation goals, canvassing activities, etc.) - but I read every email from the national RP2012 campaign, the IL RP2012 campaign, RevPac, and C4L. I am in fact more likely to read email over snail-mail. Additionally, I check the RP websites regularly and participate on forums like this daily, so I am never out of the loop.
Given the fact that RP support is generally hard-support, I believe there are many people like me, probably 100,000 or so. I get at least 3 pieces of snail-mail per month from the campaign and related organizations. Conservatively, that is at least a dollar wasted on me per month in terms of postage, paper, printing, envelopes, and labor.
With this in mind, I strongly suggest that the RP2012 campaign, RevPac, and C4L allow us to opt-out of snail-mail for the 2011-2012 season as a money saving effort. Just like the federal budget: cutting costs is often more important than raising revenue.

The opt-out could include a pledge like this.

"No One But Paul" snail-mail opt-out pledge:
1. I am a "No One But Paul" voter: I will only vote for Ron Paul in presidential elections this 2012 season.
2. I will read all digital communications, like email, from the campaign and related organizations.
3. I go above and beyond to keep up with Ron Paul news and activities.
4. Please save money by not sending me physical mail; use this money in a more wise fashion instead.

Besides saving lots of money, this would also be useful for the campaign to identify us crazy-hardcore supporters. We are the people he can count on for the above-and-beyond. Knowing who we are, confirming our email addresses, seems like a wise move.

I am NOT suggesting that this would be on the front page of the site, certainly not heavily promoted or anything: more so something available to those in the know.

Am I crazy, or is this the right idea?

unknown
11-26-2011, 12:00 PM
Suppose it just depends on the systems they use and the feasibility of removing dedicated voters from their mailing list. Sounds like a winner if they can actually do it.

McDermit
11-26-2011, 12:08 PM
Fundraising 101... Previous donors are your best target for future donations.

It's not aout voter conversion, it's about maintaining a stream of revenue from previous donors. If I was an HQ employee, the only way I'd stop sending mail to a donor is if they both opted out, AND already maxxed out for the cycle.

Kenso
11-26-2011, 12:12 PM
I agree with you OP. I once received a mailer from the official campaign that had the return envelope inside already stamped, even more money down the drain..

Birdlady
11-26-2011, 12:14 PM
I don't think opting out is a good idea. Everyone thinks they are hardcore supporters, so if they implemented this, the campaign would lose a large portion of their contacts.

If you are getting mail from RP, then they need money now. Don't wait for a moneybomb... just my 2 cents.

PauliticsPolitics
11-26-2011, 12:15 PM
Fundraising 101... Previous donors are your best target for future donations.

It's not aout voter conversion, it's about maintaining a stream of revenue from previous donors. If I was an HQ employee, the only way I'd stop sending mail to a donor is if they both opted out, AND already maxxed out for the cycle.
Yes, but there are many of us who seriously prefer digital communications, even for donation-goal messages. I have my whole-life paperless nowadays, so I think of all snail-mail as junk mail.

jbuttell
11-26-2011, 12:26 PM
I agree, I hate seeing Ron Paul, C4L etc wasting money sending these expensive pieces of mail to me. Contacting via email is just as effective for people like me. Their email system could be setup to have hooks that would give them info such as "are you still active/paying attention?" Maybe even include polls from time to time. It can't be cheap sending me as much mail as they do.

JamesButabi
11-26-2011, 03:32 PM
I agree. I get so much print from C4L and RP and its of no use to me. I'm way ahead of all the information and have no intention to donate via mail.

ZanZibar
11-26-2011, 05:48 PM
It doesn't hurt, because those mailings more than pay for themselves.

Travlyr
11-26-2011, 05:53 PM
It doesn't hurt, because those mailings more than pay for themselves.

And it helps keep the U.S. Post Office in business.

lucent
11-26-2011, 05:55 PM
It isn't going to save them any significant amount of money to not send you stuff. The mail is paid for in bulk.

Thurifer
11-26-2011, 07:12 PM
I agree with the above posters. I just donated some today. I didn't want to wait for the next moneybomb, since I know the campaign needs the money now, not later.

RIPLEYMOM
11-26-2011, 07:38 PM
Great idea! How about using the money saved to mail more super brochures!