PDA

View Full Version : Vote for Best Dec15/16 Website Name!

James R
11-06-2007, 09:51 PM
I put up all names which were nominated. There was a one hour period in which names could be nominated. At that time, there were over 500 people on the forums.

While WeekendOfLiberty was never nominated, I'd get a bunch of flak if I didn't post it.

greves
11-06-2007, 09:53 PM
WeekendForLiberty.com is the only option that encompasses everything we can accomplish in this weekend. There are TWO days here, Dec 15th AND 16th, not just the 16th. December 15th, in my opinion, is even more important for the campaign to push as the Bill of Rights Day. Yes the majority of the press on November 5th was fair, but there were a number of hit pieces about Guy Fawkes. We have a chance here to push our message further, and not just continue with "gimmicks" as one NYT article put it (not that I agree with that, of course). The Tea Party is great, and so is the Bill of Rights. WeekendForLiberty.com lets us have them both and promote it easily and safely - the campaign might even be able to promote it on the Bill of Rights Day idea (simply not mentioning the Tea Party bit).

Green Mountain Boy
11-06-2007, 09:54 PM
Umm. You should make the poll an actual poll, which you can't do now because this thread already exists.

When you make a poll, the post comes before the actual poll.

justinc.1089
11-06-2007, 10:01 PM
I don't see any advantage to naming the site "weekend for liberty." What does that have to do with the Boston Tea Party? THAT is our theme and the hook to get people to donate afterall. This site name has no date reference OR theme reference!

Brad Zink
11-06-2007, 10:07 PM
I like WeekendForLiberty.com, but multiple websites could spotlight the different aspects of the weekend.

greves
11-06-2007, 10:08 PM
justinc.1089: The point is that if we only concentrate our efforts on TeaParty07, we're losing out on a HUGE opportunity since Bill of Rights Day comes just the day before, on Saturday. The best option is to promote the two together, under the title "Weekend For Liberty."

Weekend For Liberty = Bill of Rights Day + TeaParty07, one right after the other. WFL could link to TeaParty07, or TeaParty07 could redirect to WFL - it works both ways.

Exactly what Brad Zink says.

NinjaPirate
11-06-2007, 10:11 PM
How about the mystery appeal? Should we put that into consideration?

James R
11-06-2007, 10:13 PM
greves, as an Anarchist, you should not support the WeekendForLiberty event. It would establish Trevor as an Authority Figure. Personally I'm not an Anarchist but that is why I don't want WeekendForLiberty to win.

James R
11-06-2007, 10:14 PM
Also, I have grown to love OnDecember16th.com.

We can still have the WeekendForLiberty event, and use OnDecember16th.com as the fundraising website, while the WeekendForLiberty.com can focus on the meetups.

justinc.1089
11-06-2007, 10:15 PM
justinc.1089: The point is that if we only concentrate our efforts on TeaParty07, we're losing out on a HUGE opportunity since Bill of Rights Day comes just the day before, on Saturday. The best option is to promote the two together, under the title "Weekend For Liberty."

Weekend For Liberty = Bill of Rights Day + TeaParty07, one right after the other. WFL could link to TeaParty07, or TeaParty07 could redirect to WFL - it works both ways.

Exactly what Brad Zink says.

Ok I get where you're coming from. I guess it will help with the rally promoting the day before.

And my brother was just looking at the names, and likes weekendforliberty better, and I can kind of get why. Teaparty07 well tea party just sounds kind of puny I guess lol.:o:(

If this close race between weekend for liberty and teapart07 keeps on, I say we just have 2 websites and hope that doesn't hurt anything. I don't think it would make too much difference really. If anything it will bring in competition for them to make the better site lol.

Actually thinking about it from that aspect thats what I'm for, going on with BOTH teaparty07.com and weekendforliberty.com so that they can compete to be the better website which will produce much better quality sites.

Naraku
11-06-2007, 10:18 PM
Have them all redirect to the same page and have a brief overview of the events on the main page with more detailed information on the others.

James R
11-06-2007, 10:20 PM
Ok I get where you're coming from. I guess it will help with the rally promoting the day before.

And my brother was just looking at the names, and likes weekendforliberty better, and I can kind of get why. Teaparty07 well tea party just sounds kind of puny I guess lol.:o:(

If this close race between weekend for liberty and teapart07 keeps on, I say we just have 2 websites and hope that doesn't hurt anything. I don't think it would make too much difference really. If anything it will bring in competition for them to make the better site lol.

Actually thinking about it from that aspect thats what I'm for, going on with BOTH teaparty07.com and weekendforliberty.com so that they can compete to be the better website which will produce much better quality sites.

Wait though, what did you think of my last post? Use the WeekendOfLiberty for the whole weekend, but another website for the fundraising drive? What I'm afraid of is that a website that tries to do more than raise money will not have the necessary focus.

justinc.1089
11-06-2007, 10:24 PM
Wait though, what did you think of my last post? Use the WeekendOfLiberty for the whole weekend, but another website for the fundraising drive? What I'm afraid of is that a website that tries to do more than raise money will not have the necessary focus.

I thought you were saying that?

Anyway I think having two sites is a good idea. But they can both just focus on Dec.16th donations if thats the way to go, and I tend to agree that it probably is. I think the rallying the day before will be spread anyway, so the actual sites can just focus on getting pledges for donations and such.

But if other people don't think thats a good idea we'll just go ahead with weekend for liberty alone because its pulling ahead of teaparty07.com now anyway, so I don't think there will be any dispute.

NinjaPirate
11-06-2007, 10:25 PM

So, we're doing two websites??? One specifically for the weekend and the 16th?

justinc.1089
11-06-2007, 10:33 PM
No probably not. I was just bringing that up because the way the votes were going earlier it looked like teaparty07.com and weekendforliberty.com were going to be close, which would mean people would argue over it. So I suggested if that happens we can go with both of the sites.

Then we brought up using one for promoting the rallying on the 15th and the donating on the 16th, and using the other solely to promote donating on the 16th, but I think we agreed they should both focus on donating on the 16th?

But thats all irrelevant anyway because weekendforliberty is winning now so I think its going to be the site.

I wish I could move my vote from teaparty07.com to weekendforliberty.com lol....

I hadn't thought about the 15th rally when I voted, but because of that I think weekendforliberty.com is the better site name.

Adam0980
11-06-2007, 10:46 PM
I think people advocating for the weekend website are really being over ambitious. Our goal is a big donation day. We should not be biting off more than we can chew. I don't like it. However, here's something to consider (unless it was already said). If enough people are so dead set on doing some sort of weekend thing, let's consider this. We delegate. We dedicate the actual donation project to teapart07.com. We do that. Then we also use weekendforliberty.com, but for everything else...be it the rally, promoting, or whatever. In fact, the more I think about it while I am writing this the more I am liking this idea. thoughts?

Adam0980
11-06-2007, 10:47 PM
Oh wait I see James R already suggested this. So I second the idea, but believe we should definitely use teaparty07.com.

NinjaPirate
11-06-2007, 10:48 PM
a 2 in one deal would dilute the message for the 16th. I think we should do two websites.

justinc.1089
11-06-2007, 10:49 PM
Thats what I have been saying, we go with both of the sites since they have about an even following, and Teaparty07.com can specifically focus on getting donations for dec.16th while weekend for liberty.com can focus on promoting, dec.15th, donations alongside teaparty07, etc.

Plus it will create competition between the two sites, which will greatly help the success of this event.

greves
11-06-2007, 10:49 PM
I'm not exactly sure what all this talk is about "handling donations" or such. I mean, basically the meetups will all make rallies on Dec 15th, and there will be a little box that you fill out how much your'e donating with an email address. Like nov5th there can be a graph or a youtube clip once somebody compiles all this stuff. The website is very simple, there's nothing to "handle" per se.

justinc.1089
11-06-2007, 10:54 PM
Well here are the problems people are trying to sort out:

We have two good dates to make use of side by side, so one is good for rallying on and the next to donate on. But we also have two site names about even in popularity, so some people are thinking it would be best to go with both of them.

I'm thinking just let both of them focus on promoting the entire weekend, but focus on getting donations on dec.16th mainly, and let them compete since they have the same exact purpose.

That is unless one comes out on top in popularity. Then we won't have this whole issue lol.... we can just let one do the promoting like we did for the 5th.

jgmaynard
11-06-2007, 10:59 PM
Better still, THREE websites - one for the tea party, one for the BoR day and one for the weekend.

Notice the media didn't care how many people the TNF site had signed up (which was super-super impressive, BTW), they are focusing only on money raised by the campaign. The three sites, all linking to each other, would each be sending people to the RP site for the same weekend flurry of donations (the most successful weekend in political history? What's the record?).

JM

greves
11-06-2007, 10:59 PM
It would be better to have one site to spread around once it jumps off the forums and onto facebook, myspace, youtube, etc. Otherwise people get confuzzled.

justinc.1089
11-06-2007, 11:04 PM
Yeah I agree it would be much simpler to deal with promoting one site.

Afterall we don't need to overcomplicate this, our simple plan worked great last time, so we need to try to mirror that again only with a BTP/BoR theme this time.

austin356
11-06-2007, 11:16 PM
I vote for Trevor's site, weekendforliberty.com

jgmaynard
11-06-2007, 11:19 PM
The simplest soultion is not always the best one. :)

What I am envisioning is the three groups competing on different levels to get more donations and/or activism:

The BoR day one could get as many donors as they can at a low donation rate ($17.91?) and encourage rallys and such as some people have suggested. Meanwhile, the TP site tries to go for the mega-bucks (a <$20 donation on the day before shouldn't discourage most people), and the whole shabang is merged on the weekend site.
When all is said and done, you've had a TREMEDOUS number of donors over the weekend, AND raised a buttload of cash AND had a bunch of people and signs out on the street.

I'll even volunteer to do the BoR Day site. :)

JM

sirachman
11-06-2007, 11:22 PM
Wow heres an original idea, how about we use more than one of them but simply re-direct them all to the same site?
Probably better to just pick one, but every day we all waste on arguing over what we are using is priceless viral marketing time wasted.

jgmaynard
11-06-2007, 11:24 PM
Wow heres an original idea, how about we use more than one of them but simply re-direct them all to the same site?

Search engines will bash your ratings down for trying that. It won't take us long here, ideas just need to be hashed out a bit.

JM

ProBlue33
11-07-2007, 12:38 AM
I like the teaparty site, it's up already it just needs to be cleaned up. Multple sites work to get donations but, it divides the traffic not the best idea. I think the thisdecember16 guy and teaparty guy should just work togher to make one great site. Most important thing it that gets up and running with vids and stuff its off to good start already.

wisconsinite
11-07-2007, 12:52 AM
I think the site should have "tea party" in the name so people connect it with the Boston Tea Party. The symbolism is perfect.

Paul4Prez
11-07-2007, 01:01 AM
I like a two-day event, with competing pledges, but it can still be called the Boston Tea Party. It's just a two-day tea party. Weekend for Liberty sounds too much like the 4th of July.

TeaParty07.com is short, catchy, easy to remember, and captures the spirit of the event.

Unless people are worried about being associated with a bunch of anti-government hoodlums who dressed up to mock Native Americans, seized and destroyed private property, then polluted the pristine waters of Boston Harbor with it..... (Just kidding!)

Paulite5112007
11-07-2007, 01:14 AM
I didnt vote for either one, but if given the choice between the top two vote getters

TeaParty07.com

would get my vote. It doesnt quite have the mystery hook that I liked about thisnovember5th.com, but it is more mainstream and would probably play better for networks.

One think I realized today while listening to my wifes father ramble on about McCain - the young voters can stand behind a message, but the older voter really stands behind the candidate. There is a distiction between that. They want to hear them talk, know what they did in life, what they stand for. It hasnt been pushed as much as I like - but the fact that RP is only candidate that I ever was passionate about is because of his ethics and that his actions (for 30 years) have match his words.

Perry
11-07-2007, 01:22 AM
Teaparty 07 it is!

hard@work
11-07-2007, 02:10 AM
TeaParty07.com is the easiest to market and most memorable. It also shares in the spirit of the 5th bomb. Unlike the 5th, the Boston Tea Party was our own. It would be shameful not to honor this after honoring an English occurence would it not?

Nickel
11-07-2007, 06:13 AM
I think it would be a big mistake to not have the date included in the url. It serves as a reminder and also creates a little curiosity. The more I look at something like teaparty07.com - the cornier I think it sounds. I don't see why we couldn't keep the tea party theme, but use the date url.

If we're going to make a weekend of it, with rallies on the 15th and donations on the 16th (wonderful idea) we could just advertise it on the site.

jrich4rpaul
11-07-2007, 06:16 AM
This Has To Be A One Day Thing To Break Clinton & Kerry's One Day Records.

JordanL
11-07-2007, 06:20 AM
I've been throwing this around so that people can give me suggestions on what to do with the domain, but I have a site up and running at this address:

http://ournewteaparty.com/

I'm a website design and administration guy by profession (kinda), so I'm also volunteering my skills if we don't go with my site.