PDA

View Full Version : What I picked up at Barnes & Noble

Knightskye
11-26-2011, 12:31 AM
For my birthday, my brother, Steve, got me a Barnes & Noble gift card, so earlier tonight I checked out the "Current Affairs" shelf, where I found and bought these two:

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/6050/bnbooks.jpg

I bought "Soprano State" because I live in New Jersey, and I bought "Washington Rules" because I live in America. :)

I also saw Judge Napolitano's new book (http://www.amazon.com/Dangerous-Right-When-Government-Wrong/dp/1595553509) and Chalmers Johnson's Blowback (http://www.amazon.com/Blowback-Second-Consequences-American-Empire/dp/0805075593), along with a couple of other Johnson books.

Becker
11-26-2011, 12:34 AM
very interesting!

Rael
11-26-2011, 01:38 AM
Nice.

Love barnes and noble. I have a Nook Color and it's great. Once you jailbreak them you basically have a tablet pc.

Becker
11-26-2011, 01:51 AM
Nice.

Love barnes and noble. I have a Nook Color and it's great. Once you jailbreak them you basically have a tablet pc.

does it support flash? have a webcam?

My hp touchpad does, no jailbreaking required, but i heard overclocking it makes it a lot more fun. bigger screen too :)

Rael
11-26-2011, 02:07 AM

My hp touchpad does, no jailbreaking required, but i heard overclocking it makes it a lot more fun. bigger screen too :)

no webcam. I have watched videos on it.

Warrior_of_Freedom
11-26-2011, 04:46 AM

I wouldn't overclock such a compact piece of electronics. The way processors are pushed today, some manufacturers already overclock them.

Lavitz
11-26-2011, 12:14 PM
Cool, I just finished reading "Washington Rules" last week. It does a good job showing how our foreign policy never changes from one administration to the next. The most valuable parts of the book for me were probably the history of the CIA and the Strategic Air Command as well as exposing the folly of Petraeus' "winning hearts and minds" strategy.

Knightskye
11-28-2011, 12:15 AM
Cool, I just finished reading "Washington Rules" last week. It does a good job showing how our foreign policy never changes from one administration to the next. The most valuable parts of the book for me were probably the history of the CIA and the Strategic Air Command as well as exposing the folly of Petraeus' "winning hearts and minds" strategy.

Did you notice several rhymes early on in the book? There were three that I noticed and I just thought it was funny.

Also, I liked his point that men who act hastily never have time to stop and think, which made me think of Bill O'Reilly telling Ron Paul, "We don't have time for a history lesson." ;)

nayjevin
11-28-2011, 01:48 AM
I found a Bacevich audiobook 'The End of American Exceptionalism' at half-price books for $1... it's very good so far. Found 'A Nation of Sheep' by Judge Napolitano for $1 too. I don't need more reading material, but couldn't pass them up either :)