PDA

View Full Version : Bronze Ron Paul Portrait Sculpture

Dan Thompson
11-25-2011, 10:59 AM
Hi All,

I've made a life-sized portrait bust of Ron Paul that I'd like to be cast in bronze. I really can't afford to have it cast myself right now, so I'm raising funds, with the hope of giving it to to Ron Paul as a gift, on behalf of everyone who donates to the project. I'm also in the process of making a smaller version, which will be cast in resin and will therefore be more generally affordable. I think every President needs a good sculptural portrait - and I think I make this case for this pretty well on my fundraising site (link below). And it's appropriate that it is being produced with private funds, rather than from tax dollars. If this project is a great success, I can donate bronzes to schools, perhaps the Texas State House...? I think it will be inspirational for people who are
dedicated to liberty to have a smaller Ron Paul bust on their desk as well - it has certainly been so for me, to work on it and have it in my environment,
and I chose his expression with this in mind.

I realize that this is a high-end promotional piece, without a massive impact, but I think it's worthwhile. If I were skilled in designing t-shirts or posters,
I'd probably be offering that. But this is what I can do.

So please be kind enough to visit the site, and let me know what you think. I welcome any constructive criticism (so far it's been upbeat from my FB RP
friends). If you like it, I encourage you to give just a dollar. The idea is not so much to raise a ton of money as to get as many names on the list as
possible for when it's handed over to RP (and of course, to raise enough to get the thing made and delivered). And please share the link with friends if
you think they'd be interested in giving - or just gawking. I'd also be grateful for suggestions regarding the promotion this effort.

Thanks,
Dan

Here's the link. Please note that the main picture is a bit too cropped (working on that). Better images are under the blue tab that says
"Gallery/3":

http://www.indiegogo.com/The-Ron-Paul-Presidential-Bronze-Portrait-Gift-Project?a=313688&i=addr

ZanZibar
11-25-2011, 12:15 PM
I must be honest, I don't think Ron would like to have his image turned into an icon. Deifying and memorializing politicians is largely frowned upon by many people here. The thought process is to promote ideas not people.

That being said, we'd love to see a pic of it to see your work of art!

The Free Hornet
11-25-2011, 12:46 PM
I must be honest, I don't think Ron would like to have his image turned into an icon. Deifying and memorializing politicians is largely frowned upon by many people here. The thought process is to promote ideas not people.

Yeah, I would send it to Obama instead. Of course, he has a history with these things (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/barackobama/4623148/Barack-Obama-sends-bust-of-Winston-Churchill-on-its-way-back-to-Britain.html). It could be the gift that keeps on giving.

libertygrl
11-25-2011, 03:07 PM
Hi All,

I've made a life-sized portrait bust of Ron Paul that I'd like to be cast in bronze. I really can't afford to have it cast myself right now, so I'm raising funds, with the hope of giving it to to Ron Paul as a gift, on behalf of everyone who donates to the project. I'm also in the process of making a smaller version, which will be cast in resin and will therefore be more generally affordable. I think every President needs a good sculptural portrait - and I think I make this case for this pretty well on my fundraising site (link below). And it's appropriate that it is being produced with private funds, rather than from tax dollars. If this project is a great success, I can donate bronzes to schools, perhaps the Texas State House...? I think it will be inspirational for people who are
dedicated to liberty to have a smaller Ron Paul bust on their desk as well - it has certainly been so for me, to work on it and have it in my environment,
and I chose his expression with this in mind.

I realize that this is a high-end promotional piece, without a massive impact, but I think it's worthwhile. If I were skilled in designing t-shirts or posters,
I'd probably be offering that. But this is what I can do.

So please be kind enough to visit the site, and let me know what you think. I welcome any constructive criticism (so far it's been upbeat from my FB RP
friends). If you like it, I encourage you to give just a dollar. The idea is not so much to raise a ton of money as to get as many names on the list as
possible for when it's handed over to RP (and of course, to raise enough to get the thing made and delivered). And please share the link with friends if
you think they'd be interested in giving - or just gawking. I'd also be grateful for suggestions regarding the promotion this effort.

Thanks,
Dan

Here's the link. Please note that the main picture is a bit too cropped (working on that). Better images are under the blue tab that says
"Gallery/3":

http://www.indiegogo.com/The-Ron-Paul-Presidential-Bronze-Portrait-Gift-Project?a=313688&i=addr

That is really quite EXCELLENT! Unfortunately, I would have to agree with ZanZibar but I would hate for all your hard creative work go to waste! Artistic expression comes from the heart so I wouldn't allow our personal opinions to deter you from presenting this as a gift. It's not like it's going to be publically displayed and perhaps this may be treasured by his family members when he is long gone. I say go for it. Good Luck!

Dan Thompson
11-26-2011, 08:07 AM

Thanks for your feedback, Zanzibar (and everyone else). I don't think we can get away from the fact that people stand up for, formulate, and embody ideas - and serve as a focal point for coordinated action. We are not electing the abstract concept of Liberty to the office of the President. That said, deification is a bad idea - all the more reason to promote the image and character of a man who models humility and service as the hallmarks of leadership.

Art - like sculpture - is a historical record, just like written accounts in history books. If Ron Paul's image is not found among other images of leaders, he - the principles he stands for - will seem less important to the casual observer (i.e. the majority), and be more easily forgotten. We buy from salesmen, and how they present
themselves as individuals is a large part of our decision to buy - or to send them on their way. To me, a bronze portrait of Ron Paul says this product -liberty - is a
"classic," something with a respectable, ancient pedigree, and something which will *endure.*

If you click on this link to my RP Facebook page, there are some good pictures: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ron-Paul-Presidential-Bronze-Portrait-Gift-Project/299248910096424?sk=info

And this is the fundraising site, with a more detailed explanation of my purpose in doing this:

Revolution9
11-26-2011, 09:07 AM
I am an artist and sculptor (and an arts critique ballbuster) and I like your bust. It is a classic work and a standard. It is not a fanboy icon of celebrity worship. It is what it is. A bust of a distinguished statesman in the classic tradition. They are gonna need at least one for the RP Presidential Library when it gets built. It is also a fine commemorative collectors piece of semi-precious metal and an art investment one can enjoy as a part of one's living environment.

May I ask how many hours you put into it?

Best Regards
Rev9

ZanZibar
11-26-2011, 02:36 PM
I like it, it looks great!

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
11-26-2011, 04:13 PM
I love the work and I like the idea but for the amount you are trying to raise you might best be served to wait until things begin to die down. There are so many grassroots projects going on that funding could be troublesome for you and I would hate to see a worthy cause and such an incredible work of art go unfunded.

king_nothing_
11-26-2011, 04:17 PM
Amazing work.

I don't think Ron would want to keep a bust of himself though, honestly. That would be kind of weird if you think about it. I certainly wouldn't want a bust of myself, regardless of how important I was. It takes a certain amount of egotism to want to own a bust of yourself, and fortunately Ron is not that type of person.

Perhaps a better idea would be to auction it off and donate the proceeds to the campaign and/or RevPAC.