PDA

View Full Version : “Cops are the most humorless knotheads on the planet.”

Anti Federalist
11-25-2011, 01:40 AM
Quote from an 88 year old man who's business is being destroyed as "collateral damage" in the drug war.

This money quote indicates why we are in so much danger right now:

"Methamphetamine is an insidious drug that causes enormous collateral damage," wrote Barbara Carreno, a DEA spokeswoman. "If Mr. Wallace is no longer in business he has perhaps become part of that collateral damage, for it was not a result of DEA regulations, but rather the selfish actions of criminal opportunists. Individuals that readily sacrifice human lives for money."

Let that sink in.

It's not their fault, says the virtuous government badges, it's all our fault, or at least those of us mundanes that are behaving in ways government disapproves of.

This is exactly the line of reasoning that was used by every gulag jailer, every death camp officer, every shooter at the mass grave.

We are fucking doomed if we don't turn this around...

Federal agents say 88-year-old Saratoga man's invention is being used by meth labs

http://www.mercurynews.com/saratoga/ci_19385037

By Sean Webby

swebby@mercurynews.com
Posted: 11/14/2011 12:00:00 AM PST
Updated: 11/21/2011 10:26:11 PM PST

Eighty-eight-year-old retired metallurgist Bob Wallace is a self-described tinkerer, but he hardly thinks of himself as the Thomas Edison of the illegal drug world.

He has nothing to hide. His product is packaged by hand in a cluttered Saratoga garage. It's stored in a garden shed in the backyard. The whole operation is guarded by an aged, congenial dog named Buddy.

But federal and state drug enforcement agents are coming down hard on Wallace's humble homemade solution, which he concocted to help backpackers purify water.

The U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency and state regulators say druggies can use the single ingredient in his "Polar Pure" water purifier -- iodine -- to make crystal meth.

Wallace says federal and state agents have effectively put him out of business, because authorities won't clear the way for him to buy or sell the iodine he needs for his purification bottles. He has been rejected for a state permit by the Department of Justice and is scheduled to appeal his case before an administrative judge in Sacramento next month.

Meanwhile, the exasperated Stanford University-educated engineer and his 85-year-old girlfriend said the government -- in its zeal to clamp down on meth labs -- has instead stopped hikers, flood victims and others from protecting themselves against a bad case of the runs.

Collateral damage

"This old couple, barely surviving old farts, and we're supposed to be meth dealers? This is just plain stupid," Wallace said, as he sat in the nerve center of his not-so-clandestine compound surrounded by contoured hiking maps, periodic tables and the prototypes of metal snowshoes he invented a few years ago. "These are the same knotheads that make you take your shoes off in the airport."

When asked about Wallace, the DEA -- which, in all fairness, does not provide security in airports -- responded in an email that some investigations revealed that methamphetamine labs were using Polar Pure.

"Methamphetamine is an insidious drug that causes enormous collateral damage," wrote Barbara Carreno, a DEA spokeswoman. "If Mr. Wallace is no longer in business he has perhaps become part of that collateral damage, for it was not a result of DEA regulations, but rather the selfish actions of criminal opportunists. Individuals that readily sacrifice human lives for money."

Wallace and his partner, Marjorie Ottenberg, came up with the idea about 30 years ago as they planned to scale the Popocatépetl volcano in Mexico.

Hoping to avoid Montezuma's revenge, Ottenberg, a chemist by trade, read an article in Backpacker magazine about two doctors who had been infected with Giardia and recommended treating water with crystalline iodine.

"We knew the water was questionable down there, so we stole their idea," Wallace said with an unapologetic grin.

So in 1983, the couple began selling their brown bottles with a small sprinkling of iodine crystals -- about a quarter of an ounce -- in the bottom.

Polar Pure was an instant, if modest, hit among backpackers and world travelers. It was effective, light and never expired, unlike many other products. One bottle can disinfect about 2,000 quarts of water.

But about four years ago, the DEA began to look closely at the product, even citing it in a position paper, and suggested that it was being used by cranksters as well as campers.

In 2007, federal regulations were passed strictly regulating the chemical. Wallace said the new rules mandated that he had to pay a $1,200 regulatory fee, get federal and state permits, keep track of exactly who was buying his product and report anyone suspicious.

Wallace ignored the fee. And if they wanted a list of his customers, he fumed, all they would get would be camping equipment store managers and wholesalers.

There have been two major spikes in demand for Polar Pure: One in 1999 on the eve of Y2K fears and another soon after the Japanese tsunami, when people were afraid that a radiation cloud would float across the Pacific and poison water. Wallace said he sold close to 24,000 bottles in his last few months of business at $6.50 a pop.

Special Agent Richard Camps, a San Jose-based state narcotics task force commander, said he received reports of suspicious buyers.

"Weird-looking people, 'Beavis and Butt-Head'-types, were coming into camping stores and buying everything they had on the shelves," Camps said. "Then they would take off into the mountains and try to cook meth with it." The DEA reported agents found Polar Pure at a meth lab they dismantled in Tennessee two years ago.

Seeking changes

At its height, Polar Pure was bringing in about $100,000 a year, Wallace said during an interview.

"We do?" Ottenberg said in surprise. "Why don't we go on more vacations?"

"Because we're too old to do anything any more," Wallace replied.

In May, his Oklahoma distributor -- warned by the DEA -- said he could no longer send Wallace iodine.

For Wallace to comply, the state Department of Justice fingerprinted the couple and told Wallace he needed to show them such things as a solid security system for his product. Wallace sent a photograph of Buddy sitting on the front porch.

"These guys don't go for my humor," Wallace said. "Cops are the most humorless knotheads on the planet." Even so, Marco Campagna, Wallace's lawyer, promised to strengthen security and make other improvements to allay the government's concerns.

Wallace is not against regulation per se, although he thinks the demand for a customer list is an invasion of privacy and a waste of time. He just feels that the feds should tweak the law to allow distributors to pay a reasonable fee: $10, for example.

Wallace does not live a Pablo Escobar-like life. He putters, invents and drives his 1978 Mercedes-Benz that runs on cooking oil to the De Anza College track, where he jogs a few times a week, barefoot. His "bling" consists of a tumbled collection of obsidian, limestone and mica in the backyard.

"Do I look like a mafia agent?" he said.

It's not so much the financial hardship, Wallace said. It's the irritation of being prevented by what he calls an over-restrictive government to do whatever his restless mind wants to do.

"What the (expletive) else am I going to do? I'm 88!" he said. "We have to do something."

rambone
11-25-2011, 02:00 AM
Good find. This is ridiculous.

BattleFlag1776
11-25-2011, 02:15 AM

Let me get this straight. Collateral damage in Iraq and Afghanistan is: A bad thing and is to be abhorred and avoided at all costs there. Yet collateral damage in the US of A is: Just a cost of doing business?

Sorry for the redundancy on my part but can someone please explain American exceptionalism to me again...

svobody
11-25-2011, 04:32 AM
f'ing douchebags. polar pure is a great product and makes backpacking so much simpler. unbelievable, DEA needs to be eradicated YESTERDAY

brandon
11-25-2011, 06:03 AM
holy shit. Wallace is the man.

phill4paul
11-25-2011, 07:44 AM
I think that this might be the 'money quote.'

We are fucking doomed if we don't turn this around...

specsaregood
11-25-2011, 08:43 AM
"These are the same knotheads that make you take your shoes off in the airport."
When asked about Wallace, the DEA -- which, in all fairness, does not provide security in airports -- responded in an email that some investigations revealed that methamphetamine labs were using Polar Pure.

Let me just be the first to say that either the author is retarded or considers his audience retarded. Seriously? You think we needed to have it pointed out that the DEA doesn't do airport security? Or did you actually ask them that?

"Weird-looking people, 'Beavis and Butt-Head'-types, were coming into camping stores and buying everything they had on the shelves," Camps said. "Then they would take off into the mountains and try to cook meth with it." The DEA reported agents found Polar Pure at a meth lab they dismantled in Tennessee two years ago.

The article is a bit confusing. Is iodine actually used in the cooking process? OR are these people buying up this product because they are forced to go off-grid to live/cook the meth as to avoid detection and need a way to purify the water found at the location for consumption? Interesting that they don't say specifically how it is used....

Yet collateral damage in the US of A is: Just a cost of doing business?
Sorry for the redundancy on my part but can someone please explain American exceptionalism to me again...
This might help: http://blog.nj.com/njv_paul_mulshine/2011/03/i_take_exception_to_american_e.html

In fact, it (American exceptionalism) was coined by a communist. In 1927, a leader of the American Communist Party by the name of Jay Lovestone used the term "American exceptionalism" to describe the way in which our economic system differed from the systems in other countries.

amy31416
11-25-2011, 09:31 AM
Have I ever mentioned that there was a chemical I couldn't get that was needed for cancer research because of the DEA? Their bullshit affects far more than campers.

I'm going to have to start a black market chemical manufacturing plant one of these days.

Pericles
11-25-2011, 09:59 AM
I'm going to have to start a black market chemical manufacturing plant one of these days.

I'd get in on that.

fisharmor
11-25-2011, 10:00 AM
Congratulations people, you now can't buy a fucking element your body needs to survive.
The next time someone guffaws at you for using the term "police state", this is really all you need to offer before the most righteously indignant STFU you can manage.

heavenlyboy34
11-25-2011, 10:20 AM
This might help: http://blog.nj.com/njv_paul_mulshine/2011/03/i_take_exception_to_american_e.html
and the Pledge of Allegence was written by a fascist...there may be a pattern here....

heavenlyboy34
11-25-2011, 10:21 AM
Congratulations people, you now can't buy a fucking element your body needs to survive.
The next time someone guffaws at you for using the term "police state", this is really all you need to offer before the most righteously indignant STFU you can manage.
Yep, that^^ Since heating elements are also used in meth labs, those should be outlawed too!! /sarcasm

specsaregood
11-25-2011, 10:23 AM
and the Pledge of Allegence was written by a fascist...there may be a pattern here....

In the freemarket of ideas, the republican pundits have decided to take the best lines from communists and fascists and weave them into a brand new hyper-douchebaggery form of punditry?

heavenlyboy34
11-25-2011, 10:43 AM
In the freemarket of ideas, the republican pundits have decided to take the best lines from communists and fascists and weave them into a brand new hyper-douchebaggery form of punditry?Yep. It's all part of The Big Lie. Repeat it often and brazenly enough, and people will believe it's true. :(

Anti Federalist
11-25-2011, 01:11 PM
In the freemarket of ideas, the republican pundits have decided to take the best lines from communists and fascists and weave them into a brand new hyper-douchebaggery form of punditry?

Homeland Security.

Because Motherland and Fatherland were already taken.

QuickZ06
11-25-2011, 01:19 PM

I agree 100%

Homeland Security.

LOL, darn.

heavenlyboy34
11-25-2011, 01:36 PM
Homeland Security.

LMAO!!! +rep

CCTelander
11-25-2011, 01:39 PM
Once again ...

...the police have NO DUTY to protect an innocent individual's rights and property. The courts in every jurisdiction throughout the US have universally upheld this position. Here's a whole thread on the topic:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=228509

Professional police forces do NOT exist to protect the rights and property of innocent individuals. They were NEVER intended for such a purpose. They exist solely and completely for the purpose of enforcing the will of the power elites, and protecting those power elites against YOU.

In other words they are, in effect, an occupational army whose sole purpose is to oppress YOU. Period.

They violate the rights of innocent individuals every day. They routinely taze, beat and kill innocent people. They destroy their property, bust down their doors, toss their premises and all this without even an apology. They throw innocent people in cages to be abused and raped. They regularly destroy the lives of innocents. They make false charges and then lie in court. The list of police abuses and usurpations goes on, and on, and on.

The cops ARE NOT your friends, EVER.

I'll bump the Myth of Police Protection thread yet again too.

flightlesskiwi
11-25-2011, 01:47 PM
Let me get this straight. Collateral damage in Iraq and Afghanistan is: A bad thing and is to be abhorred and avoided at all costs there. Yet collateral damage in the US of A is: Just a cost of doing business?

not American exceptionalism... Amerikan acceptionalism.

read: that paragraph contains both a great irony and a very large lie.

Rael
11-25-2011, 03:17 PM
his 85-year-old girlfriend

Not a phrase I hear often.

That man has a good sense of humor though.