PDA

View Full Version : Possible VP Candidates

YankeesJunkie
11-24-2011, 03:37 PM
I know it is early to think about VP candidates, but considering how Ron Paul is the most principled politician in the elections who do you think he would choose or be a good VP candidate. For me just off the top off my head would be Huntsman because even though they disagree on some issues the seem fairly constitutional in their issues. Just wondering what all you guys and gals think.

Sola_Fide
11-24-2011, 03:42 PM
Huntsman is not even close to constitutional.

JakeH
11-24-2011, 03:48 PM
I know it is early to think about VP candidates, but considering how Ron Paul is the most principled politician in the elections who do you think he would choose or be a good VP candidate. For me just off the top off my head would be Huntsman because even though they disagree on some issues the seem fairly constitutional in their issues. Just wondering what all you guys and gals think.

Out of the ones that are running for the nomination, Huntsman would seem to make the most sense. Gary Johnson would've made a decent running mate, but I understand that there's some issues between Paul and Johnson. I imagine Paul's running mate will be somebody from outside of the process to nominate the Republican candidate.

Todd
11-24-2011, 03:50 PM
Good grief......lol.....I'm starting to see why the idea of temp bans for these threads has come up

bluesc
11-24-2011, 03:54 PM
Good grief......lol.....I'm starting to see why the idea of temp bans for these threads has come up

Why? There is nothing in the rules against it, and they aren't exactly going to create the same thread after they already have once. Just merge or delete.

Uriah
11-24-2011, 04:01 PM
Huntsman is a NO.

pcosmar
11-24-2011, 04:07 PM

Doubtful.
4+ years of speculation, suggestion and no one has any real idea.
Ron will announce that when the time comes.

AGRP
11-24-2011, 04:13 PM
Its hard to find someone who legitimately believes in the rule of law and the constitution these days. Its too bad Chuck Baldwin doesn't have much experience. I like him a lot. Maybe Johnson but he's not that mainstream enough. Id like to see someone whos really popular. As of now, I think Rand would be a wise choice.

trey4sports
11-24-2011, 04:31 PM
i have a feeling it will be someone out of left field. Someone that hasn't been talked about much. Maybe someone like Fortun. Even then, nobody knows that much about the guy so it is really a toss up as to whether he believes in the same things that Ron does.

JakeH
11-24-2011, 04:37 PM
Well, there is this...

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11157087/1/ron-pauls-vp-propsect.html?cm_ven=GOOGLEN

Paul, a Texas congressman and critic of the Federal Reserve, mentioned a former New Jersey judge and current Fox News talk show host -- Andrew Napolitano -- as a potential running mate, in an interview with TheStreet's Alix Steel in Washington this week.

"If you had to pick one running mate, dead or alive, who would it be?" Steel asked the candidate.

Paul said he hadn't "thought that through ... but I sure do like Judge Andrew Napolitano."

Todd
11-24-2011, 04:38 PM
Why? There is nothing in the rules against it, and they aren't exactly going to create the same thread after they already have once. Just merge or delete.

Jk that I'd actually support one.....but this is around like the 6th thread on the subject recently.

bluesc
11-24-2011, 04:40 PM
Jk that I'd actually support one.....but this is around like the 6th thread on the subject recently.

People are beginning to realize Ron will be the nominee :)

JohnGalt1225
11-24-2011, 05:10 PM
I would love:the Judge, Peter Schiff, and Tom Woods. Huntsman is a no go. He always comes off as likable and reasonable especially on foreign policy but then when you look at his economic track record he's a no. He's a globalist statist. He's not a warmongering fascist to his credit, but a big government globalist.

JohnGalt1225
11-24-2011, 07:07 PM
Well, there is this...

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11157087/1/ron-pauls-vp-propsect.html?cm_ven=GOOGLEN

What if the whole purpose of the Constitution was to limit the government? What if Congress’ enumerated powers in the Constitution no longer limited Congress, but were actually used as justification to extend Congress’ authority over every realm of human life? What if the president, meant to be an equal to Congress, has become a democratically elected, term-limited monarch? What if the president assumed everything he did was legal, just because he’s the president? What if he could interrupt your regularly scheduled radio and TV programming for a special message from him? What if he could declare war on his own? What if he could read your emails and texts without a search warrant? What if he could kill you without warning?

What if the rights and principles guaranteed in the Constitution have been so distorted in the past 200 years as to be unrecognizable by the Founders? What if the states were mere provinces of a totally nationalized and fully centralized government? What if the Constitution was amended stealthily, not by constitutional amendments duly passed by the states, but by the constant and persistent expansion of the federal government’s role in our lives? What if the federal government decided whether its own powers were proper and constitutional?

What if you needed a license from the government to speak, to assemble or to protest the government? What if the right to keep and bear arms only applied to the government? What if posse comitatus — the law that prohibits our military from our streets — were no longer in effect? What if the government considered the military an adequate dispenser of domestic law enforcement? What if cops looked and acted like troops and you couldn’t distinguish the military from the police? What if federal agents could write their own search warrants in defiance of the Constitution? What if the government could decide when you weren’t entitled to a jury trial?

What if the government could take your property whenever it wanted it? What if the government could continue prosecuting you until it got the verdict it wanted? What if the government could force you to testify against yourself simply by labeling you a domestic terrorist? What if the government could torture you until you said what the government wanted to hear? What if people running for president actually supported torture? What if the government tortured your children to get to you? What if the government could send you to your death and your innocence meant nothing so long as the government’s procedures were followed? What if America’s prison population, the largest in the world, was the result of a cruel and unusual way for a country to be free? What if half the prison population never harmed anyone but themselves?

What if the people had no rights except those the government chose to let them have? What if the states had no rights except to do as the federal government commanded? What if our elected officials didn’t really live among us, but all instead had their hearts and their homes in Washington, D.C.? What if the government could strip you of your rights because of where your mother was when you were born? What if the income tax was unconstitutional? What if the states were convinced to give up their representation in Congress? What if the government tried to ban you from using a substance older than the government itself? What if voting didn’t mean anything anymore because both political parties stand for Big Government?

What if the government could write any law, regulate any behavior and tax any event, the Constitution be damned? What if the government was the reason we don’t have a Constitution anymore? What if you could love your country but hate what the government has done to it? What if sometimes to love your country, you had to alter or abolish the government? What if Jefferson was right? What if that government is best which governs least? What if I’m right? What if the government is wrong? What if it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong? What if it is better to perish fighting for freedom than to live as a slave? What if freedom’s greatest hour of danger is now?
http://www.crisismagazine.com/2011/when-the-constitution-doesnt-apply

The Judge would be a GREAT choice.

trey4sports
11-24-2011, 07:14 PM
http://www.crisismagazine.com/2011/when-the-constitution-doesnt-apply

The Judge would be a GREAT choice.

not from a political sense. He really adds nothing to the ticket, and he pulls from the exact same demographic that we already have. Politically, it would be a bad choice.

JohnGalt1225
11-24-2011, 07:35 PM
not from a political sense. He really adds nothing to the ticket, and he pulls from the exact same demographic that we already have. Politically, it would be a bad choice.
If Ron can get the nomination I worry not about "adding" to the ticket. Ron by himself is going to attract millions of independents and disaffected liberals/Democrats. I think picking someone like the Judge is fine, we can't pick some hardcore social conservative though that would alienate some of the crossover voters we're going to get. The Republican base will fall in line and vote for Ron because they hate Obama. The GOP base always falls in the line.

We need a candidate who operates on the same philosophical grounds as Dr. Paul. The reality is Ron is old and something could happen to him in office, or the Establishment could come after him. We need a candidate who will uphold liberty in that case. The Judge won't alienate anyone, besides we can always point out the fact that he had a Fox show. I think America would love his straightfoward take no nonsense approach.

cindy25
11-24-2011, 08:06 PM
Well, there is this...

the Judge has it all, regional and religious balance, ties with Fox, debating skills.

while Huntsman is not VP material he must be considered for Sect of State. I like the Team of Rivals idea. Gary Johnson should be encouraged to run for senate, and forget the personal issues.

It might be time soon for a VP candidate to be named (see Reagan 1976)

Liber Team
11-24-2011, 08:08 PM
pointless discussion, but mike lee

cindy25
11-24-2011, 09:27 PM
pointless discussion, but mike lee

Mike Lee, unfortunately, adds nothing: Utah and Mormons in general will vote Republican. The only reason to pick Mike Lee would be as a deal in a brokered convention for Romney delegates.

the Judge brings NJ, Catholics, Italian Americans

robert9712000
11-25-2011, 11:49 AM
The only guy i like as much as Ron Paul is Chuck Baldwin,but im sure that wouldnt happen

bill1971
11-25-2011, 03:01 PM
Sarah Palin.

Yes, I'm joking. Id go with Judge.

trey4sports
11-25-2011, 03:19 PM
If Ron can get the nomination I worry not about "adding" to the ticket. Ron by himself is going to attract millions of independents and disaffected liberals/Democrats. I think picking someone like the Judge is fine, we can't pick some hardcore social conservative though that would alienate some of the crossover voters we're going to get. The Republican base will fall in line and vote for Ron because they hate Obama. The GOP base always falls in the line.

We need a candidate who operates on the same philosophical grounds as Dr. Paul. The reality is Ron is old and something could happen to him in office, or the Establishment could come after him. We need a candidate who will uphold liberty in that case. The Judge won't alienate anyone, besides we can always point out the fact that he had a Fox show. I think America would love his straightfoward take no nonsense approach.

i don't buy it.

Ron will certainly pull many libs and indies but the GOP base will not automatically fall in line. Everyone talks about them needing our 20, well we need their 80. A good portion will just vote Republican but not all. There has not been this radical of a candidate get the nomination so it's really hard to say how many R's will just fall in line. If you have someone who tows the line then it's easy for folks to just fall in line but things like not supporting the civil rights act, ending the drug war, and not condeming Iran will have many traditional folks staying home.

The Judge will alienate more than anyone is willing to admit or they just don't know enough about him. He has said he doesn't want the VP nod, and I believe he has some personal issues he doesn't want in the limelight as well.

I think the Judge as VP is just a pipedream. It's not politically viable.

JohnGalt1225
11-25-2011, 06:20 PM
i don't buy it.

Ron will certainly pull many libs and indies but the GOP base will not automatically fall in line. Everyone talks about them needing our 20, well we need their 80. A good portion will just vote Republican but not all. There has not been this radical of a candidate get the nomination so it's really hard to say how many R's will just fall in line. If you have someone who tows the line then it's easy for folks to just fall in line but things like not supporting the civil rights act, ending the drug war, and not condeming Iran will have many traditional folks staying home.

The Judge will alienate more than anyone is willing to admit or they just don't know enough about him. He has said he doesn't want the VP nod, and I believe he has some personal issues he doesn't want in the limelight as well.

I think the Judge as VP is just a pipedream. It's not politically viable.
Someone should tell Ron that:

"If you had to pick one running mate, dead or alive, who would it be?" Steel asked the candidate.
Paul said he hadn't "thought that through ... but I sure do like Judge Andrew Napolitano."

trey4sports
11-25-2011, 06:24 PM
Someone should tell Ron that:

Andrew Napolitano has said he's not interested....

Created4
11-25-2011, 06:39 PM
Andrew Napolitano has said he's not interested....

It might be better to appoint him into the judicial system anyway. A key federal court somewhere. He would be opposed, but that typically happens anyway.

JakeH
11-25-2011, 06:47 PM
It might be better to appoint him into the judicial system anyway. A key federal court somewhere. He would be opposed, but that typically happens anyway.

Or as Attorney General.