PDA

View Full Version : [Turkey Day] Have you talked to your family about Dr. Paul?

QuickZ06
11-20-2011, 02:37 PM
So a Thanksgiving Day is right around the corner, which many of you like me will be speeding it with your family. So with that being said, how many of you plan to discuss Ron Paul and try to get some more voters on the Ron Paul side? Also what do you plan to discuss? The big thing I am wondering is, I know some families do not and won't discuss politics, which it kinda sad to me as discussing politics with different people is a great thing in my eyes. But I can see how some can cross the line and not control themselves which is truly the sad part.

Napolitanic Wars
11-20-2011, 02:43 PM
I know some families do not and won't discuss politics which it kinda sad to me as discussing politics with different people is a great thing in my eyes but I can see how some can get cross the line and not control themselves which is truly the sad part.

Yeah that's the worst. It sucks when there's something so important but others don't really care about it. Sometimes they're overly understanding, and you think your reaching them but your not. I suggest leading them into Ron Paul by using a segway:

"You know there's another holiday right after Thanksgiving? It's called Evacuation Day. It about the last of the British leaving Manhattan after the Revolution and freeing the starving POWs. There's a lot of relevance to that today. The country is on the brink of Revolution again. Ever hear of Ron Paul?"

Nate-ForLiberty
11-20-2011, 02:47 PM
Definitely talk politics with your families over Thanksgiving. It's what we SHOULD be doing. Not because of Ron Paul, but because that is what responsible people do in a free country.

freeforall
11-20-2011, 04:07 PM
i will have subtle swag with me. i'll talk about it if they bring it up until it seems like it may upset the cook - which it will.

Anti Federalist
11-20-2011, 04:24 PM
Meh, all the family already knows, in no uncertain terms, where I stand.

Hounding them does no good.

If they ask, I'll answer, but other than that, the hell with it.

Bruno
11-20-2011, 04:25 PM

Same

Sola_Fide
11-20-2011, 04:29 PM
I'm going to be doing a lot of this. I didn't do it enough in 08 and I feel guilty.

Dr.3D
11-20-2011, 04:39 PM
My family won't even invite me to Thanksgiving. It's been since 2007 since they have even spoken with me. And they call themselves Christian. Hypocrites!

Brian4Liberty
11-20-2011, 04:39 PM
Same

Me three.

Bruno
11-20-2011, 04:48 PM
My family won't even invite me to Thanksgiving. It's been since 2007 since they have even spoken with me. And they call themselves Christian. Hypocrites!

Sorry to hear that. Hope this season provides an oppotunity to reconnect with your family.

Czolgosz
11-20-2011, 04:51 PM
I don't like people who are friends/family that try and sell me on the multilevel marketing crap. If they ask, answer...but don't be annoying.

RDM
11-20-2011, 04:59 PM
Some of you may not be religious, but most families will say a Thanksgiving prayer before the meal. Have one prepared and request to do it since most don't like to volunteer. In the beginning just be thankful for everyone's health and well being and then begin to be thankful that in a time of turmoil and war, unemployment, etc, we are right now being blessed with a man who wishes to bring us back to a time our founding fathers had envisioned for us. I ask that you please bless Ron Paul as he slowly wins the hearts of millions. Amen.

You just opened the door for later discussion without being over bearing.

Dr.3D
11-20-2011, 05:02 PM
Sorry to hear that. Hope this season provides an oppotunity to reconnect with your family.

Well, my sister doesn't care who I voted for, but my brother does. My sister has invited me to her home this Thanksgiving. My brother and his family all believe Obama is wonderful.

QuickZ06
11-21-2011, 12:12 AM

Sorry to hear man.

QuickZ06
11-21-2011, 12:16 AM
Well my uncles house who we are going to Thanksgiving this year for is a big Ron Paul supporter, which I found out recently. So I'm sure we will discuss Ron Paul a bit. The rest of my family is dread between the rest of the GOP field. I find this a great opportunity to get some voters as I can discuss with them some of Ron Paul's views with them with my uncle there to back me up as well.

Romulus
11-21-2011, 12:31 PM
It's a neocon christmas around here!

JoshLowry
11-21-2011, 01:09 PM
http://i.qkme.me/35bym5.jpg

specialK
11-21-2011, 02:47 PM

Sounds like my family. I'm Canadian ( our thanksgiving was last month). I sent a Ron Paul vid wishing everyone a Happy Thanksgiving (one sister lives in the US and is republican). The responses I got back totally missed or dismissed RP's points about peace and noninterventionism or were pretty snotty about it. Ya, really nice "Christians". Happy Thanksgiving to you, too. And they wonder how I ended up becoming an atheist.

oyarde
11-22-2011, 11:54 AM
I had my Mother working on her stock broker this morning for Ron Paul :)

McChronagle
11-24-2011, 10:58 AM
Today seems to be a good opportunity to ask everyone this question. Our families are probably the easiest access to potential voters we can get. If your gathering around your family for the holiday keep Ron in the back of your mind and try and discuss the issues whenever you get the chance.

Show them videos tailored to what they are concerned about or are iffy about.

So have you talked to your family about Dr. Paul yet? ive shown my father, mother, grandma, grandpa, brother sister, two aunts and an uncle videos of Ron. They are all in amazement when i show them the prediction videos along with his clinton impeachment press conference. Spread the ideas of liberty!

ShaneEnochs
11-24-2011, 11:02 AM
Yes. I talk him up to all of my family, but unfortunately none of them vote, and can't be persuaded to vote.

McChronagle
11-24-2011, 11:08 AM
Spreading the good word is worth it even if they wont vote. If they can understand and agree with his views they can talk about it with others that may vote. Good work!

JakeH
11-24-2011, 11:15 AM
Absolutely, I've convinced my mother, stepfather, and brother to vote for him. Working on my dad next!

ElizabethR
11-24-2011, 12:23 PM
thanks for combining my thread... should have seen someone had a thread with the exact same title oops. i find that when i talk to people about the issues without mentioning ron it goes a long way. once you get some consensus and agreement that his ideas are best then you mention that ron shares the same views. happy thanksgiving!

heavenlyboy34
11-24-2011, 12:39 PM

Ditto.

sailingaway
11-24-2011, 12:45 PM
He always comes up, and they know I support him. We have some rabid Obamites in the family, though, so I try not to derail the entire holiday.

AggieforPaul
11-24-2011, 12:52 PM
I think it's kind of annoying to bring it up out of the blue. My family can't stand Obama thOugh and someone will probably bring him up. If they do I'll just star agreeing and then segue into Ron Paul.

KingRobbStark
11-24-2011, 01:09 PM
The best way to get votes for Ron Paul is to focus on your apathetic friends and family memebers. Most of us were apathetic before we supported RP.

Jbunker
11-24-2011, 01:41 PM
Everyone in my family knows I'm a huge Ron Paul supporter. They knew in 2007 too, and they all thought it was funny and didn't take me seriously. This year, they do take my opinion seriously and do not find it funny. I've even convinced a few to vote for him. I don't know if it's because I'm 20 now rather than 16, or because people are coming around to Ron Paul. Hopefully the latter!

Lomez
11-24-2011, 02:14 PM
Everyone in my family knows I'm a huge Ron Paul supporter. They knew in 2007 too, and they all thought it was funny and didn't take me seriously. This year, they do take my opinion seriously and do not find it funny. I've even convinced a few to vote for him. I don't know if it's because I'm 20 now rather than 16, or because people are coming around to Ron Paul. Hopefully the latter!

It's all fun and games until the economy crashes.

silk30
11-24-2011, 02:26 PM
I won't be having a thanksgiving this year due to my small family's work schedule. But on the positive side, it is not like I am missing an opportunity or anything for converts. I convinced my mother about Ron Paul, especially after I lightly pushed her into watching the "For Liberty" documentary and some other inspiring, truth telling RP vids. Her biggest hang-up was Iran and support for Israel. After I showed her some history of the U.S meddling in other countries affairs, bombing them, and how RP advocated zero foreign aid to ANY country due to our collapsing economy and flawed monetary system, she came around. Happy Thanksgiving everyone! :)

matt0611
11-24-2011, 05:36 PM
I talked to a few, but I've already been talking to them for the past 6 months or so.

So far I have on board with me about Ron Paul:

My uncle
My aunt
My other uncle
My mom
My grandmother

KramerDSP
11-24-2011, 05:51 PM
Here's my story. I have thanksgiving with my parents, brother, aunt, uncle, and two cousins every year. The uncle is a superintendent for the NJ school system. Two years ago, when the discussion of Ron Paul came up, they laughed at me when I talked about the Federal Reserve printing money and debasing our currency. They also said it was unrealistic to bring the troops home from around the world (even my cousin who served in Iraq said it was unfeasible).

After dinner today, my dad, uncle and I were watching football. My dad brought up that I had 300 YouTube subscribers now."On what?" said my uncle. I said most of the videos were abour Ron Paul. He said "You like Ron Paul?" in an interested way. I said "No. I love Ron Paul". They laughed and I was asked why. I said "he's honest, he says what he means and means what he says. The rest of them are all puppets who will say anything to get elected". He said "I don't like Obama, and I don't like the tea party, and I don't like Occupy Wall Street". I said "The country has not had a truly revolutionary figure since the Kennedy brothers and Dr. King in the 1960's". He said he liked Reagan and that Clinton was pretty good too and would run circles around Obama.

I said "the country has to change course" and my uncle then started talking about how Greece and Italy are bankrupt. I said "so are we, but we are spending like there is no tommorow". My uncle says "you know, what's happening is we're printing too much money and devaluing the dollar". I laughed in my head because two years ago when I said that, they all laughed at me. But I did not call him out and just agreed with what he said. I talked about how no one is serious about cuts and showed them this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWt8hTayupE

"So true" said my uncle. I said "Paul is the only one who will actually make the cuts we need and the only one who is not controlled by special interests in either party". I then showed them this brief video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciTalvqtrkc

My uncle nodded and said "You are very smart". We then talked about Trump giving the electio to Obama if he runs third party and about how Gingrich of today does not sound like the Gingrich of 10 years ago. I then shut up (thanks to learning from forum members that you never oversell) and we talked about football again.

My cousin was apparently sitting behind me the whole time. I asked him if he still talked to his military buddies, and he said yes. He said they did not talk about politics, so I told him that RP has the most support from the military than the rest of the field combined and even more than Obama himself. He said "wow, really?!? Hmmm". I left it at that.

Official tally equals 1 convert (father), two seeds planted (uncle and cousin). I KNOW the next time they hear his name, they will be paying attention.

EDITED TO ADD - On an aside, is Ron Paul not directly responsible for EVERYBODY saying we are now "printing too much money out of thin air". I suspect so. He has already won.

11-24-2011, 06:05 PM
We had the RP thanksgiving talk. My Mom has liked Ron for a while now. She'll go to rallies and listen. We're actually planning to do the March for Life in Washington with RP signs in Jan. I hope Ron will speak again. My uncle is a democrat. He really likes Ron's non-interventionist policy, but is worried about cutting the size of government. Maybe he'll come around.

jason43
11-24-2011, 06:33 PM
I went to a Thanksgiving party last night and wore my RP Hoodie, I probably had 10 different people come up and say they they are supporting him. All different ages, and people I hadnt talked to about him before. It was just a large group of mostly non-political friends, their parents, etc. But with the sweatshirt making the intro for a few political discussions, everyone bashed the other candidates and said Paul was the only one with any sense. I was very pleasantly surprised. I'm in Virginia too, not somewhere that has been pumped full of campaign ads. Everyone knew who he was, and all were supporting him.

KramerDSP
11-24-2011, 07:01 PM
Is it possible that there are millions of "sleeper agents" out there, 90% of whom are thinking "I love that guy, but he can't win"?

neverseen
11-24-2011, 07:16 PM
i wear a button all the time so it always sparks convo. Today was no different. Talked about him to the whole group. 1 was interested. It was a group of non voters though (extended family) oh well... still have 1 month to work on them before the cut off.

I did drop off a super brochure with my local groups links on it to the guy behind the counter at the gas station who noticed my button lol.

Hospitaller
11-24-2011, 07:27 PM
My brother and his family all believe Obama is wonderful.
Bring them into the fold

Alex540
11-24-2011, 07:42 PM
I went to a Thanksgiving party last night and wore my RP Hoodie, I probably had 10 different people come up and say they they are supporting him. All different ages, and people I hadnt talked to about him before. It was just a large group of mostly non-political friends, their parents, etc. But with the sweatshirt making the intro for a few political discussions, everyone bashed the other candidates and said Paul was the only one with any sense. I was very pleasantly surprised. I'm in Virginia too, not somewhere that has been pumped full of campaign ads. Everyone knew who he was, and all were supporting him.
I'm in Spotsylvania, pretty close to you. There are a lot of Ron Paul supporters around here.

I brought up Ron Paul tonight at dinner. My dad really likes him, and is gonna vote for him in the primary. My mom will probably vote for him too, she usually votes the same as my dad.

My grandparents are basically legit communists, they hate him. Not even gonna try to work on them.

MelissaCato
11-24-2011, 08:05 PM
Everyone's on Ron Paul's side except my sisters husband. :cool:

mport1
11-24-2011, 08:47 PM
So at dinner tonight my aunt out of the blue says "We need to talk. I'm now a fan of Ron Paul." We have talked over the years about politics and she had always disliked RP. Now she says she has taken a closer look at him and she said "I never thought I'd say this, but I really like Ron Paul." She said she started to come around to him after hearing all the other candidates and basically thinking they are all a bunch of phonies. She thinks Ron Paul has principle and she really likes his ideas.

She asked me for more information on him so she can better understand where he stands. I suggested Liberty Defined. Anybody think something else would be better? I though that book would be better than Revolution, A Manifesto since she really just wants a quick overview on where he stands on all the issues.

Also, she had one negative about him. First that he needs to get somebody to dress him better. She said his suits don't fit and it makes him look sad. Something we've all been saying for a long time.

SpicyTurkey
11-24-2011, 09:08 PM
We spoke about RP today. It was positive for the most part.

heavenlyboy34
11-24-2011, 09:17 PM
So at dinner tonight my aunt out of the blue says "We need to talk. I'm now a fan of Ron Paul." We have talked over the years about politics and she had always disliked RP. Now she says she has taken a closer look at him and she said "I never thought I'd say this, but I really like Ron Paul." She said she started to come around to him after hearing all the other candidates and basically thinking they are all a bunch of phonies. She thinks Ron Paul has principle and she really likes his ideas.

She asked me for more information on him so she can better understand where he stands. I suggested Liberty Defined. Anybody think something else would be better? I though that book would be better than Revolution, A Manifesto since she really just wants a quick overview on where he stands on all the issues.

Also, she had one negative about him. First that he needs to get somebody to dress him better. She said his suits don't fit and it makes him look sad. Something we've all been saying for a long time.
Aside from those books, I suggest Ron's article archive on LRC and his "Texas Straight Talk" recordings.

axlr
11-24-2011, 09:32 PM
My family spoke of him today. It started by someone calling him an isolationist.
At the end of the day, as that person was saying goodbye to me she said, "Maybe I will vote for Ron Paul"

specsaregood
11-24-2011, 09:50 PM
Uncle in law brought it up first saying, "you still supporting Ron Paul?"
Me: Of course.
Uncle in law: he's the only one that has a fscking clue about the economy, I wish i had listened to him last time because he called it dead-on.
This was then followed by head-nodding all around the table.

badger4RP
11-24-2011, 10:46 PM
I convinced them all in 08 to vote RP... not true believers. just Republicans and will vote republican no matter who it is. but at least I've got about 10 more votes in the primary.

speciallyblend
11-24-2011, 10:56 PM
I'm in Spotsylvania, pretty close to you. There are a lot of Ron Paul supporters around here.

I brought up Ron Paul tonight at dinner. My dad really likes him, and is gonna vote for him in the primary. My mom will probably vote for him too, she usually votes the same as my dad.

My grandparents are basically legit communists, they hate him. Not even gonna try to work on them.

i use to go to courtland high school hehe;) should of gave smaller portions to the grandparents and when they asked where their food was. You could of said you gave it the folks on the corner;) and stalin said you need to go on a diet anyway!:)

BIG_J
11-24-2011, 11:10 PM
my aunt walked in the door and her first word before even pouring herself a glass of wine was, "We need to talk about the GOP debates..."

I then said, along with my dad and twin brother, "Ron Paul is still the choice and said, "There are countries that have no army navy or air force and we are getting ready to go to war, we're broke."

She agreed, and then handed me back my books by Terry Goodkind (strong libertarian themes in his books) ...I then fixed her computer and she said..., "Ron Paul was on all the news shows this week, I think he can win"

Yes, of course he can.

seraphson
11-24-2011, 11:37 PM
My folks are convinced that though Ron Paul may be a good guy they don't believe he has the publicity to win. I let them know how well he's doing in the Polls but it more or less passes over their heads. I'm fairly positive that the rest of the family aren't even registered or haven't ever voted before. My brother in law is a big Ron Paul fan but my sister more or less patronizes us, in a joking way of course so we're not really offended or anything, we just laugh it off and I throw in a "I don't know, things could get pretty bad" type deal at the end. I believe this is the real problem. They *somewhat* (by this I mean barely) know that we're in a crappy economy. What they don't realize is that for the "super mega ultra depression" the "news" talks about everything to them seems like any other day. In other words, they can currently work to pay their bills and eat just fine. What they don't realize is that all the ammo is out (by the Fed, the banks, etc.) and it wouldn't take more than one business week for the economy to turn upside down for the final count. Sadly, until they can no longer afford to pay their bills and fill their stomachs they assume everything will be peachy from now until death. In my opinion I'm not even sure of the Eurozone can hold out for another year; and that disaster isn't limited to just them due to our too big to fail setup around the globe. When it becomes crunch time I think the we'll get serious about it.

bamafanmco
11-24-2011, 11:48 PM
Wow, I didn't read all the posts but they sound pretty positive. My family dreads me getting into a conversation with my uncle, I know that's bad. They force us to sit in separate rooms. I usually stay pretty quiet, but he knows my stances and will say stuff specifically to rile me up. We agree on most everything except foreign policy. Really he concedes most economic points to me, and lacks the same dedications and conviction in his positions. His stance is Democrats are trying to destroy the economy and Republicans are trying to save it. I can't shake him from the right/left paradigm.
But foreign policy, its bad, he wants preemptive war. He wants an eye on every part of the world and troops only a few miles away. He wants to dismantle China's economy. He doesn't understand foreign economic relations. He claims that oil in the Middle East is ours and we must protect it. And his response to my objections are, "your too young", "your uneducated", "you'll understand the need for military bases everywhere at a later age". I'm 24 and the only one in my family with a degree, a degree in economics mind you. While I concede that my beliefs may change in time, I'm fairly convinced that my commitment to the non-aggression axiom will not, certainly not to due a particular age or maturity.

I'm starting to rant. I'm glad for the successes, unfortunately my family is a losing cause.

jason43
11-25-2011, 01:35 AM

I grew up in Spotsy, right by the courthouse. Thats where the party was I was talking about... small world:)

Xenophage
11-25-2011, 01:39 AM
My entire family, mother, father, and two sisters are already just as nutty about Ron Paul as I am.

low preference guy
11-25-2011, 01:40 AM
My entire family, mother, father, and two sisters are already just as nutty about Ron Paul as I am.

Could you give us some clues on how the magic happened?

whoisjohngalt
11-25-2011, 02:51 AM
My uncle started attacking me and my cousin (who first introduced me to Ron) saying that we only liked Ron Paul because of his stance on drugs. My other cousin, the older brother of the first cousin, stated that all politicians are crooks and he would remain apathetic because he could never be convinced otherwise. This made me very sad. The good news is that my great uncle and aunt who are extremely old and conservative were telling me how much they like him because he wants to bring the troops home (their grandson has been in the Air Force overseas for some time now), but they went on to say that Newt was the smartest man up there. My immediate family kind of supports him because they know how much I love him, but in general I feel like I've failed with my family despite having a ton of success with people I barely know. Great to hear some positive stories.

Eric21ND
11-25-2011, 03:52 AM
Wow, I didn't read all the posts but they sound pretty positive. My family dreads me getting into a conversation with my uncle, I know that's bad. They force us to sit in separate rooms. I usually stay pretty quiet, but he knows my stances and will say stuff specifically to rile me up. We agree on most everything except foreign policy. Really he concedes most economic points to me, and lacks the same dedications and conviction in his positions. His stance is Democrats are trying to destroy the economy and Republicans are trying to save it. I can't shake him from the right/left paradigm.
But foreign policy, its bad, he wants preemptive war. He wants an eye on every part of the world and troops only a few miles away. He wants to dismantle China's economy. He doesn't understand foreign economic relations. He claims that oil in the Middle East is ours and we must protect it. And his response to my objections are, "your too young", "your uneducated", "you'll understand the need for military bases everywhere at a later age". I'm 24 and the only one in my family with a degree, a degree in economics mind you. While I concede that my beliefs may change in time, I'm fairly convinced that my commitment to the non-aggression axiom will not, certainly not to due a particular age or maturity.

I'm starting to rant. I'm glad for the successes, unfortunately my family is a losing cause.
Send him this Michael Scheuer interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEQviZPyeXk

jason43
11-25-2011, 11:51 AM

Pull the "gets the most from the military" card out and see what response that gets. I'm a veteran, most of the people waving flags and cheering for war that I've met can't say the same. I'd say a lot of Rons most passionate support comes from military and veterans. None of the other candidates have dozens and dozens of YouTube vids from veterans personally endorcing them.

Some people can't listen to reason and logic, it's fun to expose the hypocrisy and then I'd just walk away. There is no point arguing with someone who can't face facts and logic when they are presented.

ForLiberty2012
11-25-2011, 11:55 AM
I was sporting my Ron Paul hoodie

Anti Federalist
11-25-2011, 01:40 PM
He claims that oil in the Middle East is ours and we must protect it.

O'rly?

I would love to hear how you uncle justifies that statement.

affa
11-25-2011, 01:58 PM
my wife loves ron paul.

my dad is a staunch dem who i can cause to short circuit, but can't convince yet because he's a major proponent of the 'safety net' -- i think in part because he's financially responsible for my grandmother at this point (she's in her late 80s) and without something like social security he fears the worst -- he's completely against even being able to opt out, for fear of the future. i can get him to logical inconsistencies, or force him to admit he's voting for a warmongering president that will assassinate citizens like a despot.. and cause him to short circuit -- i know he's lost faith in the democratic party at some subconscious level, but i can't get him on board with Ron Paul yet. It's odd; i have my differences with RP, but I don't mind that. But certain topics are so ingrained in him that he can't see past something like 'opting out of SS' and realize that pales in comparison to bombing innocent people overseas (even though he's against war).

still working on him, when i can. fortunately, most dems i know are already leaning towards Ron Paul. though my mom still thinks he's 'unelectable' though that's just parroting something she heard.

ONUV
11-25-2011, 02:04 PM
I don't think you can convert neocons into non-interventionists in one thanksgiving meal. on the other hand i don't think you can open a progressives eyes to the free market in one thanksgiving meal.

PaleoPaul
12-17-2011, 02:24 PM
I've slowly converted my father to the cause since 2007.

He now supports Ron Paul, and even believes that many of his foreign policy stances make sense.

This is a change from a few years ago when he was a neo, mind you.