PDA

View Full Version : DOT Bans Hand-held Cellphones for Commercial Drivers

Southron
11-24-2011, 09:06 AM
http://www.landlinemag.com/todays_news/Daily/2011/Nov11/112111/112311-01.shtml

"Attention truckers and bus drivers. If you use a cellphone while driving and do not yet have hands-free technology, you could soon face a serious fine and possible disqualification once a new rule takes effect. U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood has announced the rule late this week, which prohibits the hand-held use of cellphones for CMV operators.

The latest action follows a 2010 rule that prohibits texting while driving a commercial vehicle, and it comes with the same set of fines and penalties – up to $2,750 for a driver and up to $11,000 for a carrier that enables or forces drivers to engage in the behavior. Multiple offenses can lead to a disqualification of a driver’s CDL.

The rule, authoredby the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration and Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration, applies to commercial operators engaged in interstate commerce as well as intrastate haulers of hazardous materials. LaHood made the announcement Wednesday, Nov. 23, and the rule will take effect 30 days after it is officially published to the Federal Register."

acptulsa
11-24-2011, 09:18 AM
There is a word that rhymes with 'trucking', and it describes what the DOT has been unnecessarily doing to truckers ever since it was created...

Southron
11-24-2011, 09:21 AM
There is a word that rhymes with 'trucking', and it describes what the DOT has been unnecessarily doing to truckers ever since it was created...

Yes and unfortunately, like with most regulations that only affect certain segments of the population, those unaffected could care less. :(

jkr
11-24-2011, 09:48 AM
DOT="mic" btw...

angelatc
11-24-2011, 11:04 AM
I haven't had intereaction with the DOT. Never really paid much attention to them. Last week a roofer came out to the house. I was floored to see that he had a DOT number on his truck. It's amazing that a guy who runs a small roofing business in Michigan has to register his truck with the federal government.

Anti Federalist
11-24-2011, 12:40 PM

That.

Yes and unfortunately, like with most regulations that only affect certain segments of the population, those unaffected could care less. :(

And that.

acptulsa
11-25-2011, 11:07 AM
I haven't had intereaction with the DOT. Never really paid much attention to them. Last week a roofer came out to the house. I was floored to see that he had a DOT number on his truck. It's amazing that a guy who runs a small roofing business in Michigan has to register his truck with the federal government.

It used to be vehicles in interstate transportation. Then it was vehicles in any kind of interstate commerce. Then it was any commercial vehicle that stood a snowball's chance of ever crossing a state line. Now I think it's every commercial vehicle, period, so pizza delivery boys beware.

And now you can't decorate a cake and sell it to a coworker at cost for their cousin's birthday without a federally inspected kitchen or it's a federal offence. But there's nothing stopping us from starting small businesses. Just ask Obama, he'll tell you that himself.

ZanZibar
11-25-2011, 12:20 PM
Land of the free

phill4paul
11-25-2011, 12:22 PM
Will this also apply to Mexican Nationals?

acptulsa
11-25-2011, 12:30 PM
Will this also apply to Mexican Nationals?

Probably not. I can't help but think our new Mexican truckers will be receiving diplomatic immunity...

Anti Federalist
11-25-2011, 12:53 PM
Probably not. I can't help but think our new Mexican truckers will be receiving diplomatic immunity...

Anti trade Marxist.

/s/

Anti Federalist
11-25-2011, 12:54 PM
So tell me, when are CB radios going to be banned?

(Truckers still use CB radios don't they?)

acptulsa
11-25-2011, 01:00 PM

They do. And hush.

Stop doing the Federalists' thinking for them. Yer givin' the bastards ideas.

Southron
11-25-2011, 01:03 PM

They can have my Stryker 490HP when they pry the mic from my cold dead hands?

flightlesskiwi
11-25-2011, 01:11 PM
one step closer...

Rael
11-25-2011, 03:11 PM
Good luck enforcing it. As high up as they are it can be hard to even see in the cab. A little window tint can do wonders as well.

nayjevin
11-25-2011, 04:19 PM
What an atrocious encroachment on liberty. In the name of security, of course.

If it is clearly proven that talking and driving is dangerous (I assume it is) and there is consensus that safe is good (of course there is), then trucking companies that ban the practice themselves will gain more marketshare and respect in the free market.

DOT, get out the way!