PDA

View Full Version : Bob Schieffer, Ron Paul and journalistic “objectivity

Xelaetaks
11-24-2011, 07:43 AM
http://www.salon.com/2011/11/24/bob_schieffer_ron_paul_and_journalistic_objectivit y/singleton/

Tina
11-24-2011, 07:54 AM
Good article.

acptulsa
11-24-2011, 08:02 AM
Good article from salon.com? What's the world coming to? I guess at least Salon thinks they still have a reputation to maintain.

I guess we should thank Shieffer for sitting there and augustly doubting the CIA as a source in all of his arrogant majesty. It certainly has awakened some people. The Westinghouse Broadcasting System no longer seems to even be trying to maintain the veneer of journalistic respectability. Edward Murrow would at least call a witch hunter a witch hunter, and Walt Cronkite would at least call an unwinnable war unwinnable, when ninety percent of the country had already figured it out on their own. Back then, at least they had enough sense to stop pushing the envelope before it was too late to prevent even a large fraction of the population from giving up on them as an objective source. Somewhere during the Dan Rather years they seem to have just abandoned all hope of being considered in a serious light.

airborne373
11-24-2011, 08:06 AM
Are we still pretending they are journalist?

kylejack
11-24-2011, 08:09 AM
Rats, you beat me by 12 minutes. I even searched. Weird.

kylejack
11-24-2011, 08:10 AM
Good article from salon.com? What's the world coming to? I guess at least Salon thinks they still have a reputation to maintain.
Glenn has always been like this. Glenn doesn't agree with Ron on everything, but with regard to foreign policy he is one of Ron's biggest cheerleaders.

JohnGalt23g
11-24-2011, 08:16 AM
How does one go about notifying CBS News executives about this article?

acptulsa
11-24-2011, 08:31 AM
How does one go about notifying CBS News executives about this article?

They know already.

Notify everyone you know who might still watch CBS about this article instead. That would actually do some good.

kylejack
11-24-2011, 08:32 AM
Finding the CBS Ombudsman is extremely hard. They seemed to have one in 2007, but I can't find a current one.

JohnGalt23g
11-24-2011, 08:34 AM
They know already.

Notify everyone you know who might still watch CBS about this article instead. That would actually do some good.

I know that they know.

What I want them to know is that we know, and that we know that they know.

acptulsa
11-24-2011, 08:35 AM
Finding the CBS Ombudsman is extremely hard. They seemed to have one in 2007, but I can't find a current one.

See that hard place over there? See the rock just past it? Look in between.

I know that they know.

What I want them to know is that we know, and that we know that they know.

They know all of that. What I want them to know is that we're telling everyone else, and that they've made their true colors obvious enough that everyone else is starting to believe us.

They'll figure that out soon enough, too. No need to warn them.

They are propagandists. Their reputation is only useful to them so far as it reduces resistance to their propaganda. They don't care if a small subset of the population knows they're propagandists. They expect that. They only care if a large subset of the population knows they're propagandists. And to be honest with you, I'd rather their reputation be destroyed before they even have a chance to salvage it, because as long as defense mogul Westinghouse owns the network that network's reputation can never do this nation a lick of good.

limequat
11-24-2011, 08:40 AM
Necessary reading for understanding why the media acts the way that it does.

TexMac
11-24-2011, 08:41 AM
They blow Glenn off the same way they blow Ron Paul off. Why do you think Glenn is writing in Salon.com and Ross Douthat is writing at the New York Times? Or look at someone like Daniel Larison, no mainstream establishment news outfit would hire him, but that little twit Ezra Klein gets a gig at WaPo.

Tod
11-24-2011, 08:43 AM
Comments below the article...... :rolleyes: :(

eduardo89
11-24-2011, 08:44 AM
Are we still pretending they are journalist?

They apprently are.

sailingaway
11-24-2011, 08:49 AM
Ron might want to think of using this phraseology (particularly the first point):

(1) American interference and aggression in the Muslim world fuels anti-American sentiment and was thus part of the motivation for the 9/11 attack; and (2) American hostility and aggression toward Iran (in the form of sanctions and covert attacks) are more likely to exacerbate problems and lead to war than lead to peaceful resolution, which only dialogue with the Iranians can bring about

he has ALMOST said the first, but using the concept 'fuels anti-American sentiment' it makes it clear there were other elements involved, as well.

Luciconsort
11-24-2011, 08:56 AM
im not sure if anyone remembers this but in the late 80's early 90's I was home sick from school and we were watching the news... Bob Schieffer broke in with some "breaking news" and after he got done they left the camera on by mistake. He just up and started goin into a laughing fit. I dont know why, but they left the camera on him for a least 30 seconds. I'll never forget it, as that was the second I lost all respect for him and CBS news. it was hilarious. what a douche.

acptulsa
11-24-2011, 09:15 AM
im not sure if anyone remembers this but in the late 80's early 90's I was home sick from school and we were watching the news... Bob Schieffer broke in with some "breaking news" and after he got done they left the camera on by mistake. He just up and started goin into a laughing fit. I dont know why, but they left the camera on him for a least 30 seconds. I'll never forget it, as that was the second I lost all respect for him and CBS news. it was hilarious. what a douche.

Damn, I wish I had seen that. I don't suppose you remember what the 'breaking news' was?

So many interesting things went down the Orwellian 'memory hole' before the advent of YouTube. No wonder the Powers that Be are so focused on bringing viral videos under control by trying to exercise copyright law on recordings of newscasts. YouTube put a hole in their memory hole where we can retrieve the things they'd rather we forget.

musicmax
11-24-2011, 09:25 AM
I'd love to see Greenwald as RP's press secretary.

KramerDSP
11-24-2011, 09:43 AM
I'd love to see Greenwald as RP's press secretary.

Nah. Attorney General. Sic him on Washington DC and tell him to go after the rot and corruption. Greenwald disagrees with Paul fiscally and could not sincerely defend him on all of his planks.

unknown
11-24-2011, 10:03 AM
http://www.salon.com/2011/11/24/bob_schieffer_ron_paul_and_journalistic_objectivit y/singleton/

Respect.

doctor jones
11-24-2011, 10:22 AM
It's not Salon it's Glenn Greenwald who writes whatever the fuck he wants w/o Salon's permission and is awesome.

Jeremy Tyler
11-24-2011, 10:41 AM
Great article! The comments under it are terrible though.

Luciconsort
11-24-2011, 10:54 AM
Damn, I wish I had seen that. I don't suppose you remember what the 'breaking news' was?

So many interesting things went down the Orwellian 'memory hole' before the advent of YouTube. No wonder the Powers that Be are so focused on bringing viral videos under control by trying to exercise copyright law on recordings of newscasts. YouTube put a hole in their memory hole where we can retrieve the things they'd rather we forget.

I can't remember.... apparently it wasn't that important lol I was too busy laughing.

KingNothing
11-24-2011, 11:12 AM

Greenwald is probably the best journalist in the word, and I say that without a hint of sarcasm or hyperbole. He's absolutely amazing. He unabashedly attacks those in power when they lie, cheat and steal, and he is equally tough on the subservient media that allows them to get away with it. Great guy, great journalist. I read everything he writes.

acptulsa
11-24-2011, 11:15 AM
I read everything he writes.

As should we all, just to help ensure he always has a forum from which to speak.

InTradePro
11-24-2011, 11:15 AM
http://www.cbs.com/info/user_services/fb_global_form.php

Regarding: Face the nation (Found near end of list)
Message type: Complaint

Your Message:

-----

CBS is part of CBS Corporation

CBS Corporation Key people:
Sumner Redstone (Executive Chairman)
Leslie Moonves (President & CEO)

http://www.cbscorporation.com/contact.php

CBS Headquarters
51 W. 52nd Street
New York, NY 10019-6188
1-212-975-4321