PDA

View Full Version : Italians want to cut debt but without sacrifices

Zippyjuan
11-23-2011, 03:05 AM
http://my.earthlink.net/article/int?guid=20111122/f465e999-338c-4c9d-97e0-2aa51c85751f
Same is true in all countries. The US too. Ask people if they favor cutting government spending and balancing the budget in an abstract sense and people will say yes, they are definately for it. But get into specifics of what to cut and they don't want to give up their favorite in the name of helping out. Cut somebody else. Raise somebody else's taxes. Balance the budget but don't do anything to me.

ROME (AP) — Few Italians are willing to make personal sacrifices — like retiring at age 67 instead of 65, or even earlier — though they believe cutting the country's public debt is a top priority, according to an AP-GfK poll released Tuesday.

And most Italians think the country should stay in the 17-nation eurozone even though the European Union is demanding such tough economic reforms.

A full 93 percent of Italians said reducing the public debt was either an "extremely" or "very important" goal for the government to tackle. Only 2 percent said it was "not too important" or "not at all important."

Yet, only about a quarter of Italians favor reforming labor laws to make it easier to fire workers, or raising the retirement age — considered critical to curb Italy's public spending and boost economic growth.

More at link.

DamianTV
11-23-2011, 06:16 AM
Might work if there was enough money in the world to pay off all the debt and interest in the world. But there isnt, so I'd suggest letting them only pay off the principal. Better yet, abolish their Central Bank and tell the Banksters to go piss into the wind for payment.