PDA

View Full Version : Father Shoots Gunman Holding Daughter At Gunpoint During Home Invasion

Rael
11-22-2011, 02:50 AM
HOUSTON—Richard Goodie is not the kind of father you want to mess with. A pair of suspects found that out the hard way Friday morning in a botched robbery in northwest Harris County.

It all started when Goodie’s 14-year-old daughter, Moriah, was headed to school around 6:30 a.m. Investigators said she’d just locked up her home and was walking down the sidewalk when she was approached by two men.

"She was approached by two black males. One with a pistol grabbed her around the neck and had her in a choke hold, and held the pistol to her head," Lt. Jeff Stauber of the Harris County Sheriff’s Office said.

Luckily for Moriah, Richard Goodie heard the commotion. He grabbed his handgun and fired a warning shot, but the suspect still wouldn’t let Moriah go.

"The gentlemen that had her around the neck said he was going to kill her if [the father] did not back away. [The suspect] started dragging the young girl into the street. There was some separation, and at that point the daddy was able to fire one shot at the suspect," Stauber said.

Richard Goodie’s shot struck the suspect in the abdomen, causing him to let go of Moriah. The second suspect fled the scene.

"It was scary. It was scary. But I had to do what I had to do. He was jeopardizing my daughter’s life, my life. So I had to do what I had to do," Richard Goodie said.

Thankfully, Moriah was not hurt.

"My dad did what he had to do, but I’m good," she said.

The injured suspect, later identified as Matthew Hendricks, was airlifted to Memorial Hermann. He is expected to survive.

Police said a third suspect – the teen's mother – was arrested when she pulled up to the scene in a car. Investigators said she and the injured suspect have both been charged with aggravated robbery, but they would not comment any further on what the mother's role might have been.

http://www.khou.com/news/crime/Deputies-Suspect-shot-during-home-invasion-in-NW-Harris-County-134112578.html

GunnyFreedom
11-22-2011, 03:03 AM
"yo ma, how bout you drive the car so's we can snatch up our next rape victim?" SMH

ETA -- that's one hell of a thing to fire a shotgun and hit an assailant that has your daughter in a choke hold. A pistol or a rifle I can see without any problem, but that man must have loaded slugs or had the choke down tight to be willing to take that risk... :eek:

kah13176
11-22-2011, 03:10 AM
"yo ma, how bout you drive the car so's we can snatch up our next rape victim?" SMH

ETA -- that's one hell of a thing to fire a shotgun and hit an assailant that has your daughter in a choke hold. A pistol or a rifle I can see without any problem, but that man must have loaded slugs or had the choke down tight to be willing to take that risk... :eek:

It said handgun, lol.

GunnyFreedom
11-22-2011, 03:12 AM
It said handgun, lol.

OH lol dunno why I saw shotgun. Must be late.... I'll blame it on sleep deprivation. Yeah, that works...

Hospitaller
11-22-2011, 03:34 AM
it really isnt like the movies.

scrosnoe
11-22-2011, 03:57 AM
What if dad had not had a gun handy? No time to call the cops...

GunnyFreedom
11-22-2011, 04:18 AM

Nothing is like the movies. Armed defense least of all. Good guys don't hit every target from a mile away with a single shot, and bad guys don't miss with 500 rounds from 10 foot away. Shyt doesn't slow down it speeds up. Nothing is neat and packaged, it's messy and ugly.

John F Kennedy III
11-22-2011, 04:20 AM
This is the last straw. I now fully support disarming all citizens :rolleyes:

squarepusher
11-22-2011, 04:25 AM
Afaik, its illegal for a citizen to fire on someone to protect another. Only police officers are allowed to do this.

Diurdi
11-22-2011, 04:29 AM
Afaik, its illegal for a citizen to fire on someone to protect another. Only police officers are allowed to do this. Self defense applies to defending others as well.

gerryb
11-22-2011, 04:31 AM

This article suggests otherwise!

123tim
11-22-2011, 04:45 AM
OH lol dunno why I saw shotgun. Must be late.... I'll blame it on sleep deprivation. Yeah, that works...

It was the wording. I read it twice and still got shotgun. :)

He grabbed his handgun and fired a warning shot

123tim
11-22-2011, 04:49 AM
It was the wording. I read it twice and still got shotgun. :)

IMO, we're conditioned to think that people protect their family with a shotgun in a situation like this. My mind instantly picked out "gun" and "shot" and put the two together. ( At least that's what I think happened.)

dillo
11-22-2011, 05:10 AM
What if dad had not had a gun handy? No time to call the cops...

even if the cops came, they would have been too busy violating the victims civil rights to stop any real crimes.

klamath
11-22-2011, 07:30 AM
Unfortunately he needed to do a double tap on both of them because now they are probably going to press charges against him.

Warrior_of_Freedom
11-22-2011, 07:48 AM
He got airlifted? They should have left him to die.

muzzled dogg
11-22-2011, 07:58 AM
Sounded like the movies to me

raystone
11-22-2011, 08:11 AM

"There was some separation, and at that point the daddy was able to fire one shot"

MikeStanart
11-22-2011, 08:32 AM
Unfortunately he needed to do a double tap on both of them because now they are probably going to press charges against him.

I agree. However, no jury will give these scumbags a second thought.

pcosmar
11-22-2011, 08:38 AM
I agree. However, no jury will give these scumbags a second thought.

That has not been the case,, often.

pcosmar
11-22-2011, 08:39 AM
One Vote for "Daddy of the Year".

:D

Philhelm
11-22-2011, 09:11 AM
He got airlifted? They should have left him to die.

While I don't exactly disagree with you, that is a dangerous route to take and contrary to the philosophy of liberty. He should have his day in court.

Athan
11-22-2011, 09:21 AM
The anti-gun liberals will probably want the father arrested and the thug freed.

Pericles
11-22-2011, 01:35 PM
That was some gun control, right there!