PDA

View Full Version : TN - Starting new FEDERAL program, "More Cops. More Stops."

Anti Federalist
11-20-2011, 02:02 PM
Well, gee whiz, I feel safer already.

Nothing but happy thoughts, since I would never want to "collectivize" our brave boys in blue, that keep us safe night and day.

Tennessee To Start ‘More Cops, More Stops' Campaign

Posted: Nov 18, 2011 7:28 AM CST
Updated: Nov 18, 2011 8:17 AM CST

http://www.newschannel5.com/story/16073458/tennessee-to-start-more-cops-more-stops-campaign

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Tennessee is one of two states that get to test out a new federal plan to make the roads safer.

The Tennessee Governor's Highway Safety Office is partnering with the U.S. Department of Transportation, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and Tennessee law enforcement agencies for the plan.

The new campaign, called "More Cops, More Stops", will work to reduce drunk driving, boost seat belt use, and crack down on speeding and distracted driving.

Officers will target more roads by creating extra DUI check-points and beefing up staff. There will be extra officers on the roads patrolling through Thanksgiving.

More details will be released at a press conference at the Bicentennial Capitol Mall State Park. It starts at 1:00 p.m. Friday.

Nearly one-third of those killed on Tennessee's highways during 2009 involved drunk drivers. Sixty percent of people killed in crashes in Tennessee during 2009 were not wearing their seatbelts.

Travlyr
11-20-2011, 02:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTeH9D_tN-k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTeH9D_tN-k

pcosmar
11-20-2011, 02:15 PM
2/3 of those killed were not killed by drunk drivers.
40% of those killed on crashes WERE wearing seat belts.
http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/departments/nrd-30/ncsa/stsi/47_TN/2009/47_TN_2009.htm
And between 2005 and 2009 there has been a steady drop in traffic fatalities,
Why are more cops needed again?

Nate-ForLiberty
11-20-2011, 02:19 PM
I don't know how these people stand their job anymore. If I was a cop I would have quit years ago.

Keith and stuff
11-20-2011, 03:03 PM
I used to like TN. I used to enjoy going to TN. Oh, how the times change :(

TN used to have somewhat of a freedom culture. Sales and other state taxes used to be lower but the former Republican gov. Don Sundquist worked hard to create an income tax. His efforts failed but he did manage to get the largest tax increase in TN history passed and it really damaged the culture of freedom in TN. Auto insurance used to be optional in TN but TN didn't like that. There used to be illegal slot machines in bars all over TN. The slot machines were usually ignored by cops. However, when TN voters voted to create a a state lottery, the government went to the bars and took the slot machines. TN towns and cities are now covered with red light camera.

With Republicans in complete control in TN, things have taken a turn for the worse this year.
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?301596-States-pass-new-auto-regulations-NH-bucks-trend

3 feet for bicyclists and/ or pedestrians law in TN
Offensive or obscene bumper stickers law in TN
Switch lanes for utility vehicles law in TN

Let's not forget the TSA working with TN stronger than it seems to be working with every other state thanks to the Republicans that control TN.
http://www.newschannel5.com/story/15725035/officials-claim-tennessee-becomes-first-state-to-deploy-vipr-statewide

TN may get a new first next year. It looks like the legislature may make TN the first state where it is illegal to teach kids in public schools about gays.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/20/tennessee-teaching-homosexuality-ban_n_864895.html

Anti Federalist
11-20-2011, 03:14 PM
I'd like to know why I can't generate any outrage in NH over federally funded surveillance towers being erected all along the southern half of Rt. 16.

That, of course, go through a private company and get disseminated to god knows what alphabet soup agencies.

Since the spy company, ASTI, is based in Bethesda MD, I'm not at all happy about where I think it's going.

I used to like TN. I used to enjoy going to TN. Oh, how the times change :(

TN used to have somewhat of a freedom culture. Sales and other state taxes used to be lower but the former Republican gov. Don Sundquist worked hard to create an income tax. His efforts failed but he did manage to get the largest tax increase in TN history passed and it really damaged the culture of freedom in TN. Auto insurance used to be optional in TN but TN didn't like that. There used to be illegal slot machines in bars all over TN. The slot machines were usually ignored by cops. However, when TN voters voted to create a a state lottery, the government went to the bars and took the slot machines. TN towns and cities are now covered with red light camera.

With Republicans in complete control in TN, things have taken a turn for the worse this year.
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?301596-States-pass-new-auto-regulations-NH-bucks-trend

3 feet for bicyclists and/ or pedestrians law in TN
Offensive or obscene bumper stickers law in TN
Switch lanes for utility vehicles law in TN

Let's not forget the TSA working with TN stronger than it seems to be working with every other state thanks to the Republicans that control TN.
http://www.newschannel5.com/story/15725035/officials-claim-tennessee-becomes-first-state-to-deploy-vipr-statewide

TN may get a new first next year. It looks like the legislature may make TN the first state where it is illegal to teach kids in public schools about gays.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/20/tennessee-teaching-homosexuality-ban_n_864895.html

Keith and stuff
11-20-2011, 03:34 PM
I'd like to know why I can't generate any outrage in NH over federally funded surveillance towers being erected all along the southern half of Rt. 16.

I think some people don't like that. However, I think most don't care as they are used to smart traffic camera systems. My understanding is they are on many interstate and toll road systems through out the nation. I know I've seem them in TN, NJ and a bunch of states.

The systems are sold to the public as a way to improve traffic flow, improve response time to accidents and so on. Do the systems actually do that? I don't know but the ideas do sound reasonable if you don't bother to investigate them, IMO.

Remember when the I-95 toll in that area was changed from a slow down toll to one where you can travel through it at full speed recently? Well, so do the rest of the people that live in the area. The people saw the government improve the toll road. Many of the people in the area likely think this is the government improving a toll road again.

http://www.bradenton.com/2011/03/27/3064935/i-75-in-line-for-smart-upgrade.html

The system will include sensors embedded in the road, closed-circuit TV cameras mounted on poles, and overhead electronic signs installed at various locations, all linked by fiber-optic cable, officials said.

Its goal: to better monitor and improve traffic flow, give drivers real-time information on traffic and weather conditions, help emergency crews respond quicker to crashes and make hurricane evacuations more orderly.

“It’s a way of improving transportation without spending a lot of money on extra lanes,” said Michael Howe, executive director of the Sarasota/Manatee Metropolitan Planning Organization.

AFPVet
11-20-2011, 03:48 PM
I am seriously considering getting back on with my sheriff's office as a peace officer in order to make sure that other officers are obeying the Supreme Law of the Land! As an Oathkeeper (not affiliated with the organization), I will refuse and report all illegal orders in addition to halting unlawful activity by other officers. Any such activity will be reported directly to the Sheriff.

Sheriff's need to start refusing these federal programs. They need to expand their volunteer (reserve/axillary) programs in order to eliminate the need for federal funds. We had to buy our own firearms and gear... we were not paid but volunteer. This would free up an enormous amount of funding which could be used for the county without taking the governments money.

Anti Federalist
11-20-2011, 03:52 PM
And a little more freedom is lost.

Makes me sick just driving by them.

But, then again, that whole project on 16 makes me sick.

I think some people don't like that. However, I think most don't care as they are used to smart traffic camera systems. My understanding is they are on many interstate and toll road systems through out the nation. I know I've seem them in TN, NJ and a bunch of states.

The systems are sold to the public as a way to improve traffic flow, improve response time to accidents and so on. Do the systems actually do that? I don't know but the ideas do sound reasonable if you don't bother to investigate them, IMO.

Remember when the I-95 toll in that area was changed from a slow down toll to one where you can travel through it at full speed recently? Well, so do the rest of the people that live in the area. The people saw the government improve the toll road. Many of the people in the area likely think this is the government improving a toll road again.

http://www.bradenton.com/2011/03/27/3064935/i-75-in-line-for-smart-upgrade.html

Travlyr
11-20-2011, 05:43 PM
I am seriously considering getting back on with my sheriff's office as a peace officer in order to make sure that other officers are obeying the Supreme Law of the Land! As an Oathkeeper (not affiliated with the organization), I will refuse and report all illegal orders in addition to halting unlawful activity by other officers. Any such activity will be reported directly to the Sheriff.

Sheriff's need to start refusing these federal programs. They need to expand their reserve forces in order to eliminate the need for federal funds.

Sheriff's departments are the key.

aGameOfThrones
11-20-2011, 06:01 PM
So... More revenue/theft schemes?

Feeding the Abscess
11-20-2011, 06:05 PM
More Cops. More Stops? What the fuck is this? Kindergarten?

donnay
11-20-2011, 06:13 PM

Sheriff's need to start refusing these federal programs. They need to expand their reserve forces in order to eliminate the need for federal funds.

I would encourage you to do that! A lot of sheriffs have been brainwashed and do not know they have the power to throw the feds out of their areas, if they are doing unlawful and unconstitutional things.

I would suggest that everyone get a copy of Sheriff Macks book; "America's Last Hope." Send them as Christmas gift to your local sheriffs. It will be the best gift you can give someone this year--a chance to open their eyes and see what we see!!

http://sheriffmack.com/index.php/books-by-richard-mack

flightlesskiwi
11-20-2011, 06:21 PM
More Cops. More Stops? What the fuck is this? Kindergarten?

well, reading comprehension in amerika is abysmally low these days thanks to our indoctr education system.

i live nowhere near TN, but i'm glad i don't have to drive anywhere for thanksgiving. gonna be cooking and drinking that day. heaven forbid i give the cops a revenue stream from my pocket to their coffers.

nobody's_hero
11-20-2011, 06:38 PM

Better yet, run for sheriff.

Johnny Appleseed
11-20-2011, 06:43 PM
I gotta feeling the American people are gonna wake up to the Good Dr. but in the of chance I'm wrong I feel I will have to declare the state a domestic enemy of the people.

HOLLYWOOD
11-20-2011, 06:50 PM
This Tennesse Section of I-40 maintained by

Stagecoach Robbers

http://library.thinkquest.org/04oct/01737/images/use/page_titles/stagecoach_robbery.gif

Travlyr
11-20-2011, 06:51 PM
This Tennesse Section of I-40 maintained by

Stagecoach Robbers

http://library.thinkquest.org/04oct/01737/images/use/page_titles/stagecoach_robbery.gif

qft!

phill4paul
11-20-2011, 07:04 PM
http://www.outlawsandhighwaymen.com/images/thumbnails/tn_head.jpg

BattleFlag1776
11-20-2011, 11:35 PM
The new campaign, called "More Cops, More Stops", will work to reduce drunk driving, boost seat belt use, and crack down on speeding and distracted driving.

What the hell is distracted driving?

Anti Federalist
11-20-2011, 11:37 PM

Whatever we say it is, Mundane!

Now, move along, before I give a ya wood shampoo.

donnay
11-20-2011, 11:56 PM

Cop's flashing lights are a huge distraction and blinding at night when they pull people over to write them a ticket! I say we make citizens arrest!

BattleFlag1776
11-21-2011, 12:11 AM
Whatever we say it is, Mundane!

Now, move along, before I give a ya wood shampoo.

I thought the same thing. Turns out it is a Federal program. Here's the dope:

http://www.distraction.gov/
There are three main types of distraction:
Visual — taking your eyes off the road
Manual — taking your hands off the wheel
Cognitive — taking your mind off what you’re doing

Distracted driving is any non-driving activity a person engages in that has the potential to distract him or her from the primary task of driving and increase the risk of crashing. While all distractions can endanger drivers’ safety, texting is the most alarming because it involves all three types of distraction.
Other distracting activities include:
Using a cell phone
Eating and drinking
Talking to passengers
Grooming
Reading, including maps
Using a PDA or navigation system
Watching a video
Changing the radio station, CD, or Mp3 player.

God help the good people of TN this week.

Brian4Liberty
11-21-2011, 12:36 AM
Here's a better idea:

The Plan:

There is nothing worse than a corrupt police officer -- just look at the comment section under any taser video on YouTube. Unfortunately for the citizens of the country of Georgia, that was pretty much the only flavor their traffic cops came in. In 2004, things had gotten so bad that the newly elected President Mikheil Saakashvili made it his mission to stop the police from harassing his people.

Saakashvili didn't mess around, either. He fired all the heads of law enforcement and threatened that any traffic cop caught harassing civilians, taking bribes or generally behaving all uppity would be fired or arrested. The police force scoffed at the attempts of this puny "president" person and behaved exactly like they always had, confident that Saakashvili wouldn't touch them. So, the very next day after this announcement, when a whopping 15,000 cops were caught taking bribes, Saakashvili fired every single one of them.

Then, a couple of weeks later, another 15,000 police officers were caught participating in shenanigans. So he fired them, too. With 30,000 corrupt officers freshly in the unemployment line, Saakashvili had finally succeeded. The police department was finally clean! Huzzah! Only, there was one little problem. There were no traffic cops left.

Oh, and the firings took place around the holidays, when drinking and driving tends to be an even worse problem than during the rest of the year. It had the makings of Worst Idea Ever.

How It Worked:

The whole country of Georgia promptly fell into a drunken reenactment of Mad Max that is still going on today. Ha, just kidding! Instead of indulging in a nationwide game of bumper cars, everything went just fine -- in fact, even better than normal. And we don't mean that the citizens held themselves together for a couple of days until new cops could be hired. They were without police for three freaking months. And it was fine.

Saakashvili's administration quickly realized this was because it had been the cops causing most of the trouble all along. A remnant from the Soviet era, they'd treated the roads as their personal piggy bank, administering their very own brand of expensive justice at will and causing mob-style chaos as they did. When they were taken out of the equation, not even a hint of disorder was left because they had been the disorder.

It took three whole months to find enough reliable replacements, but with some help from the United States in recruiting and training the new police force, Georgia got back to normal.

Read more: 5 Terrible Ideas That Solved Huge Global Problems | Cracked.com http://www.cracked.com/article_19489_5-terrible-ideas-that-solved-huge-global-problems.html#ixzz1d4qSKMAE

Anti Federalist
11-21-2011, 12:42 AM
There were no traffic cops left.

Oh, and the firings took place around the holidays, when drinking and driving tends to be an even worse problem than during the rest of the year. It had the makings of Worst Idea Ever.

How It Worked:

The whole country of Georgia promptly fell into a drunken reenactment of Mad Max that is still going on today. Ha, just kidding! Instead of indulging in a nationwide game of bumper cars, everything went just fine -- in fact, even better than normal. And we don't mean that the citizens held themselves together for a couple of days until new cops could be hired. They were without police for three freaking months. And it was fine.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/--bLPMy_19C4/Tf41RZBu-LI/AAAAAAAAAEQ/ZeQKuN9S-Eg/s1600/everything_went_better_than_expected_RE_Few_Memes_ To_Make_You_Smile-s509x385-155629-580.jpg

aGameOfThrones
11-21-2011, 12:43 AM

Distracted driving is any non-driving activity a person engages in that has the potential to distract him or her from the primary task of driving and increase the risk of crashing. While all distractions can endanger drivers’ safety, texting is the most alarming because it involves all three types of distraction.
Using a cell phone
Eating and drinking
Talking to passengers
Grooming
Reading, including maps
Watching a video

Watching all political signs...oops that's allowed.

Watching the cops watching you cause you don't want to get stop for being distracted.

And

Watching cars with promotions(private/government) on the side of their doors...oops that's allowed too. Revenue, revenue, revenue.

BattleFlag1776
11-21-2011, 12:48 AM
Watching all political signs...oops that's allowed.

Watching the cops watching you cause you don't want to get stop for being distracted.

And

Watching cars with promotions(private/government) on the side of their doors...oops that's allowed too. Revenue, revenue, revenue.

Yep.
Judge: "What is the charge?"
Officer: "Your Honor, he was reading."

aGameOfThrones
11-21-2011, 12:53 AM
Yep.
Judge: "What is the charge?"
Officer: "Your Honor, he was reading."

Or

Judge: what is the charge?

Officer: he was watching those signs that tell you where to go.

Judge: didn't We the government put those up?

Officer: yeah, what's your point?

Judge: you're right, 30 days in jail and a $1000 fine.

Travlyr
11-21-2011, 06:23 AM
I pulled this quote from this thread (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?331378-Any-statist-care-to-defend-this-Gov.-Goons-pepper-spray-seated-protesters.&p=3760704&viewfull=1#post3760704).

I beg to differ. I have no problems with police, because I do nothing wrong, and they don't mess with people who don't look for trouble.
I've never phoned them, but when I see them on the street, they don't harass me, because I give them no reason to.
I don't care what you think about "police protection" unless you have a working alternative, your imaginationland doesn't count.

I'm sure there's lots of Oath Keepers here who would appreciate your undermining their efforts to work with law enforcement.
I wonder if Becker is ever guilty of any of these infractions,

Using a cell phone
Eating and drinking
Talking to passengers
Grooming
Reading, including maps
Watching a video

Revolution9
11-21-2011, 06:43 AM

Do it Sir. WE need folks like you in our county Sheriffs office.

Rev9

HOLLYWOOD
11-21-2011, 07:46 AM

Sheriff's need to start refusing these federal programs. They need to expand their reserve forces in order to eliminate the need for federal funds.This is true... I know a few law enforcement, Fire/First Aid workers... the conversations I have had with all of them trend on one thing... The complete control of city/county/state entities through "Free Funding" bribery by the FEDS. Do what we say and we at the federal level will send you grants, money, equipment. Want those special SWAT gear, new police interceptors, fire/first aid vehicles, weapons, etc... work with what we say.

The FED TOTALITARIAN BORG uses the people's money to oppress the people through their tentacles indirectly through local agencies. It's bribing cash strapped states/counties/cities and none of them have said no to the free DHS/FEMA/etc operations.

PS: The POLICE STATE over the past 20 years has grown 25% above population growth... so right there is an indication of what is happening.

flightlesskiwi
11-21-2011, 08:23 AM

Using a cell phone
Eating and drinking
Talking to passengers
Grooming
Reading, including maps
Watching a video

i'm not relieved to know that the feds are blantantly touting thoughtcrime.

two scenarios: either the policy makers are well read and really are taking Orwellian ideas from his books and implementing them; or the policy makers are not well read and life mimics art. either way, Orwell it is.

AFPVet
11-21-2011, 10:30 AM
I would encourage you to do that! A lot of sheriffs have been brainwashed and do not know they have the power to throw the feds out of their areas, if they are doing unlawful and unconstitutional things.

I would suggest that everyone get a copy of Sheriff Macks book; "America's Last Hope." Send them as Christmas gift to your local sheriffs. It will be the best gift you can give someone this year--a chance to open their eyes and see what we see!!

http://sheriffmack.com/index.php/books-by-richard-mack

Well said! I agree... sheriffs who are not on board yet need to read his book!

Better yet, run for sheriff.

Yep... been thinking about it ;)

AFPVet
11-21-2011, 10:35 AM
Do it Sir. WE need folks like you in our county Sheriffs office.

Rev9

Thank you sir!

nobody's_hero
11-21-2011, 10:36 AM
Yep... been thinking about it ;)

Don't think, just do it, lol.

AFPVet
11-21-2011, 10:42 AM
Don't think, just do it, lol.

Yeah... I have to wait unto 2014 though for the incumbent's term to expire.

Brian4Liberty
11-21-2011, 11:59 AM

Interesting. Just from observation I would guess that at least half of all drivers are not paying attention to their driving. Their minds are obviously far away from the task at hand.

TNforPaul45
11-21-2011, 01:18 PM
My state no longer believes in freedom. Ever since Bill Haslam was elected, it has descended into tyranny. So very sad.

acptulsa
11-21-2011, 02:24 PM

Distracted driving is any non-driving activity a person engages in that has the potential to distract him or her from the primary task of driving and increase the risk of crashing.

Like operating a two-way radio? Reading license numbers? Looking them up on a computer? Squinting at the expiration dates? Operating a motion RADAR set? Having a barking sniffer dog right behind your right ear? Trying to see what people are doing behind their tinted windows?

Travlyr
11-21-2011, 02:33 PM
Like operating a two-way radio? Reading license numbers? Looking them up on a computer? Squinting at the expiration dates? Operating a motion RADAR set? Having a barking sniffer dog right behind your right ear? Trying to see what people are doing behind their tinted windows?

no ... No ... NO! Diplomatic Immunity!

acptulsa
11-21-2011, 02:35 PM
no ... No ... NO! Diplomatic Immunity!

Tell it to the deer that just took out his official heavy duty radiator.