PDA

View Full Version : Fire victims need help

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
11-20-2011, 11:37 AM
It recently came to my attention that there was a devastating apartment complex fire in the Kansas City area that resulted in some dear friends of a forum member losing literally everything. Things are so dire that they need clothes, shoes, OTC medications, diapers, etc. Now we are always pushing how private charity operates faster and ends up providing better than government charity so let's put up or shut up. These people are dear to a member of our liberty family and all politics aside, they are human beings at their lowest who could use a helping hand as we enter into the holiday season. The items most needed are as follows:

Kids: 5t and 2t boys, 2t girls, mens 2x, 3x, mens shoes 12, 13, womens shoes 6 up but 8s especially, womens 2x, 3x stretch pants, toilet paper, shampoo, conditioner, brushes, toothbrushes, toothpaste, towels, washcloths, pullups, size 5 or 6 diapers, tylenol, ibuprofen, womens feminine products, FOOD of any kind.

I will also add to this that any cash you can provide would go a long, long way even if it is just a dollar or two.

Donations can be sent to: 7209 E. 84th St. Kansas City, MO 64138

Thank you to anyone who is willing to step up and help by donating or just spreading the word on your Facebook or other social network sites.

MODS: I apologize for not putting this in the right place. I am sure you all know that this is not something I make a habit of and if this were not something so vital to human beings in desperate need than I would not have done it now. I totally understand if you want to move it and I will not make some thread where I have some epic meltdown but I just wanted this to at least get the greatest possible traffic even if for just a few minutes.

wstrucke
11-20-2011, 11:46 AM
Your forum reputation should probably be enough to legitimize this, but I've seen enough scams on the internet to be wary. Do you have any proof or substantiation other than your word?

Roxi
11-20-2011, 11:48 AM
The same week my baby was born I had to move in a hurry and 2 women that I didn't even know showed up at my house and helped clean and pack my entire house and then helped move and unpack my things as well. They did everything they could to help a stranger in need and didn't ask for anything in return.

These women and 16 other families have now been the victims of an apartment building fire and have been left with nothing. I am posting here to ask all of you for your help with donations.

So far the items in highest demand are as follows: Kids: 5t and 2t boys, 2t girls, mens 2x, 3x, mens shoes 12, 13, womens shoes 6 up but 8s especially, womens 2x, 3x stretch pants, toilet paper, shampoo, conditioner, brushes, toothbrushes, toothpaste, towels, washcloths, pullups, size 5 or 6 diapers, tylenol, ibuprofen, womens feminine products, FOOD of any kind

Again though there are 17 families ranging from 2 months old to 75 years old and they have lost everything in the fire (which started from a gas leak) The apartment complex will have new apartments ready for them as early as Monday but these people will be starting from scratch.

Anything you could donate or send would be greatly appreciated and we will be bringing the donations to them in our Ron Paul shirts to show them what kind of supporters he has.

Please send donations to: 702 B NE Ridgeview Dr, Lee's Summit, Mo 64086 or email me noxirevin79@gmail.com Monetary donations can be sent via paypal at liquidbasement@gmail.com

I will be going there several times over the next week to help go through burned items and salvage anything possible and clean or pack where needed and helping move into new apartments though almost all of them were completely gutted or have severe water and smoke damage. If anyone is in Kansas City and wants to help with this let me know.

Thanks
Roxi Nevin

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
11-20-2011, 11:51 AM
Your forum reputation should probably be enough to legitimize this, but I've seen enough scams on the internet to be wary. Do you have any proof or substantiation other than your word?

I understand being leary and I have asked the person who is familiar with the situation to come forward and tell exactly what happened and explain the situation in more detail than I could. I heard this from her and was moved and just decide to try to help how I knew how. I do not personally know these people or really anything about them but I know the person trying to get donations for them is not a scam artist and has an excellent reputation in the liberty community. I figure there is no harm in at least putting a $5 in an envelope and taking a chance.

r3volution
11-20-2011, 11:52 AM
i hope and assume some1 has contacted the red cross and the salvation army . they will certainly provide all the clothing necessary .

Roxi
11-20-2011, 11:52 AM
Here is a news article about the fire... http://www.kansascity.com/2011/11/19/3274993/three-alarm-apartment-fire-causes.html

I (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/11/19/3274993/three-alarm-apartment-fire-causes.html) posted a thread too before I knew Joe posted, the friends are mine and I will be going there today to help and will post pictures of the apartments.

Here is the thread I posted: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?331502-Fire-victims-need-help&p=3762938#post3762938

Roxi
11-20-2011, 11:53 AM
Here is a news article about the fire... http://www.kansascity.com/2011/11/19/3274993/three-alarm-apartment-fire-causes.html

(http://www.kansascity.com/2011/11/19/3274993/three-alarm-apartment-fire-causes.html)I will be going there today and will post pics later

Roxi
11-20-2011, 11:54 AM
i hope and assume some1 has contacted the red cross and the salvation army . they will certainly provide all the clothing necessary .

The red cross has provided hotel rooms and $50 food vouchers to each family but with today's prices $50 doesn't go far.

Roxi
11-20-2011, 11:55 AM
Donations can also be sent to 7209 E. 84th St. Kansas City, MO 64138

r3volution
11-20-2011, 11:59 AM
please also contact the salvation army , i worked for them in the past so i know they will send a box truck out with all the 2nd hand clothing those people and children will need .

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
11-20-2011, 12:00 PM
Roxi, I asked a mod to merge our threads.

Roxi
11-20-2011, 12:04 PM
another article/video: http://www.kctv5.com/story/16082181/more-than-a-dozen-people-left-homeless-after-overnight-fire

Roxi
11-20-2011, 12:05 PM
please also contact the salvation army , i worked for them in the past so i know they will send a box truck out with all the 2nd hand clothing those people and children will need .

Thank you, am calling them now :)

Roxi
11-20-2011, 12:19 PM
K looks like we will be able to get quite a few things on the clothing end, however no one can really help with household and toiletry items. So basically the most needed things are the things that we all use every day. So again, those items, or gift cards can be sent to either of the following addresses:

702 B NE Ridgeview Dr, Lee's Summit, Mo 64086

7209 E. 84th St. Kansas City, MO 64138

Monetary donations can be sent via paypal to liquidbasement@gmail.com

feel free to call me with questions 816-269-9772

Roxi
11-20-2011, 12:20 PM
Oh and several of these men were pretty big, so the Salvation Army will have limited clothing items in 3xl and 4xl so if anyone has anything really big that would help too.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
11-20-2011, 12:21 PM
Oh and several of these men were pretty big, so the Salvation Army will have limited clothing items in 3xl and 4xl so if anyone has anything really big that would help too.

I am a big dude myself so I will look and see if there is anything at all I can spare that could even remotely fit them.

Roxi
11-20-2011, 12:25 PM
I am a big dude myself so I will look and see if there is anything at all I can spare that could even remotely fit them.

Thank you so much Joe!!

rideurlightning
11-20-2011, 12:30 PM
The money has been sent!
Anthony, you have sent $10.00 USD to Liquidation Station.

Didn't think it was that easy. :)

Roxi
11-20-2011, 12:34 PM
The money has been sent!
Anthony, you have sent $10.00 USD to Liquidation Station.

Didn't think it was that easy. :)

Thank you so much!

TomtheTinker
11-20-2011, 12:35 PM
Bump

The money has been sent!

Maryann, you have sent $10.00 USD to Liquidation Station.

maryann=my lovley little lady

frag4yourlife
11-20-2011, 12:38 PM
bump

Roxi
11-20-2011, 12:40 PM
Bump

The money has been sent!

Maryann, you have sent $10.00 USD to Liquidation Station.

maryann=my lovley little lady

Thank you! +Rep to you, and good juju of course. :)

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
11-20-2011, 12:44 PM
Just a thought so don't crucify me. I know that some folks are not moved by a simple act of charity itself so think of what might happen if all of these families get help from a bunch of total strangers from all across the country who support Ron Paul and believe in his message of private charity and small government. Not only that but a push for total strangers came off of a Ron Paul forum... Imagine that story going into the press as we head into Iowa... An Iowa full of Evangelicals....

Roxi
11-20-2011, 01:00 PM
Just a thought so don't crucify me. I know that some folks are not moved by a simple act of charity itself so think of what might happen if all of these families get help from a bunch of total strangers from all across the country who support Ron Paul and believe in his message of private charity and small government. Not only that but a push for total strangers came off of a Ron Paul forum... Imagine that story going into the press as we head into Iowa... An Iowa full of Evangelicals....

Good thinking Joe, and we plan on wearing our Ron Paul shirts when bringing things to the people. I am also donating a couple of Ron Paul 08 shirts I had left in 2x and 3x sizes. I knew I kept those for a reason!

Roxi
11-20-2011, 01:11 PM
PS I will be posting pictures and receipts of the items we buy for the victims just in case anyone has any reservations.

CaptainAmerica
11-20-2011, 01:24 PM
Is there any way to donate without using snail mail?paypal for instance?

nayjevin
11-20-2011, 01:36 PM
"One of the key philosophies of the Ron Paul campaign and the larger movement for liberty it has inspired is that individuals and private organizations can deal with problems more efficiently than government programs. As the response to this tragedy shows, charity is no exception.

The Red Cross, the Salvation Army, and private individuals have come together to meet the needs of these victims more quickly than a comparable government program could. I'm proud to be a part of the relief effort, and proud to be a part of Ron Paul's campaign for President."

CaseyJones
11-20-2011, 01:38 PM
moved to general politics

CaseyJones
11-20-2011, 01:49 PM
bump let's help these folks out :)

Immortal Technique
11-20-2011, 03:34 PM
bizzump

TomtheTinker
11-20-2011, 08:11 PM
Bump

Roxi
11-20-2011, 08:30 PM
Is there any way to donate without using snail mail?paypal for instance?

You can send paypal donations to liquidbasement@gmail.com this will go directly to my account and I am purchasing items as money comes in, I have received $20 so far and bought this:

http://i43.tinypic.com/jpc3de.jpg

here are a few pics of the apartments, I couldn't get inside any of them due to boards over most of the doors. One of the windows I could see through because the blinds had melted into an hourglass shape. People were pulling some things from the lower apartments but everything had water damage from what I can see. I am really glad no one was hurt, the apartments on the upper back side were completely gutted I don't know how everyone escaped.

http://i43.tinypic.com/1z4l43t.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/30mmjh2.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/2m2dikn.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/25tyt7d.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/24opp34.jpg

MelissaWV
11-20-2011, 09:16 PM
I have sent along some money, though it is not much. Some of you are worried this is a scam. That is your right. I do not know much about how this money will be used, and how it will benefit the family involved, but I gave a small amount.

I never loan out or give away money I will genuinely miss. On the other end, people who have lost their home in an event like this, especially near the holidays, need every penny. Food for thought.

Roxi
11-20-2011, 10:06 PM
I have sent along some money, though it is not much. Some of you are worried this is a scam. That is your right. I do not know much about how this money will be used, and how it will benefit the family involved, but I gave a small amount.

I never loan out or give away money I will genuinely miss. On the other end, people who have lost their home in an event like this, especially near the holidays, need every penny. Food for thought.

Thank you Melissa, you are a kind soul.

It is my friends who were one of the fire victims. These friends are liberty activists/supporters who were strangers to me until they showed up at my house to help clean, pack, and move when I had to move suddenly a few days after the baby was born and I had very little help. They have also helped me a lot since then. Her actual apartment was the only one spared but the building is uninhabitable. She is also donating a lot of her things and has been helping these people and is also collecting donations for them. All the money donated will be used to purchase items from the list of most requested items. We will be taking all of the donated things and purchased items into the office of the apartment building who will then contact and allow any of the families affected to come into the office and pick out things they need. I will be taking pictures as things happen and I will get a quote from the office about their opinion of Ron Paul supporters from all over the country donating all these things. I will also post contact information for the apartment complex once we drop off the items so they can be contacted if anyone needs further verification.

Roxi
11-21-2011, 04:39 PM
I set up a page on L&L so I didn't have to post the pics and updates in multiple places. There is also a new chipin widget on the page.

http://laughterandliberty.com/kansas-city-fire-victims/

Roxi
11-22-2011, 09:47 PM
More items purchased with donations:

http://i39.tinypic.com/330elpc.jpg

We dropped off 4 care packages to families tonight, and they were all very grateful. We also made sure all of them knew that these donations came from Ron Paul supporters and used the opportunity to let them know about RP. :)

Roxi
11-22-2011, 09:48 PM
We also have $60 to spend on things tomorrow and today I picked up 5 bags of clothing and shoes that we will be separating tomorrow by size.

Roxi
11-23-2011, 08:00 PM
I have 2 women that are fire victims that haven't been able to find any clothing or shoes to fit them at the Salvation Army because of their sizes. One of them is 6'1". I need womens size 18tall and size 18 pants, size 10 and 11 in shoes, and XL shirts. These women are starting over with nothing at all and could also use kitchen stuff and appliances etc. One has 3 boys who are also large for their age and could really use some things. Please contact me if you think you can help.

Roxi
11-23-2011, 08:26 PM
Silvain: Whoever you are THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! God bless you and happy holidays.

Also, I got a quote from the office manager today and will be writing up a press release asap. So many people in need are being helped right now and it is a very fulfilling thing to help people.