PDA

View Full Version : Police Brutality and Abuse - "It wasn't always this way." Oh really?

CCTelander
11-20-2011, 12:18 AM
Being that the topic of abuses and brutality by professional police forces seems to be constantly coming up, I thought this information might be of interest:

What Ventura may not know is that roughly a century ago, following America's near-genocidal war to "liberate" the Philippines from the burden of self-government, water torture became a very commonplace method of administering the "third degree" in police departments from Los Angeles to New York, with special emphasis in Chicago and various parts of the Deep South.

The "water cure," notes Dr. Darius Rejali, author of Torture and Democracy, "migrated here after American troops returned from the Philippine insurgency in the early 20th century. By the 1930s, the water cure was favored by the Southern police." Police in Chicago preferred a variation they called the "ice-water cure," in which they sought to extract confessions from prisoners "by chilling them in freezing water baths."

During World War I, "American military prisons subjected conscientious objectors to ice-water showers and baths until they fainted." Indeed, prior to release of the report by the National Commission on Law Observance and Enforcement (the so-called Wickersham Commission) in 1931, the methods now known as "enhanced interrogation" were commonly called the "Third Degree" -- "the infliction of physical or mental pain to extract confessions or statements," in the words of the report.

The practice was found to be "widespread throughout the country" and "thoroughly at home in Chicago." Third Degree tactics ranged from "beating to harsher forms of torture," reported the Commission. "The commoner forms are beating with the fists or some implement, especially the rubber hose, that inflicts pain, but is not likely to leave permanent visible scars.... [A]uthorities often threaten bodily injury ... and have gone to the extreme of procuring a confession at the point of a pistol."

Interestingly, these abhorrent practices thrived in large measure because of the policy the Wickersham Commission was assembled to review -- alcohol prohibition, the early 20th Century version of the War on Drugs. And it may be the case that the wartime atrocities in the Philippines grew out of common practices in police departments, which were refined in foreign battlefields before being imported, in greatly amplified form, to the homeland.

Following the counter-insurgency war in the Philippines, it took nearly three decades to purge the practice of officially sanctioned torture from America's law enforcement system. That war lasted about two years. The current conflict began more than seven years ago. The bi-partisan Establishment considers the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq to be parts of a "Long War" that would last a generation or more.

What the government is permitted to do to suspected terrorists and insurgents abroad, it will eventually inflict on civilian criminal suspects here at home. This principle is clearly illustrated by the experience of the Philippine counter-insurgency war...

Excerpted from here:

http://freedominourtime.blogspot.com/2009/05/water-cure-for-mancow-disease.html

phill4paul
11-20-2011, 12:29 AM
There are many out there that should really consider putting down the gun and the badge. We all know about 'blowback.'

BattleFlag1776
11-20-2011, 01:43 AM
Being that the topic of abuses and brutality by professional police forces seems to be constantly coming up, I thought this information might be of interest:

Nice post. I'm forever amazed that so many seem to believe that the US wrote the playbook for all that is wrong with the world during the last decade.

noneedtoaggress
11-20-2011, 02:20 AM
Nice post. I'm forever amazed that so many seem to believe that the US wrote the playbook for all that is wrong with the world during the last decade.

Hey now, I think it's common knowledge that everything wrong with America today is Bush's fault and Obama just needs a chance to fix it, but the Republican's wont let him. :p

CCTelander
11-20-2011, 01:29 PM
Hey now, I think it's common knowledge that everything wrong with America today is Bush's fault and Obama just needs a chance to fix it, but the Republican's wont let him. :p

Damn them! ;)

AFPVet
11-20-2011, 01:40 PM
Police brutality existed long ago; however, it is simply worse now that we are in a police state.

Anti Federalist
11-20-2011, 01:46 PM
Police brutality existed long ago; however, it is simply worse now that we are in a police state.

Yes, good point.

As the surveillance grid grows tighter every day, more and more people get enmeshed in the police state.

We are all felons, just waiting to be caught.

Icymudpuppy
11-20-2011, 03:06 PM
What I got from this excerpt:

Soldiers fighting a war of choice as occupiers of a foreign land came home and got jobs as police then used the extreme measures they learned in war on their own countrymen.

Just another reason to stay out of wars.

Becker
11-20-2011, 04:44 PM
if it was always this way, it wouldn't make news.