PDA

View Full Version : Black Panthers made large strides in health care reform, says Columbia professor

moderate libertarian
11-19-2011, 12:49 PM
Pretty unusual claim. Is this Columbia professor seems to be giving some credit to BP party for historic changes as well as what is currently called Obamacare by many in GOP?

Black Panthers made large strides in health care reform, says Columbia professor

By Lucas Loffredo
Published Nov. 10, 2011

Alondra Nelson wants you to know, the Black Panthers were about a lot more than jackets and afros.

Nelson, a professor in the Department of Sociology and a member of the Institute for Research on Women and Gender at Columbia University, recently released a book that highlights a different part of the movement entitled “Body and Soul: The Black Panther Party and the Fight against Medical Discrimination.” She spoke to the Vanderbilt Community at 4 p.m. Tuesday in Furman Hall.

“The Black Panther party for Self-Defense, founded 45 years ago, is generally remembered for its black race, its revolutionary rhetoric and its shootouts with police. The Black Panthers’ health activism is less well known,” Nelson said. “This little-recalled aspect of the party’s work nevertheless remains one of its more durable legacies. The issue of health imparted a new moral mantle to their efforts.”

According to Nelson, the insufficient health care that existed for African-Americans prior to the civil rights movement is vastly underreported in history.

Most shocking was Nelson’s description of “The New York Times’ disclosure in 1972 of a 4-decade long syphilis study in which close to 400 African American men were left untreated for the disease so that researchers could observe its ravages on the human body.”

When asked what the average Vanderbilt student should take away from her speech, Nelson said, “I would want them to take away that the Black Panther party is much more than photographs and cool jackets and groovy afros. They were about really substantive and urgent political and social issues, and those issues are still pressing and relevant today.”

When asked what the average Vanderbilt student should take away from her speech, Nelson said, “I would want them to take away that the Black Panther party is much more than photographs and cool jackets and groovy afros. They were about really substantive and urgent political and social issues, and those issues are still pressing and relevant today.”

http://www.insidevandy.com/drupal/node/18526

oyarde
11-21-2011, 11:47 AM
Whatever , is there a Black Panther health plan on the market ?? Mine goes up $40 a month in Jan . , I would be willing to take a look ...