PDA

View Full Version : A little perspective for those doing Meetups

foofighter20x
06-15-2007, 11:51 AM
I saw the thread about the SLC meetup and the friction therewithin, and it caused me to remember some of my leadership training I've had from the Air Force:

Friction among members of newly forming teams is to be expected, always.

In fact, it's one of the four recognized steps of team relationships (here they are in all their goofy, mnemonic glory):
1) Forming
2) Storming
3) Norming
4) Performing

After a team first meets, there will always be friction and difference of opinion over the best course of action to take. The big goal is never to let the disagreements get heated. If your ideas don't get accepted right away, don't take it personally!

A fact of being in a group means that sometimes you just might find yourself in the minority on an issue. Remember that what we all want here is a free-market of ideas which allows everyone to at least have a say so that everyone can then make an informed decision. But part of the deal of participating in said free-market of ideas is not to get angered or belligerent if people disagree with you or don't accept your ideas.

Disagreement is a fact of the human condition. I think it was Bill Cosby that said something to the effect of "the key to failure is trying to please everyone." Not everyone is going to get along.

The key thing in all of this is to step back and remember why you are there to begin with. Joining a team in itself is an act that means you need to leave your ego at the door. It's not a team if everyone is only looking out for himself.

Anyway, once you are on the team, stay focused on the goal; keep your eyes on the prize and go with the flow! We'll all make it yet! :D