PDA

View Full Version : Running a Business in America - Help needed!

McChronagle
11-17-2011, 10:26 PM
It seems pretty clear to me that businesses are over regulated and the cost of labor is very high compared to other nations. ive been arguing this and i need fellow rpf people to graciously help me once again lol. im trying to find an article refuting this one. one that shows how difficult it is to run a business in america. i know ive seen them before but cant find them when i need them most. here is what im dealing with.

"Yea, it was government regulations that murdered the US manufacturing and forced the companies to off-shore.

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/1....anies-offshore/

Based on these criteria, these are the top 10 countries where it is easiest to operate a business:

Singapore
Hong Kong
New Zealand
United States
Denmark
Norway
United Kingdom
South Korea
Iceland
Ireland

That’s right: The United States comes in fourth.

Hong Kong beats the United States, but mainland China — that bugaboo of American employment protectionists — does not. Instead, China comes in 91st. Despite the higher regulatory burden, American-based multinational companies have increased their employment in China by 161,400 from 2007 to 2008, a gain of about 20 percent, according to the Bureau of Economic Analysis. (The most recent data are for 2008.) In fact, American employment in China rose 77 percent in the prior decade, from 1998 to 2008.

India does even worse, with a ranking of 132nd. Edward L. Glaeser has written for Economix before about India’s struggles with having a stable and transparent regulatory system and public sector.

As they have done in China, American companies have ratcheted up their employment in India by 43,000, or about 13 percent, from 2007 to 2008. From 1998 to 2008, the number of people in India working for American companies rose by 54 percent, according to the Bureau of Economic Analysis.

In another measure of business climate and competitiveness put out by the World Economic Forum, the United States ranks fifth, again ahead of China (26), India (56) and a host of other countries where American companies are adding jobs.

Presumably, then, American companies are not attracted to these places because the business climate is more favorable."

i feel like the article it self is contradictory because it says the US is better than china and india yet we rapidly employ them year over year. anybody have links saved to refute this?

Becker
11-17-2011, 11:41 PM
Singapore (harsh crime punishment and zero tolerance for drugs)
Hong Kong
New Zealand
United States
Denmark (individual tax rates start at 36%)
Norway (corporate tax starts at 28%, individual up to 48%, has great healthcare system)
United Kingdom
South Korea
Iceland (what just happened to Iceland?)
Ireland

many of these countries have a corporate tax starting at 10%, whereas US starts at zero.

enoch150
11-18-2011, 11:44 AM
There are a few things you could bring up.

The black market in places like China is huge. Taxes and regulations are meaningless if they aren't enforced.

Say a US business in the US looked like this:

$10/hour labor cost
$2/hour regulations
$3/hour taxes
Workers can produce 3 widgets per hour.

Total cost per widget: $5

And in India:

$2/hour labor costs
$3/hour regulations
$4/hour taxes
Workers can produce 2 widgets per hour

Total costs per widget: $4.50

So businesses in India, in that scenario, are more efficient even while the US has lower taxes, fewer regulations, and its workers are more productive. The question is: How do you make the US more efficient? You could do it by reducing taxes and regulations by $1 each. Or by reducing labor costs by $2 (eliminate the minimum wage?) The situation would also reverse if India's wages increased to much. And wages in India and China are rising.

Put the ball in their court: ask the liberal (I assume) if they would rather reduce taxes and regulations or eliminate the minimum wage? Doing neither means hoping India and China will be dumb enough to increase their taxes and regulations even higher or are dumb enough to impose a minimum wage so high that businesses flee.

Heritage ranks the US as the 9th most economically free. http://www.heritage.org/index/Ranking

Also, here's a working link for your article: http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/11/07/is-overregulation-driving-u-s-companies-offshore/

LibForestPaul
11-18-2011, 09:03 PM
I see from heritage chart, iran, north korea, cuba, venezuela, have not yet bowed to the Rothschild.

Becker
11-19-2011, 03:50 AM
I see from heritage chart, iran, north korea, cuba, venezuela, have not yet bowed to the Rothschild.

therefore they much be preferable places to live, if for no other reason than the fact they have a freer bank and prosperous economy.