PDA

View Full Version : Strange bedfellows: Nancy Pelosi, Ron Paul join SOPA opposition

QuickZ06
11-17-2011, 09:42 PM
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/11/strange-bedfellows-nancy-pelosi-ron-paul-join-sopa-opposition.ars

We've already written about the wide variety of groups outside of Congress, including legal scholars, high-tech investors, and network engineers, that oppose the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and its Senate counterpart, the PROTECT IP Act. More recently, we've seen growing opposition within Congress itself. The latest SOPA opponent: House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA).

I do not know much about this but I have read a few reports saying this bill could be the start of internet censorship, which makes me think, why would RP support such a thing? So anyone care to speed me up on this?

FreeTraveler
11-17-2011, 09:48 PM
The article is about opposition to the act. Ron opposes.

From the link:

And Pelosi is far from the only member of Congress opposed to the legislation. On Tuesday, ten members of Congress signed a "dear colleague" letter expressing concerns with the bill. The signers were nine Democrats plus Rep Ron Paul (R-TX), a libertarian-leaning candidate for the GOP presidential nomination.

QuickZ06
11-17-2011, 09:52 PM
The article is about opposition to the act. Ron opposes.

From the link:

Gotcha, I must have read it wrong. Thanks for clearing this up. So is this a pathway to start internet censorship?

ryanmkeisling
11-17-2011, 10:02 PM
Gotcha, I must have read it wrong. Thanks for clearing this up. So is this a pathway to start internet censorship?

Yes, and has been ongoing. I believe Patrick Leheay was at the helm at one point? There is huge pressure from corporations to protect intellectual property rights as so many people are not paying for cable tv, movies, music and software anymore. The propagandists are losing their grip or chokehold as it were...I just got off the phone with my ISP yesterday as they had shut down my service due to the constant uploading. The guy told me a year ago they would get a notice every 6 months from big corporate producers threatening them and their customers, he now said they get several per day. A tremendous amount of profit is being lost, as if anyone in entertainment needs anymore?

Aratus
11-17-2011, 11:10 PM
Rep. Ron Paul and nine Democrats can actually comprehend why there is a Bill of Rights? What is Congress's problem?