PDA

View Full Version : Supervoter Bomb envelope design - need input

AdamT
11-17-2011, 09:00 PM
I'm hoping to get some input on the envelope design that will be bulk mailed for the Supervoter Bomb project (http://supervoterbomb.com/). Basically, we need something with a nice clean design that will scream to be opened.

Should it say what's inside? Should it be covered with color graphics, or be minimalistic? Should Ron Paul's name be mentioned?

Maybe an angle of: "Inside this envelope are items absolutely critical you look at before voting for President" or something to that effect.

The envelopes will be approx 11.5" wide by 5.5" tall. There needs to be a white rectangle on the front to the left of center for the mailing address to be printed. I think the back will be blank....still checking on that.

Whatcha all got?

brendan.orourke
11-17-2011, 09:13 PM
Honestly, I think it should be blank. If people know it's campaign stuff, I feel like they'll be more inclined to just pitch it. If anything, I am strongly against statements like the one above that kind of sound like old Publishers Clearing House or get rich quick sayings.

Either be clear and state what is inside, or leave it blank. My .02

Maximus
11-17-2011, 09:33 PM
Maybe something like Justin Wood's "Eagle" logo, take out the Ron Paul underneath it.

Eric21ND
11-17-2011, 09:53 PM
Since this is going to republican primary voters, perhaps something with an anti-Obama twist.

Maybe "Top Secret Plans To Restore America" on an envelope.

http://cdn.jobmob.co.il/images/articles/objects/top_secret_envelope.jpg

http://www.dreamstime.com/envelope-with-top-secret-stamp-and-blank-papers--thumb17043790.jpg

Eric21ND
11-17-2011, 09:55 PM
Or you could go with the curiosity/fear angle and stamp confidential on it and make it look like its from the IRS...I'm channeling my inner Karl Rove on that one.

AdamT
11-17-2011, 10:05 PM
Since this is going to republican primary voters, perhaps something with an anti-Obama twist.

Maybe "Top Secret Plans To Restore America" on an envelope.

http://cdn.jobmob.co.il/images/articles/objects/top_secret_envelope.jpg

LOL +rep, I wish it were that easy.

Eric21ND
11-17-2011, 10:14 PM
If you want something eye catching, I would recommend a retro style letter in the vain of Thomas Paine.

http://i43.tower.com/images/mm118038819/thomas-paine-collection-common-sense-rights-man-age-paperback-cover-art.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4025/4303440439_37596cb3b2.jpg

http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/beawolf/beawolf1012/beawolf101200039/8406346-computer-generated-image-of-a-red-wax-seal-on-an-old-letter.jpg

Mckarnin
11-17-2011, 10:32 PM
It should be interesting, different than anything you normally get via bulk mail and if at all possible look like an actual person laid hands on it (more like a real letter). It should not look like those campaigning and fund drive letters with the eagle, Ron Paul's name in bold or things that are underlined or written in bold font with overly dramatic wording. I like the idea to give it kind of a vintage Early American document look that another poster mentioned but if not done just right it could look hokey, especially with a mailing label in modern font slapped onto it.

I have a feeling that people will be feeling burnt out on politics and we don't want the super voter packages to seem like a further assault. Since there is a movie inside you could print the front to look like an 11.5x5.5 movie ticket complete with the little edge perforations that says something like Freedom (or some other catchy title for the attraction), Admit One, 2012 as the number on the short side and then their address right under the admit one part. Then in little text you could write: "your movie is showing on the other side of the envelope under the flap".

Eric21ND
11-17-2011, 10:54 PM
More theme ideas.

Charcoal colored envelope with Liberty embossed on it in silver.

http://www.liberty.co.uk/pws/images/catalogue/products/ss11worl021001000-black/large/ss11worl021001000-black.jpg

http://www.liberty.co.uk/pws/client/images/catalogue/products/ss11worl021001000-black/large1/ss11worl021001000-black_3.jpg

http://blog.timesunion.com/rittner/files/2009/06/flag-copy.jpg

http://www.itsteatime.org/images/tea%20(28).jpg

http://www.itsteatime.org/images/liberty-flag-sm.jpg

beardedlinen
11-17-2011, 11:04 PM
I like the wax seal quite a bit as well as the aesthetic impression that it has been handled by many. Paul's name should not be mentioned. It should be a mysterious object that seduces with vagary.

You'd have to make the print on the envelope look as authentic as possible. Consider smudges.

harikaried
11-17-2011, 11:06 PM
I wonder if it should be functional as well, e.g., Fragile! Do Not Bend -- Liberty Inside!

beardedlinen
11-17-2011, 11:09 PM
I wonder if it should be functional as well, e.g., Fragile! Do Not Bend -- Liberty Inside!

I'd leave out "Liberty Inside", as it immediately connotes a political/social idea. People need to be like "WTF is this?".

1836er
11-17-2011, 11:14 PM
I think you should use the image of George Washington (plus other founding fathers) presiding over the Constitutional Convention from the bottom half of the image on the front page of supervoterbomb.com - with the title "In 2012, We Reclaim the Constitution"

Eric21ND
11-17-2011, 11:22 PM
I like the wax seal quite a bit as well as the aesthetic impression that it has been handled by many. Paul's name should not be mentioned. It should be a mysterious object that seduces with vagary.

You'd have to make the print on the envelope look as authentic as possible. Consider smudges.
Something cryptic would get people to open it I do believe.

Eric21ND
11-17-2011, 11:22 PM
I think you should use the image of George Washington (plus other founding fathers) presiding over the Constitutional Convention from the bottom half of the image on the front page of supervoterbomb.com - with the title "In 2012, We Reclaim the Constitution"
That could be beautifully done as well.

Birdlady
11-17-2011, 11:31 PM
I asked my husband who does marketing and he says to use a font that looks like it was handwritten. Perhaps that's a given, but just wanted to throw that idea out there.

Personally I think less is more. I kind of like the wax seal idea.

Or you could go with the curiosity/fear angle and stamp confidential on it and make it look like its from the IRS...I'm channeling my inner Karl Rove on that one.
I kind of hope you are joking. lol Have you ever gotten a letter from the IRS? It's the scariest thing you will ever see! It doesn't invoke positive feelings at all and when these supervoters open it up and see it's a political ad, they will get pissed and throw it away. Trust me.

nayjevin
11-18-2011, 02:44 AM
My first thought was to use the silhouette:

Eric21ND
11-18-2011, 02:49 AM
Ron Paul shouldn't be anywhere on the envelope.

Nate-ForLiberty
11-18-2011, 03:02 AM
Why not simply "For Liberty" ?

Doesn't necessarily ring political.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
11-18-2011, 03:09 AM
"Information concerning your audit inside" - When you open it, the letter can say "I bet you were scared. Are you tired of fearing your government? So are we and we have the solution. Please read the enclosed information and watch the free DVD to find out how you can do your part and take your country back". Of course I am kidding.... or am I?

groverblue
11-18-2011, 08:10 AM
Why not a quote from Thomas Jefferson? That's all. Keep it simple, serious, and professional. We are in some deep shit in this country, we don't to be making it a cute thing to read. Don't try any trick stuff. People won't like that, and they'll just think of it as a sleazy sales pitch.

danbeaulieu
11-18-2011, 08:13 AM
hand write on the envelope, statistically speaking, people are more likely to open a hand-written envelope. I know theres a lot, but Ron paul supporters can meet up and write on them.

danbeaulieu
11-18-2011, 08:15 AM
or write "Lets bomb Iran" on the envelope

trey4sports
11-18-2011, 08:17 AM
"liberty" is not a buzzword to GOP voters. I don't think that is the way to go at all.

I like the idea of something like...... "President Obama does NOT want you to see what's inside this envelope...."

groverblue
11-18-2011, 08:29 AM
"liberty" is not a buzzword to GOP voters. I don't think that is the way to go at all.

I like the idea of something like...... "President Obama does NOT want you to see what's inside this envelope...."

I think that's a bad idea because it is attacking, and that's negative energy. I think using something more positive would be better. How about something from this:

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2011/10/17/ron_paul_has_a_good_idea_no_really

“We have called for everything that [he] is suggesting. He will be the first candidate to actually do so.” - Rush Limbaugh

or again, a quote from Thomas Jefferson.

lucent
11-18-2011, 08:35 AM
Stunning color combination

Traditionally, an envelope comes in white and light brown tone, which is not only common but extremely boring. Too stand out from the rest and make your envelope look attractive, why don’t you opt for some colored envelopes? You can choose any color of your choice or stick to your corporate color only, provided it is good enough to catch attention. It can be mono-color or dual-colored or tri-colored as per requirement, but I will not suggest going with a single colored envelope. You can also choose gradients of color. Remember, bright colored envelopes easily grab attention, whether lying on table or in a corner of your house — a black and lemon green envelope could be an example of one such envelope.

An interesting flap

Envelope flap can also be an attention grabber for your audience. Generally, envelope flaps open sideways or upwards. You can try a different style of flap – either in term of shape or design. You can make it look different and creative by attaching a zip to it or button on the top. Your design can be illusory, resembling real products like buttons, zips, and stitches. Make its opening look very different.

Creative design

A creative graphical design can make an envelope look different from the rest. Add images, photographs, and graphical elements to your envelope. By graphical element I do not mean adding logo and signature on top and back of the envelope. It should be elements that attract attention, for the goal of such elements will be to catch and retain attention, and create ambience. It could be normal print or embossed. Graphically interesting envelopes not only act as your identity but also as a silent promotional tool. If your company has an interesting tagline, put in on your envelope. When I say interesting, I mean something with which readers can connect.

Add texture to it

One more way of adding punch to your envelope can be by adding texture to your envelope. Use textures like greetings cards. Visually appealing textures immediately attract attention of its recipients.

Shine and Printing

Make sure printing of your envelope bears excellent quality. To make your envelope even more attractive add glossy or shiny surface elements to it. Besides good quality ink of printing, make sure paper quality also meets high standard. Consult a professional printer.

Let your envelope do more than being a mere cover sheet. Decorate it with various elements, but do not forget to put a marketing message on that. Do not clutter your envelope with too many marketing messages. Just one message will go on that.

Try this marketing tool, and let me know how much it helped you.

http://www.va4business.com/business/684/tips-for-making-company-envelope-an-effective-marketing-tool/

AdamT
11-18-2011, 08:35 AM
I like this portion of the artwork from the brochure.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff189/adamtro/brochure_face.jpg

dusman
11-18-2011, 08:52 AM
I'm not sure how cost-effective it is to do the Thomas Paine-esque envelope w/ seal, but that really seems effective. It also matches the theme for that brochure and somewhat for the for liberty cover. None of the other concepts really jumped at me like that one does.

afmatt
11-18-2011, 08:59 AM
I love the black envelopes idea if it's financially possible in the current plan

AdamT
11-18-2011, 09:18 AM
I received this one last week and saved it as an example. I really like this style.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff189/adamtro/envelope_opened.jpg

Spanky
11-18-2011, 09:25 AM
This is more important than the next moneybomb itself, 200,000 letters is a big deal, and can sway a lot of votes.

Keep the calls up, it's the grassroots effort that'll win!

Nate-ForLiberty
11-18-2011, 09:29 AM
I received this one last week and saved it as an example. I really like this style.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff189/adamtro/envelope_opened.jpg

Something like that would go right in the trash.

AdamT
11-18-2011, 10:20 AM
Something like that would go right in the trash.

LOL, notice it's opened.

neverseen
11-18-2011, 10:27 AM
"Full length DVD inside!"

Keep in mind, a DVD inside will be heavy and they will naturally open it to get at the heavy object. They must know it's in there...

harikaried
11-18-2011, 10:38 AM
Something like that would go right in the trash.(Sometimes they have a nickel inside.)

IndianaPolitico
11-18-2011, 10:43 AM
I like the idea of a vintage style envelope. Also, the black envelope with silver print also sounds good.

truthsaga
11-18-2011, 11:14 AM
Is it possible to have a few different designs to target different demographics and is that information available? Usually the older "baby boomers" are more brand loyal and comfort colors are usually gold, browns, hunter green, and dark reds for example. We use this information when designing and renovating hotels to appeal to market segments, but I probably could find the full break down laying around somewhere if you think it would help.

Nate-ForLiberty
11-18-2011, 12:08 PM
LOL, notice it's opened. Who opened it? The guy interested in envelope design? :p

Deborah K
11-18-2011, 12:11 PM
Enclosed: Tools for GOP success

AdamT
11-18-2011, 01:02 PM
Who opened it? The guy interested in envelope design? :p

Guy wanting the free cutesy return address labels inside :)

Eric21ND
11-18-2011, 02:40 PM
Might have to come up with a couple different designs and get reactions to them. Does anybody know what other republican groups used?

maxoutco
11-18-2011, 03:06 PM
Add suspicion.

"What the government doesn't want you to know."

Plague-of-Locutus
11-18-2011, 03:33 PM
I'd go with something from Ron Paul's Restore America Plan on the front cover.

"I will bring our Troops home NOW!"

or

"Help me to Restore America."

It doesn't need to be all 007 like most people here seem to want.

Eric21ND
11-18-2011, 03:38 PM
I'd go with something from Ron Paul's Restore America Plan on the front cover.

"I will bring our Troops home NOW!"

or

"Help me to Restore America."

It doesn't need to be all 007 like most people here seem to want.
This is to die-hard republicans though.

truthspeaker
11-18-2011, 03:42 PM
That could be beautifully done as well.

Ditto. And in fact, I'd leave out the "We" and have it read: "In 2012, Reclaim the Constitution"

Make it more personal.

pauliticalfan
11-18-2011, 03:47 PM
Maybe like a reverse-IRS thing.

JoshLowry
11-18-2011, 03:51 PM
"The future is in your hands."

I'd open it.

Dutch
11-18-2011, 04:06 PM
Ok this is not envelope-related, but since the SuperVoterBomb people are reading here...

From the pic on the website it looks like the DVD is sealed in plastic. I know I have a hard time opening those, and I must not be the only one. Maybe it's possible, maybe even cheaper, to leave out the plastic wrapping? The DVD won't fall out, those carton sleeves are an exact fit. And even if they slip out - they're still in the envelope.

My 0.02c... :-)

lucent
11-18-2011, 04:14 PM
"The future is in your hands."

I'd open it.

Sounds like a slogan for an insurance company.

SchleckBros
11-18-2011, 10:42 PM
http://ronpaulronpaul.com/img/2011-graph-500x833.jpg

Here's my idea (feel free to edit and/or improve on this concept). We should use this image but black out Ron Paul's name and remove his face.

Include the Ronald Reagan quote, “____ is one of the outstanding leaders fighting for a stronger national defense. As a former Air Force officer, he knows well the needs of our armed forces, and he always puts them first. We need to keep him fighting for our country.” – Ronald Reagan

Use a title like, "Our Active Duty Military and Ronald Reagan Support Him."

I don't know if it is possible to somehow do this for the envelope but we should definitely include a flyer that emphasizes this.

Maximus
11-18-2011, 10:44 PM
Oh, the Support the Troops billboard isn't a crazy idea

SchleckBros
11-18-2011, 10:48 PM
http://ronpaulronpaul.com/img/2011-graph-500x833.jpg

Here's my idea (feel free to edit and/or improve on this concept). We should use this image but black out Ron Paul's name and remove his face.

Include the Ronald Reagan quote, “____ is one of the outstanding leaders fighting for a stronger national defense. As a former Air Force officer, he knows well the needs of our armed forces, and he always puts them first. We need to keep him fighting for our country.” – Ronald Reagan

Use a title like, "Our Active Duty Military and Ronald Reagan Support Him."

I don't know if it is possible to somehow do this for the envelope but we should definitely include a flyer that emphasizes this.

I agree with Maximus, the Support the Troops billboard concept would work well this idea. Perhaps a title like this, Our Military Men and Women Donate More Money to This Candidate Than Obama AND All the Other GOP Candidates COMBINED.

Birdlady
11-18-2011, 11:18 PM
Personally I never liked that donation graphic. It is too busy with too much information and numbers. Because there is so much going on, when you first look at it, no single area grabs your eye so you tend to look away. Less is more. Aside from the visual aspects of the graph, we have to remember who our demographic is with this mailer. Supervoters are most likely neocon type Republicans, so I think printing a graphic about military donations is bound to get a TON of throwaways. It is attacking other Republican candidates, which I'm not sure would work alongside the rest of the enclosed materials.

I think going with an envelope that looks like parchment with a printed red wax seal is the best idea in this thread. The font should be a legible cursive handwriting that looks like ink from a quill pen. Someone said smudges should be included and I think that's brilliant. Obviously the text would have to be hammered out still. I don't have any non-cheesy ideas yet. haha

AdamT
11-18-2011, 11:22 PM
Personally I never liked that donation graphic. It is too busy with too much information and numbers. Because there is so much going on, when you first look at it, no single area grabs your eye so you tend to look away. Less is more. Aside from the visual aspects of the graph, we have to remember who our demographic is with this mailer. Supervoters are most likely neocon type Republicans, so I think printing a graphic about military donations is bound to get a TON of throwaways. It is attacking other Republican candidates, which I'm not sure would work alongside the rest of the enclosed materials.

I think going with an envelope that looks like parchment with a printed red wax seal is the best idea in this thread. The font should be a legible cursive handwriting that looks like ink from a quill pen. Someone said smudges should be included and I think that's brilliant. Obviously the text would have to be hammered out still. I don't have any non-cheesy ideas yet. haha

Can someone dig up some examples of the quill pen writing? Is there a font?

SchleckBros
11-18-2011, 11:23 PM

I kind of agree. The graph is way too busy to be included on an envelope but I think it could definitely be simplified to get the point across. I don't know if the idea that I proposed could translate onto an envelope very well (I do like your idea of something that is simple and kinda mysterious, which people would definitely open) but I think some kind of paper with this type of graph and a quote from Ronald Reagan would be very beneficial.

FriedChicken
11-18-2011, 11:29 PM
The military donations idea is a good one and I think we should incorporate the "less is more" attitude with it as well. A simpler graphic with all their names removed and replaced with a question mark with a question reading "Who does our military want to become commander and chief?" or something. I wouldn't put any pictures on it except for the graphic - no faces.
Maybe a silhouette of Ron Paul with a question mark inside of it next to his graph.

Wax seal is cool too.

Or something like:
Who can we count on to cut $1Trillion dollars in spending in one year and balance the budget in 3 years?

Birdlady
11-18-2011, 11:39 PM
Can someone dig up some examples of the quill pen writing? Is there a font?

There's a lot out there, but most of them you can't read at all. lol I found this one which is quite legible. It says the person who created it tried to copy the style of writing directly from the Declaration of Independence. It is $20.

http://www.fontbros.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=HAFO-NAAR

AdamT
11-18-2011, 11:41 PM
http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/beawolf/beawolf1012/beawolf101200039/8406346-computer-generated-image-of-a-red-wax-seal-on-an-old-letter.jpg

The envelopes will have a thin long flap sealing them shut, not a V flap.

The V shaped ones are a lot more expensive. So no V shaped flap, and no faux wax seal unfortunately :(

AdamT
11-18-2011, 11:42 PM
There's a lot out there, but most of them you can't read at all. lol I found this one which is quite legible. It says the person who created it tried to copy the style of writing directly from the Declaration of Independence. It is $20.

http://www.fontbros.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=HAFO-NAAR

OMG that looks amazing! I will buy it, sold. +rep

lucent
11-18-2011, 11:49 PM
The envelopes will have a thin long flap sealing them shut, not a V flap.

The V shaped ones are a lot more expensive. So no V shaped flap, and no faux wax seal unfortunately :(

Faux wax seals aren't good for mailing anyway. They get caught in mail sorting.

lucent
11-18-2011, 11:54 PM

If one knew these were the Tea Party sort, throwing in a waving Gadsden would be eye appealing.

Spanky
11-18-2011, 11:55 PM
Hm we need to keep spreading the word (good work by the way), this should be easy to raise this money!

AdamT
11-19-2011, 12:03 AM
If one knew these were the Tea Party sort, throwing in a waving Gadsden would be eye appealing.

I would guess republican supervoters would be very pro-Tea Party.

Birdlady
11-19-2011, 12:40 AM
My husband found this about direct mailers in general.
http://www.directcreative.com/how-to-design-direct-mail-envelopes-that-get-opened.html

When my husband and I mailed letters to Iowa during the last campaign, we hand addressed them all, but put nothing else on the envelope. When an envelope looks personal, they will open it up.

I'm hoping there's a direct mail marketer on our forum that could perhaps donate his/her services to get the most out of it. :)

Eric21ND
11-19-2011, 12:48 AM
Could we have a high quality Constitution themed envelope and have the person's name written in that style? Basically make the recipient look like a signer of the Constitution?

brendan.orourke
11-19-2011, 11:11 AM
My husband found this about direct mailers in general.
http://www.directcreative.com/how-to-design-direct-mail-envelopes-that-get-opened.html

When my husband and I mailed letters to Iowa during the last campaign, we hand addressed them all, but put nothing else on the envelope. When an envelope looks personal, they will open it up.

I'm hoping there's a direct mail marketer on our forum that could perhaps donate his/her services to get the most out of it. :)

Yes and Yes! If we hand address them that makes a world of difference.

Birdlady
11-19-2011, 11:44 AM
Yes and Yes! If we hand address them that makes a world of difference.

I'm willing to donate my time in hand addressing envelopes if it ever comes down to that. However addressing 200k envelopes would take a lot of people in order to accomplish such a feat, but also ensure a fast turnaround time. With such a large number of mailers, it probably isn't realistic unfortunately. I do think it would be quite effective, but we have to consider the cost of mailing the envelopes to people, the time it would take for someone to mail them back, then get them stuffed etc. If the person addressing them is also responsible for stuffing, then mailing costs will get expensive sending all of this around the country.

I think that's why the handwritten font is probably our second best option. Although if any of you are working on smaller projects with like 500-1000 mailers, you could hand-write those in a few days easily. Just take frequent breaks so your hand doesn't feel like it's going to fall off. lol

european
11-19-2011, 11:46 AM
"Full length DVD inside!"

Keep in mind, a DVD inside will be heavy and they will naturally open it to get at the heavy object. They must know it's in there...

This is true. When you pick up the enveloppe, you will notice something is inside. And recieving a DVD is not that common. Maybe a "fragile / handle with care - DVD inside" stamp would give the extra attention that is needed. People are curious by nature. They want to know what this DVD is about and will at least take a look at the cover of the DVD and the brochure that is put with it.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_A5qiAJL9Pdg/R4PtRBj6FEI/AAAAAAAAAI8/JEE_jmIi1sQ/s320/fragile.jpg http://userdisk.webry.biglobe.ne.jp/003/777/79/1/fra.jpg http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQw_oBT8aQRKhlihfWJeXmbmIt8sMF87 xkJ2UU7tKiLroWxUuDbUw http://us.cdn3.123rf.com/168nwm/kanonsense/kanonsense1012/kanonsense101200123/8428781-cardboard-box-with-safety-fragile-signs.jpg

european
11-19-2011, 11:48 AM
And if you guys think it helps, you might want to add a letter from a (for instance purple heart or bronze star) decorated veteran, who is sending out all these enveloppes for the people's consideration. The letter asks the reader to take a little of their time for their country, as did the decorated veteran. I bet there are plenty decorated veterans out there that support Ron Paul. I can imagine people will find it rude just to ignore such a letter they recieved, so they will take the time to have a look at the brochure and DVD.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/82/Purpleheart.jpg/150px-Purpleheart.jpg http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/72/Bronze_Star_medal.jpg/150px-Bronze_Star_medal.jpg

AJ187
11-19-2011, 01:15 PM
Whatever we do it obviously has to be cost effective and efficient with the intended goal of getting republicans who probably voted for establishment candidates in the past to open it. That being said I like a lot of Eric's ideas and that Jefferson font, which I may want to use for my own projects.......

FBappDev
11-19-2011, 04:22 PM
"FREE MOVIE INSIDE"

KevinR
11-19-2011, 06:26 PM
"Don't open until Christmas"

Birdlady
11-19-2011, 10:33 PM
Just wanted to report that my husband got a letter from Herman Cain today. My husband made me laugh though. "You are going to love this. It starts". Then he showed me the letter. I think I let out a little shriek of joy and disgust all in one. :p

I believe looking at what other candidates are doing is important.

Out of respect for my husband's privacy I won't post the actual envelope with his name and our address, but they went with the completely blank envelope idea and followed this to the T.

From the website I linked above:

--If you use a blank envelope, make it completely blank. Not a single word of teaser copy. No graphics. Perhaps not even your logo. Just a return address in the upper left corner and the prospect's name and address in the usual place. You might include the letter signer's name in the corner card, particularly if that person is well-known. This makes your mailing look personal and is almost certain to get opened.

It was a plain white envelope with nothing on it. No teaser copy, no deadline just "HERMAN CAIN" in the return address and they used a USA stamp. My husband's name and address was in a blue hand written font type. On the back of the flap was "Friends of Herman Cain" and their address. Inside I found the letter and the separate "Undecided Voters" pamphlet extremely good too. They definitely hired a pro. Their youtube ads are ridiculous, but they did good on this thing. :(

SchleckBros
11-19-2011, 11:23 PM
Just wanted to report that my husband got a letter from Herman Cain today. My husband made me laugh though. "You are going to love this. It starts". Then he showed me the letter. I think I let out a little shriek of joy and disgust all in one. :p

I believe looking at what other candidates are doing is important.

Out of respect for my husband's privacy I won't post the actual envelope with his name and our address, but they went with the completely blank envelope idea and followed this to the T.

From the website I linked above:

It was a plain white envelope with nothing on it. No teaser copy, no deadline just "HERMAN CAIN" in the return address and they used a USA stamp. My husband's name and address was in a blue hand written font type. On the back of the flap was "Friends of Herman Cain" and their address. Inside I found the letter and the separate "Undecided Voters" pamphlet extremely good too. They definitely hired a pro. Their youtube ads are ridiculous, but they did good on this thing. :(

Could you post the pamphlet? I'm interested to see how it compares to our Super Brochure.

Eric21ND
11-19-2011, 11:51 PM
any pictures?

Birdlady
11-20-2011, 12:32 AM
Sorry I wasn't checking the forum. :p I'll try to get some pictures. It was just a regular sales copy letter, but I liked the added "undecided voters" thing they threw in too. The envelope is so plain that there is almost nothing to show. lol

Liber Team
11-20-2011, 12:59 AM
Can we get YouthForPaul.com on the super brochures?

Birdlady
11-20-2011, 01:32 AM
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x434/fortheinternets/hermancain001-1.jpg

Edit: I asked my husband and he said it was cool to let a little bit of the text to show. I'm paranoid I guess.

The regular sales copy was the usual stuff, but they threw in this little thing that slipped out when I went to open the sales copy.

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x434/fortheinternets/hermancain002.jpg

In this he talks about the Tea Party and how it led to an uprising to a Republican win in 2010. He acknowledges that without the Tea Partiers, Republicans will not win in 2012. He talks about how he can bring in the black vote (not joking) and other pandering nonsense. He is running for President and he is not running for second.

If this helps some of you see what direct marketing is all about, then great. :)

squarepusher
11-20-2011, 01:37 AM
dislike bulk mailers

jtbraine
11-20-2011, 02:05 AM
PLAIN WHITE ENVELOPE WITH HAND WRITTEN NAME & ADDRESS
Save the money on a colourful envelope and employ someone to hand write the name and address. EVERYONE opens hand written envelops. It shows someone took the time and care to get their attention. It says grassroots all over it.

Muwahid
11-20-2011, 02:09 AM
Not the most impressive thing I've ever seen. The fact the Ron Paul packages go out with a DVD and all, I guarantee they'll open it. It's like getting a package, who doesn't open a package? That alone is better than any design.

Crotale
11-20-2011, 07:13 AM
hand write on the envelope, statistically speaking, people are more likely to open a hand-written envelope. I know theres a lot, but Ron paul supporters can meet up and write on them.

This. It is also make it more personal, so people are likely to be more receptive.

Paulitics 2011
11-20-2011, 01:17 PM
Wait, this isn't factored into the costs of the mailing?

AdamT
11-21-2011, 11:16 AM
Just posted Tom's letter! Check it out!

http://supervoterbomb.com/letter.html

Folks we need to keep hammering away on this project, and time is of the essence. If you haven't donated already please do. If you have donated please consider giving more if you can. It's now or never. There will never be another chance to make Ron Paul president, and it all starts with winning Iowa. This project will help win Iowa in a big way. Like the Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ron-Paul-Supervoter-Bomb/137121679728231), invite your friends to the Facebook Event (http://www.facebook.com/events/290251490996891/), and share.

Hit up that Mail Some button hard http://supervoterbomb.com/ (Paypal at the bottom of the page if you so choose)

JamesButabi
11-21-2011, 11:27 AM
The Woods letter is exceptional. Thanks for all of your efforts.

SchleckBros
11-21-2011, 11:46 AM
How about a manila envelope? They're cheap and everyone would open them up just so they can see what was inside.

TexMac
11-21-2011, 11:53 AM
I kind of like the plain envelope idea, but if you decide to go with printing, I think the most effective thing to say would be "This is how we beat Obama." That's a major deciding factor for most primary voters, and it's one of our strongest selling points: Ron can beat Obama.

PursuePeace
11-21-2011, 11:55 AM
Just posted Tom's letter! Check it out!

http://supervoterbomb.com/letter.html

Perfect!

AdamT
11-21-2011, 12:56 PM
Someone had a great idea of folding the brochure in half, which will make the envelope much smaller @ 6x9 vs 6x11.

Eric21ND
11-21-2011, 01:48 PM
Does that mean the recipient receives a crumpled brochure?

Birdlady
11-21-2011, 02:01 PM
Someone had a great idea of folding the brochure in half, which will make the envelope much smaller @ 6x9 vs 6x11.

I will be honest and say I don't think this is a good idea at all. It will look very unprofessional in my opinion to have the brochure bend in half. The way the materials are placed inside the envelope is part of the marketing as well.

Is there any way to run some of these ideas by a professional that specializes in political mailings?