PDA

View Full Version : Rand, DeMint, Mike Lee, Try To Cut Debt By $4 Trillion

ZanZibar
11-17-2011, 07:31 PM
Senators ‘Go Big’ with Alternative Debt Plan Recommendation

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, Sens. Rand Paul, Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) and Mike Lee (R-Utah) introduced a plan to give the Joint Select Committee on Deficit Reduction a chance to do what bipartisan coalitions of Senators have stated they want done: “Go big” with $4 trillion in deficit reduction.

The plan intends to close loopholes and eliminate subsidies and entitlement benefits for millionaires and billionaires. It includes true tax reform, so no person or corporation gets away with paying zero taxes. It also includes real, sustainable spending cuts totaling more than $6 trillion over 10 years from current baselines.

The list of cuts proposed today includes items such as capping welfare programs, eliminating duplicative programs, and cutting back from the excessive spending spree of the past three years. There are cuts to entitlements, cuts to security, and cuts to the arts. The cuts are spread across the broad spectrum of federal intrusion into our lives and wallets, and everyone bears some share of the costs.

The Supercommittee and Members of Congress need not agree on all $6 trillion. They need to only agree on any $4 trillion to go “big.” And if they fail at that, they only need to agree to 25 percent of these cuts to meet their goal of cutting $1.5 trillion. A list of these cuts is attached to this e-mail.

So, while many here in Washington continue to say that cuts of $1.5 trillion are simply not possible, Sens. Paul, DeMint and Lee have shown today that not only are they possible, but actually quite simple. “Presented here is four times the deficit reduction needed to meet their goals,” Sen. Paul said. “But we urge them not to simply meet this goal that the markets have already deemed inadequate. We urge them to go big and to urge at least $4 trillion dollars in deficit reduction as part of any debt deal.”

“This is a perilous time for America, and we need serious, immediate action to save our nation from fiscal ruin. We have over $15 trillion in debt, an amount larger than our entire economy. While the supercommittee wastes time arguing how much more to take from American families and business in new taxes to pay for more spending, we’re offering real spending cuts,” Sen. DeMint said. “If we simply cut obvious waste, eliminate low-priority spending, and implement commonsense reforms, then we can stop over $5 trillion in unnecessary spending.”

Feeding the Abscess
11-17-2011, 10:09 PM
Senators ‘Go Big’ with Alternative Debt Plan Recommendation

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, Sens. Rand Paul, Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) and Mike Lee (R-Utah) introduced a plan to give the Joint Select Committee on Deficit Reduction a chance to do what bipartisan coalitions of Senators have stated they want done: “Go big” with $4 trillion in deficit reduction.

The plan intends to close loopholes and eliminate subsidies and entitlement benefits for millionaires and billionaires. It includes true tax reform, so no person or corporation gets away with paying zero taxes. It also includes real, sustainable spending cuts totaling more than $6 trillion over 10 years from current baselines.

The list of cuts proposed today includes items such as capping welfare programs, eliminating duplicative programs, and cutting back from the excessive spending spree of the past three years. There are cuts to entitlements, cuts to security, and cuts to the arts. The cuts are spread across the broad spectrum of federal intrusion into our lives and wallets, and everyone bears some share of the costs.

The Supercommittee and Members of Congress need not agree on all $6 trillion. They need to only agree on any $4 trillion to go “big.” And if they fail at that, they only need to agree to 25 percent of these cuts to meet their goal of cutting $1.5 trillion. A list of these cuts is attached to this e-mail.

So, while many here in Washington continue to say that cuts of $1.5 trillion are simply not possible, Sens. Paul, DeMint and Lee have shown today that not only are they possible, but actually quite simple. “Presented here is four times the deficit reduction needed to meet their goals,” Sen. Paul said. “But we urge them not to simply meet this goal that the markets have already deemed inadequate. We urge them to go big and to urge at least $4 trillion dollars in deficit reduction as part of any debt deal.”

“This is a perilous time for America, and we need serious, immediate action to save our nation from fiscal ruin. We have over $15 trillion in debt, an amount larger than our entire economy. While the supercommittee wastes time arguing how much more to take from American families and business in new taxes to pay for more spending, we’re offering real spending cuts,” Sen. DeMint said. “If we simply cut obvious waste, eliminate low-priority spending, and implement commonsense reforms, then we can stop over $5 trillion in unnecessary spending.”

I stopped there. I really couldn't care less about what the rest of the proposal entails. I'm against it.

low preference guy
11-17-2011, 10:14 PM
That's like a bit less than a third of what the government borrows in a year, right? (I could be completely wrong)

Draco33
11-28-2011, 08:57 PM
I stopped there. I really couldn't care less about what the rest of the proposal entails. I'm against it.

I understand we are all against paying any taxes, but wouldn't it seem more "logical" if the loopholes are closed so those big corporations also pay their percentage? Again I understand that ideally we cut spending and programs so that everyone’s taxes are reduce, but if we are honest with ourselves we know that there is no way we are going to get a majority.

Granted closing the loopholes could back backfire and force the corporations to have lay-offs in order to keep their profits.
I don’t know, I’m glad it isn’t me up there on capitol hill having to make discussions and compromises to try and get things done.

Inny Binny
11-28-2011, 09:31 PM
I support closing corporate loopholes, but my reading of that sentence appears to suggest forcing poor people to pay net income tax.

Feeding the Abscess
11-29-2011, 02:55 AM
I support closing corporate loopholes, but my reading of that sentence appears to suggest forcing poor people to pay net income tax.

My thoughts exactly.

gerryb
11-29-2011, 03:20 AM
And this is why we will not see change in our lifetimes. Ignorance.

Diurdi
11-29-2011, 03:29 AM
I stopped there. I really couldn't care less about what the rest of the proposal entails. I'm against it. It distorts the market to give certain people 0% taxes while others have to pay much higher. Tax loopholes are bad for the economy.

AlexG
11-29-2011, 03:46 AM
It distorts the market to give certain people 0% taxes while others have to pay much higher. Tax loopholes are bad for the economy.

Tax loopholes distort the market? Letting companies keep their money is bad for the economy? wat?

revgen
11-29-2011, 04:04 AM
I wouldn't worry about "tax reform" proposals. Ultimately, cutting the spending will help to deter the most oppressive tax of all. The inflation tax. No more borrowing from the Fed.

Once we curb the inflation, we can settle the other taxes for another day.